Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW

Default Best wishes for 2006, and a periodic courtesy reminder

As a well-known AFW resident busybody, I've periodically taken it upon
myself to post courtesy reminders. I'll take this opportunity to wish
everyone a happy & TCA-free 2006, and once again post a reminder.

1) This is Usenet , a tool for discussion. Don't expect to post
something w/o possibility of someone refuting it.

2) Please keep in mind that many of the contributors to alt.food.wine
do not speak English as their first language. Also even for some of us
who do, it's easy to mistake the tone of written communication. If
there's 2 ways to take a post, be easy on yourself and decide the least
offensive perception is the correct one.

3) Let's try to avoid personal comments. If you don't like someone,
filter their posts. The details of how to do that vary according to
newsreader software, but tutorials exist on the Web for employing
filters in all the popular newsreaders.

4) If you realize someone's intent is to provoke and annoy (in other
words, a troll) , please just ignore. Every time you argue with them,
or invoke their name, you're stroking their (IMHO somewhat warped) ego.

http://www.onlinenetiquette.com/courtesy9.html

If you feel compelled to respond,I can't stop you. But please don't
quote trolls , it puts their words in front of those who have
kill-filed them

5)New Folks: you're here to learn, right? So if someone who has been on

AFW for years and serious about wine for 30+ corrects you, learn from
it, don't get your feelings hurt.

6) Old folks : remember you were new (to wine and AFW) at some point,
too. Correct if need be, but let's try to do so graciously.

7) Personally, I find it less than helpful to make generalizations
about people based on where they live, what they do outside wine, etc.
People who invoke offensive off-topic subjects on a regular basis
deserve to be killfiled, period. There are of course fora for your
political opinons, racism, xenophobia, sexism, etc., this just isn't
one of them.

8) No one is superior (In My Humble Opinion) based on either the
simplicity or elegance of what they eat or drink. Isn't this group big
enough for someone to have Shiraz with BBQed chicken and another to
have rack of lamb with a fine Pauillac? Does it somehow offend you to
read about a meal you wouldn't eat yourself? If someone says that they
will not drink certain types of wines, don't waste your time worrying
about their opinions of those wines, listen to those that do.

9)Newbies: we welcome your participation . But as in ANY social
situation, whether on or off line, it is wisest not to attack a
respected member of a community while a newbie, it really won't win you
any points. It is a time-honored tradition that one should lurk for a
while before posting to get a feel re tone of a group.

So there. As usual, I'm sure I've offended a couple of old-timers and a

couple of newbies, but hope the rest of you can take these remarks to
heart. I don't claim to be immune to digression ;all I'm asking is that

we try to keep these guidelines in mind.

best wishes for 2006,
Dale

Posted to alt.food.wine
Richard Neidich

Hey Dale, why do you do this courtesy reminder everytime one of us posts
some anti something political commentary :-)

"DaleW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> [...]
> have rack of lamb with a fine Pauillac? Does it somehow offend you to
> read about a meal you wouldn't eat yourself? If someone says that they
> will not drink certain types of wines, don't waste your time worrying
> about their opinions of those wines, listen to those that do.
>
> 9)Newbies: we welcome your participation . But as in ANY social
> situation, whether on or off line, it is wisest not to attack a
> respected member of a community while a newbie, it really won't win you
> any points. It is a time-honored tradition that one should lurk for a
> while before posting to get a feel re tone of a group.
>
> So there. As usual, I'm sure I've offended a couple of old-timers and a
>
> couple of newbies, but hope the rest of you can take these remarks to
> heart. I don't claim to be immune to digression ;all I'm asking is that
>
> we try to keep these guidelines in mind.

Posted to alt.food.wine
Ken Blake

DaleW wrote:

> So there. As usual, I'm sure I've offended a couple of old-timers and
> a couple of newbies, but hope the rest of you can take these remarks to
> heart. I don't claim to be immune to digression ;all I'm asking is
> that we try to keep these guidelines in mind.

Nothing that should be offensive that I can see in any of that, Dale. It's
all excellent advice.

> best wishes for 2006,

Same to you and Betsy, and everyone else here.

--
Ken Blake
Please reply to the newsgroup

Periodic Courtesy Reminder DaleW Wine 0 18-03-2009 12:24 PM
Periodic Courtesy Reminder DaleW Wine 1 27-03-2007 03:06 PM
Happy (US) Thanksgiving, and periodic courtesy reminder DaleW Wine 2 23-11-2006 03:14 AM
Periodic courtesy reminder DaleW Wine 5 11-03-2005 02:54 AM
Periodic Courtesy Reminder Dale Williams Wine 2 17-09-2004 10:08 PM