Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Petite Sirah/Syrah/Shiraz

Hello All,

I recently got a bottle of 2002 Bodegas Aguirre (from Livermore,
CA, USA) Petite Syrah. I have to say this wine blew me away! Anyone
else have experience with this particular wine ? I happened to have got
a gift of 1 case (yes 12 bottles - minus the one bottle I tasted).

The question is should I cellar it or should I drink it ? I just
want to get a sense for where this wine is in terms of age - it seems
pretty full bodied, with a fruity finish, and somewhat high in alchohol
(more than I usually like).

So any advice from the wisdom-of-the-usenet is more than welcome
(oddly enough - this is a more erudite group that the www crowd!).

Thanks,
Krishnan

Posted to alt.food.wine

Krishnan,
I too love a good Petite Syrah. I have tried a few from that region,
Rosenblum has a nice one. I have never aged this grape for any period so I
couldn't comment on how well it ages. I would enjoy it in it's youth!
Paul

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hello All,
>
> I recently got a bottle of 2002 Bodegas Aguirre (from Livermore,
> CA, USA) Petite Syrah. I have to say this wine blew me away! Anyone
> else have experience with this particular wine ? I happened to have got
> a gift of 1 case (yes 12 bottles - minus the one bottle I tasted).
>
> The question is should I cellar it or should I drink it ? I just
> want to get a sense for where this wine is in terms of age - it seems
> pretty full bodied, with a fruity finish, and somewhat high in alchohol
> (more than I usually like).
>
> So any advice from the wisdom-of-the-usenet is more than welcome
> (oddly enough - this is a more erudite group that the www crowd!).
>
> Thanks,
> Krishnan

Posted to alt.food.wine

For what it's worth - I too am a fan of Petite Sirah, and had a case of
Concannon's 100th Anniversary The last bottle of which was great 15 years
on, and I have one bottle of Hop Kiln '89 which I'm kinda saving since they
ripped all their PS vines out shortly thereafter - they were getting old...
:-( Still delicious at my last bottle in '04 - plenty of structure to keep
it going for a while...

"Paul Parker" > wrote in message
> Krishnan,
> I too love a good Petite Syrah. I have tried a few from that region,
> Rosenblum has a nice one. I have never aged this grape for any period so
> I couldn't comment on how well it ages. I would enjoy it in it's youth!
> Paul
>
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Hello All,
>>
>> I recently got a bottle of 2002 Bodegas Aguirre (from Livermore,
>> CA, USA) Petite Syrah. I have to say this wine blew me away! Anyone
>> else have experience with this particular wine ? I happened to have got
>> a gift of 1 case (yes 12 bottles - minus the one bottle I tasted).
>>
>> The question is should I cellar it or should I drink it ? I just
>> want to get a sense for where this wine is in terms of age - it seems
>> pretty full bodied, with a fruity finish, and somewhat high in alchohol
>> (more than I usually like).
>>
>> So any advice from the wisdom-of-the-usenet is more than welcome
>> (oddly enough - this is a more erudite group that the www crowd!).
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Krishnan

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hello All,

Thank you all for the replies. I _LOVE_ this wine. I spent most of
last week waiting for Sunday @ 7pm (thats when I open my wknd wine
bottle). Oh my god!! The last time I was obsessing about a wine was
when I bought 6 bottles of 1996 Balmoral Shiraz - from Rosemount (but
not the $9.99 type). The Balmoral was about $45.00 - much more than I
usually spend on wine.... but this wine had me by the "short hairs".
And now I find this wine from Livermore of all places - wow!!

Anyway I think this wine has really got me. Got some nasturtium
seeds + flowers last evening for a salad thing. This wine made it YUM -
the spiciness of the nasturtium really went well with the wine - quite
unexpected really!!

At this rate, I'll have nought to "cellar" !!!!!

Thanks,
Krishnan

Ronin wrote:
> For what it's worth - I too am a fan of Petite Sirah, and had a case of
> Concannon's 100th Anniversary The last bottle of which was great 15 years
> on, and I have one bottle of Hop Kiln '89 which I'm kinda saving since they
> ripped all their PS vines out shortly thereafter - they were getting old...
> :-( Still delicious at my last bottle in '04 - plenty of structure to keep
> it going for a while...
>

> "Paul Parker" > wrote in message
> > Krishnan,
> > I too love a good Petite Syrah. I have tried a few from that region,
> > Rosenblum has a nice one. I have never aged this grape for any period so
> > I couldn't comment on how well it ages. I would enjoy it in it's youth!
> > Paul
> >
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >> Hello All,
> >>
> >> I recently got a bottle of 2002 Bodegas Aguirre (from Livermore,
> >> CA, USA) Petite Syrah. I have to say this wine blew me away! Anyone
> >> else have experience with this particular wine ? I happened to have got
> >> a gift of 1 case (yes 12 bottles - minus the one bottle I tasted).
> >>
> >> The question is should I cellar it or should I drink it ? I just
> >> want to get a sense for where this wine is in terms of age - it seems
> >> pretty full bodied, with a fruity finish, and somewhat high in alchohol
> >> (more than I usually like).
> >>
> >> So any advice from the wisdom-of-the-usenet is more than welcome
> >> (oddly enough - this is a more erudite group that the www crowd!).
> >>
> >> Thanks,
> >> Krishnan

Vinum (California) Petite Sirah Dick R. Wine 11 10-12-2008 05:04 PM
Mirassou -- no more Petite Sirah? [email protected] Wine 0 28-10-2008 09:38 PM
Malbec and Petite Sirah yeast selections Marty Phee Winemaking 2 05-09-2006 08:56 PM
Petite Sirah PP Wine 5 12-01-2006 08:34 AM
TN Freemark Abbey York Creek Petite Sirah 1978 Cwdjrx _ Wine 3 29-03-2004 08:37 AM