Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Comcast.net ...no more newsgroups after Oct 25th..

It came as a shock when I read the news about Comcast.net will drop all
newsgroups after Oct 25.
Where is everyone on Comcast going to chat about food and wine. I will
miss all of you guys and gals.
Cheers,
Rick

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 2, 4:00*pm, "Rick" > wrote:
> It came as a shock when I read the news about Comcast.net will drop all
> newsgroups after Oct 25.
> Where is everyone on Comcast *going to chat about food and wine. I will
> miss all of you guys and gals.

Google carries Usenet groups. Select Groups on the Google home page
from the More dropdown. You can then go to alt.food.wine and read the
posts. If you want to post yourself, it is very easy to do so at
Google Groups also. It requires litle more than a working email
address to sign up to post. If you want a lot of extra features that
Google does not have, you can sign up for a newsgroup reader, often at
a small fee.

Many isps dropped Usenet groups long ago. Reasons given by them are
the spam Usenet attracts resulting in much greater junk email over
their email services and the many complaints to the isp about Usenet
posts for which the isp can do little, etc.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:00:57 -0700, "Rick" >
wrote:

> It came as a shock when I read the news about Comcast.net will drop all
> newsgroups after Oct 25.
> Where is everyone on Comcast going to chat about food and wine. I will
> miss all of you guys and gals.

There are lots of other news servers available--some for a fee, some
free. Because Comcast, which I used to use, is dropping their news
servers, I switched to the free news server Motzarella a week or two
ago.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ken Blake > wrote in
:

> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:00:57 -0700, "Rick" >
> wrote:
>
>> It came as a shock when I read the news about Comcast.net will drop

all
>> newsgroups after Oct 25.
>> Where is everyone on Comcast going to chat about food and wine. I

will
>> miss all of you guys and gals.

> There are lots of other news servers available--some for a fee, some
> free. Because Comcast, which I used to use, is dropping their news
> servers, I switched to the free news server Motzarella a week or two
> ago.

Ack! I better start reading my Spam! Perhaps this isn't system wide, but
not a bad idea to move anyway.

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

Joseph Coulter wrote:

> Ack! I better start reading my Spam! Perhaps this isn't system wide, but
> not a bad idea to move anyway.

It is systemwide, Joseph. And in addition to Motzarella and Datemas,
there's nntp.aioe.org, which is a very reliable free newsserver.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

I don't think they'll drop ALL newsgroups, probably just all the
binaries. I have SBC and they did this to us about 2 months ago.
I guess it's a crack down on all the child porn out there.

wrote:

>It came as a shock when I read the news about Comcast.net will drop all
>newsgroups after Oct 25.
>Where is everyone on Comcast going to chat about food and wine. I will
>miss all of you guys and gals.
>Cheers,
>Rick

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 3, 9:42�am, Tom > wrote:
> I don't think they'll drop ALL newsgroups, probably just all the
> binaries. I have SBC and they did this to us about 2 months ago.
> I guess it's a crack down on all the child porn out there.
>
> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:00:57 -0700, "Rick" >
> wrote:
>

> >It came as a shock when I read the news about Comcast.net will drop all
> >newsgroups after Oct 25.
> >Where is everyone on Comcast �going to chat about food and wine. I will
> >miss all of you guys and gals.
> >Cheers,
> >Rick- Hide quoted text -

I know Verizon is dropping entire alt hierarchy. I have Verizon at
home, but use Google Groups and Motzarella for continuity with office.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:42:06 -0400, Tom > wrote:

> I don't think they'll drop ALL newsgroups, probably just all the
> binaries.

No, that's not correct. It's *all* newsgroups. Here's a quotation from
a message I got from them yesterday:

Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer:

As of October 25, 2008, the complimentary Comcast Newsgroups service,
powered by Giganews, will be discontinued. This feature provided
customers access to 2 gigabytes of newsgroup information on a monthly
basis. After this date, these customers will no longer be able to
access the Comcast Newsgroups service through Comcast. Customers who
have subscribed directly to Giganews for newsgroup access will not be
affected by this change.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 2, 4:28*pm, cwdjrxyz > wrote:
> On Oct 2, 4:00*pm, "Rick" > wrote:

> Google carries Usenet groups. Select Groups on the Google home page
> from the More dropdown. You can then go to alt.food.wine and read the
> posts. If you want to post yourself, it is very easy to do so at
> Google Groups also. It requires litle more than a working email
> address to sign up to post. If you want a lot of extra features that
> Google does not have, you can sign up for a newsgroup reader, often at
> a small fee.

