Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Keller and Drouhin

With some shu mai and assorted leftovers, the 2007*Keller*Riesling
Kabinett (Rheinhessen). Rich peachy fruit, some citrus, off-dry but
with bright acids keeping it sharp. Nice length, some minerality,
quite good for under $20 Riesling. B/B+

Betsy made a roast chicken Monday, accompanied by roasted root
vegetables (parsnips and beets) and a Napa/apple slaw. We had the
2001 Drouhin Gevrey-Chambertin as our dinner wine. This is a very nice
wine that's drinking well now, though it reminded me more of a
Chambolle or Volnay than a Gevrey at first. Floral on the nose,
slightly tart but full red fruits on the palate, just a wisp of
tannins, good acids. Cherries with a hint of blood orange. More
delicate than meaty or earthy. Nice with the chicken. As we finished
dinner Betsy got a call from the pianist from her trio, who was
stranded at LGA on her way from Boston to NY. Betsy went and fetched
her, we all had a small glass of the Gevrey on their return. About 3
hours after opening it was showing more of that meaty/soil edge I
associate with Gevrey. Not the most complex Burg, but an excellent
showing for a village wine. B+/A-

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 3, 8:41�am, DaleW > wrote:
> With some shu mai and assorted leftovers, the 2007�Keller�Riesling
> Kabinett (Rheinhessen). Rich peachy fruit, some citrus, off-dry but
> with bright acids keeping it sharp. Nice length, some minerality,
> quite good for under $20 Riesling. B/B+
>
> Betsy made a roast chicken Monday, accompanied by roasted root
> vegetables (parsnips and �beets) and a Napa/apple slaw. We had the
> 2001 Drouhin Gevrey-Chambertin as our dinner wine. This is a very nice
> wine that's drinking well now, though it reminded me more of a
> Chambolle or Volnay than a Gevrey at first. Floral on the nose,
> slightly tart but full red fruits on the palate, just a wisp of
> tannins, good acids. Cherries with a hint of blood orange. More
> delicate than meaty or earthy. Nice with the chicken. As we finished
> dinner Betsy got a call from the pianist from her trio, who was
> stranded at LGA on her way from Boston to NY. Betsy went and fetched
> her, we all had a small glass of the Gevrey on their return. About 3
> hours after opening it was showing more of that meaty/soil edge I
> associate with Gevrey. Not the most complex Burg, but an excellent
> showing for a village wine. B+/A-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> �

I find that Drouhin's village Gevrey is usually consistantly good from
vintage to vintage. I just had a bottle of the '04 that was quite
good if not just a tad lean but not green. Perhaps it's the age issue
but I'm finding less green notes in the '04's as they get a little
time on them.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 3, 9:03*am, wrote:
> On Mar 3, 8:41 am, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > With some shu mai and assorted leftovers, the 2007 Keller Riesling
> > Kabinett (Rheinhessen). Rich peachy fruit, some citrus, off-dry but
> > with bright acids keeping it sharp. Nice length, some minerality,
> > quite good for under $20 Riesling. B/B+

> > Betsy made a roast chicken Monday, accompanied by roasted root
> > vegetables (parsnips and beets) and a Napa/apple slaw. We had the
> > 2001 Drouhin Gevrey-Chambertin as our dinner wine. This is a very nice
> > wine that's drinking well now, though it reminded me more of a
> > Chambolle or Volnay than a Gevrey at first. Floral on the nose,
> > slightly tart but full red fruits on the palate, just a wisp of
> > tannins, good acids. Cherries with a hint of blood orange. More
> > delicate than meaty or earthy. Nice with the chicken. As we finished
> > dinner Betsy got a call from the pianist from her trio, who was
> > stranded at LGA on her way from Boston to NY. Betsy went and fetched
> > her, we all had a small glass of the Gevrey on their return. About 3
> > hours after opening it was showing more of that meaty/soil edge I
> > associate with Gevrey. Not the most complex Burg, but an excellent
> > showing for a village wine. B+/A-

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> >

> I find that Drouhin's village Gevrey is usually consistantly good from
> vintage to vintage. *I just had a bottle of the '04 that was quite
> good if not just a tad lean but not green. *Perhaps it's the age issue
> but I'm finding less green notes in the '04's as they get a little
> time on them.

The Gevrey and Chambolle are the 2 I usually buy of Drouhin's "major
village" bottlings*. I tend to find better than the NSG, Pommard,
Volnay, etc. I think they have more holdings (and connections there).
Glad to hear no Greenie Meanies in '04

* I also think the Chorey is good, but trying to stick to "name"
villages.

The Pioneer Woman vs. Thomas Keller blake murphy[_2_] General Cooking 7 23-04-2010 05:12 PM
Thomas Keller's Blowtorch Prime Rib Curt Nelson[_3_] General Cooking 48 04-01-2010 07:20 PM
PBS TV Chef: Hubert Keller Andy[_15_] General Cooking 5 16-04-2009 05:11 AM
Keller Bentonites Lee[_11_] Winemaking 1 14-05-2008 03:34 AM
TN: 2005 Keller Estate Chardonnay 'Playa del Oro' Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 2 03-04-2007 05:44 AM