You might want to bookmark http://groups.google.com/group/alt.food.wine/topics
which is the direct link to alt.food.wine in Google groups. This
direct link is also given in the faqs. You will still have to sign up
if you wish to post there, but you can read the posts of alt.food.wine
without any additional input. Even if you have the group from an isp
or a newsreader, it is nice to have a secondary link at Google,
because some post will now and then show at one place and not the
other.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Man that sucks!! What the hell for? Can't they filter?

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 10:31:36 -0700, Ken Blake
> wrote:

>On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 09:42:06 -0400, Tom > wrote:
>
>> I don't think they'll drop ALL newsgroups, probably just all the
>> binaries.

>No, that's not correct. It's *all* newsgroups. Here's a quotation from
>a message I got from them yesterday:
>
>Dear Comcast High-Speed Internet Customer:
>
>As of October 25, 2008, the complimentary Comcast Newsgroups service,
>powered by Giganews, will be discontinued. This feature provided
>customers access to 2 gigabytes of newsgroup information on a monthly
>basis. After this date, these customers will no longer be able to
>access the Comcast Newsgroups service through Comcast. Customers who
>have subscribed directly to Giganews for newsgroup access will not be
>affected by this change.
>

>> I have SBC and they did this to us about 2 months ago.
>> I guess it's a crack down on all the child porn out there.
>>
>> On Thu, 2 Oct 2008 14:00:57 -0700, "Rick" >
>> wrote:
>>
>> >It came as a shock when I read the news about Comcast.net will drop all
>> >newsgroups after Oct 25.
>> >Where is everyone on Comcast going to chat about food and wine. I will
>> >miss all of you guys and gals.
>> >Cheers,
>> >Rick

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 15:15:19 -0400, Tom > wrote:

> Man that sucks!! What the hell for?

I assume that they've decided it's to their economic advantage to
abandon newsgroups entirely. If you disagree, let them know and
threaten to change their service to that of another ISP.

Personally, it made no difference to me. I switched from Comcast's
news server to the free news server from Motzarella a couple of weeks
ago. As far as I'm concerned, Motzarella is fine, and there's been no
disadvantage.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
news
> On Fri, 03 Oct 2008 15:15:19 -0400, Tom > wrote:
>
>> Man that sucks!! What the hell for?

> I assume that they've decided it's to their economic advantage to
> abandon newsgroups entirely. If you disagree, let them know and
> threaten to change their service to that of another ISP.
>
> Personally, it made no difference to me. I switched from Comcast's
> news server to the free news server from Motzarella a couple of weeks
> ago. As far as I'm concerned, Motzarella is fine, and there's been no
> disadvantage.

The activist Attorney General of the State of New York (People's Republic??)
pressured a number of the national carriers to drop USENET completely -
because of a small number of offensive newsgroups. It was covered in the
news a few months ago

Now, why they listened to the idiot - I dunno..

Jim

Posted to alt.food.wine

Tom wrote:
> Man that sucks!! What the hell for? Can't they filter?

Of course they can, but they see no reason to bother. The vast majority
of ISP customers have no idea that newsgroups exist, the complaints
brought against them for DMCA violations, trolling etc. are
disproprotionately large, and ISPs see no benefit to themselves for
carrying newsgroups. I imagine that in a few years no big ISP will
carry newsgroups as a default option.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

I use the newsserver run by these guys: http://www.individual.net/

I started when it was free, because they provided a more more reliable
service than my ISP. Now they charge a very small annual fee which I
pay with pleasure - I can honestly say I cannot remember ever having
had any problems with them.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

Steve Slatcher wrote:
> I use the newsserver run by these guys: http://www.individual.net/
>
> I started when it was free, because they provided a more more reliable
> service than my ISP. Now they charge a very small annual fee which I
> pay with pleasure - I can honestly say I cannot remember ever having
> had any problems with them.

Yes, a very good server. I use them also. The fee is very
worth the service.

They are quite good at spam filtering, often the only time I
see spam is when someone quotes it.

They don't provide access to binary ngs, but these are not of
interest to me personally.

-E

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Rick" > wrote in message
. ..
> It came as a shock when I read the news about Comcast.net will drop all
> newsgroups after Oct 25.
> Where is everyone on Comcast going to chat about food and wine. I will
> miss all of you guys and gals.
> Cheers,
> Rick

It was a shock for me quite some time ago when my isp discontinued
newsgroups. However, one gets used to it and finds other avenues. There is
always google, which isn't a bad avenue until you decide upon something
else.

Dee Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
"Rick" > wrote:

> It came as a shock when I read the news about Comcast.net will drop all
> newsgroups after Oct 25.
> Where is everyone on Comcast going to chat about food and wine. I will
> miss all of you guys and gals.
> Cheers,
> Rick

*
In the past, Comcast has used 'GigaNews' as its Usenet provider.
Comcast has recently announced that it will get out of the News business.

I received an email from GigaNews, offering to continue my newsgroup
coverage with some discount -- as an old Comcast customer.

But as of now (10/27), I'm still reading newsgroups via Comcast.

earle
*
PS: I have two bottles of 1970 Mouton Rothschild -- what should I do
with them?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 27, 11:40*pm, Earle Jones > wrote:

> PS: *I have two bottles of 1970 Mouton Rothschild -- what should I do
> with them?

I also have some 70 Mouton. It has been drinking well for many years
and still is holding well. If your bottles have been properly stored
under cool conditions since release, you can drink the wine now or
likely can hold it a while longer. It is not up to the very best years
of Mouton, such as 1945, but it has turned out to be very good. Since
you have 2 bottles, you might want to drink one fairly soon if there
are any doubts about storage and save the other bottle a while if the
first one is in top condition.

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
cwdjrxyz > wrote:

> On Oct 27, 11:40*pm, Earle Jones > wrote:
>
> > PS: *I have two bottles of 1970 Mouton Rothschild -- what should I do
> > with them?

> I also have some 70 Mouton. It has been drinking well for many years
> and still is holding well. If your bottles have been properly stored
> under cool conditions since release, you can drink the wine now or
> likely can hold it a while longer. It is not up to the very best years
> of Mouton, such as 1945, but it has turned out to be very good. Since
> you have 2 bottles, you might want to drink one fairly soon if there
> are any doubts about storage and save the other bottle a while if the
> first one is in top condition.

The usual suggestion is to send them to the responder. I for one would
be happy to take a 1970 Mouton off of his hands. Mine went 2 years ago.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Rick wrote:

> It came as a shock when I read the news about
> Comcast.net will drop all newsgroups after Oct
> 25.
> Where is everyone on Comcast going to chat
> about food and wine. I will miss all of you guys
> and gals. Cheers,
> Rick

I, too, was taken by complete surprise. The first
tech person I talked to when I discovered I could
no longer connect did not seem to have a clue as
to what usenet or newsgroups were.

I was told by her supervisor that this has been in
the works for two months now and service was
extended until the 27th. I thought it was REAL
shi... that I received absolutely no notice via
email or snail mail.

I had to buy access from giganews.com with the
cost being $8 per month for the basic service.

I wrote to Comcast and asked when they were going
to reduce my cost for internet since they are no
longer providing access to one of the backbones
of the internet (usenet) and in my opinion they
have violated my contract with them. I have not
received a reply and probably won't.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message

> I wrote to Comcast and asked when they were going
> to reduce my cost for internet since they are no
> longer providing access to one of the backbones
> of the internet (usenet) and in my opinion they
> have violated my contract with them. I have not
> received a reply and probably won't.

If ever I have a problem with usenet and contact my ISP, they inform me that
it is a "free" service, implying that I ought to be grateful.
Graham

December 25th Dimitri General Cooking 10 26-12-2009 04:13 PM
My December 25th dinner will be... jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 4 31-12-2008 11:10 PM
Comcast and Usenet problem sf General Cooking 72 23-05-2008 11:31 PM
comcast is being bad to me sf General Cooking 16 07-10-2006 03:29 PM
Attn: All Comcast Users sf General Cooking 12 21-08-2004 04:22 AM