Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default comcast is being bad to me

I can read Usenet tonight because it's really Giganews, but I'm not
getting internet access. BLAH!

I'm coming down with a doozy of a cold, so I won't call them and
complain because I should get to bed and rest so I can function at
work tomorrow.

Comcast has spoken. No rfc chat for me tonight!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Wed 04 Oct 2006 11:04:36p, meant to say...

> I can read Usenet tonight because it's really Giganews, but I'm not
> getting internet access. BLAH!
>
> I'm coming down with a doozy of a cold, so I won't call them and
> complain because I should get to bed and rest so I can function at
> work tomorrow.
>
> Comcast has spoken. No rfc chat for me tonight!

Hope you feel better!!!

--
Wayne Boatwright

You can fly, but that cocoon has to go.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> I can read Usenet tonight because it's really Giganews, but I'm not
> getting internet access. BLAH!
>
> I'm coming down with a doozy of a cold, so I won't call them and
> complain because I should get to bed and rest so I can function at
> work tomorrow.
>
> Comcast has spoken. No rfc chat for me tonight!

That makes no sense that you can read giganews via your cable modem, but
you don't have Internet access. Be that as it may, when I get weird
things happen with my Comcast cable modem, I just unplug everything
involving my network access, wait a minute and plug everything back in
and restart my computer.

Good luck with your cold. I hope it passes quickly.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2006-10-05, Stan Horwitz > wrote:
> That makes no sense that you can read giganews via your cable modem, but
> you don't have Internet access.

Maybe just html protocol specific. Comcast uses a hodgepodge of
server OS's, including a few old NT's. I've experienced the same
thing, before, though did not have sf's problem, despite being only
about 40 mi from her.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 23:04:36 -0700, sf wrote:

>I can read Usenet tonight because it's really Giganews, but I'm not
>getting internet access. BLAH!
>
>I'm coming down with a doozy of a cold, so I won't call them and
>complain because I should get to bed and rest so I can function at
>work tomorrow.
>
>Comcast has spoken. No rfc chat for me tonight!

Comcast has really been sucking bad this week - yesterday my internet
access was so incredibly slow that I ran a speed check on it and it
came out at 28kbps - as slow as the slowest dialup on their list! Then
it died entirely for the rest of the day... ugh.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Oct 5, 2:04 am, sf wrote:
> I can read Usenet tonight because it's really Giganews, but I'm not
> getting internet access. BLAH!
>
> I'm coming down with a doozy of a cold, so I won't call them and
> complain because I should get to bed and rest so I can function at
> work tomorrow.
>
> Comcast has spoken. No rfc chat for me tonight!

How are you posting to Usenet then?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote

> That makes no sense that you can read giganews via your cable modem, but
> you don't have Internet access. Be that as it may, when I get weird
> things happen with my Comcast cable modem, I just unplug everything
> involving my network access, wait a minute and plug everything back in
> and restart my computer.

I had to do that just today. What is up with that, I wonder.
At any rate, I am still spoiled compared to what I was dealing
with.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> "Stan Horwitz" > wrote
>
>> That makes no sense that you can read giganews via your cable modem,

but
>> you don't have Internet access. Be that as it may, when I get weird
>> things happen with my Comcast cable modem, I just unplug everything
>> involving my network access, wait a minute and plug everything back in
>> and restart my computer.

> I had to do that just today. What is up with that, I wonder.
> At any rate, I am still spoiled compared to what I was dealing
> with.
>
> nancy

Any Comcast subscribers also notice the cable TV freeze-frame (and audio)
for seconds at a time, the last two days??

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 12:47:54 -0400, Stan Horwitz >
wrote:

>In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> I can read Usenet tonight because it's really Giganews, but I'm not
>> getting internet access. BLAH!
>>
>> I'm coming down with a doozy of a cold, so I won't call them and
>> complain because I should get to bed and rest so I can function at
>> work tomorrow.
>>
>> Comcast has spoken. No rfc chat for me tonight!
>>

>That makes no sense that you can read giganews via your cable modem, but
>you don't have Internet access. Be that as it may, when I get weird
>things happen with my Comcast cable modem, I just unplug everything
>involving my network access, wait a minute and plug everything back in
>and restart my computer.

Someone put a check by "Work Offline" in the file menu. Blah.

>Good luck with your cold. I hope it passes quickly.

Thanks. I have a long weekend to rest, thank goodness.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
isw isw is offline

In article >,
Stan Horwitz > wrote:

> In article >, sf wrote:
>
> > I can read Usenet tonight because it's really Giganews, but I'm not
> > getting internet access. BLAH!
> >
> > I'm coming down with a doozy of a cold, so I won't call them and
> > complain because I should get to bed and rest so I can function at
> > work tomorrow.
> >
> > Comcast has spoken. No rfc chat for me tonight!
> >

> That makes no sense that you can read giganews via your cable modem, but
> you don't have Internet access. Be that as it may, when I get weird
> things happen with my Comcast cable modem, I just unplug everything
> involving my network access, wait a minute and plug everything back in
> and restart my computer.

I've had a cable modem from @Home through AT&T to Comcast. Comcast's
reliability at providing a pipe to the internet has been quite good. My
cable modem lives in a closet, and I don't even have to look at it more
than once every few months; it just sits there and does its thing.

What Comcast doesn't understand (and what I'll bet your problem is), is
how to set up and run a reliable DNS (Domain Name Server). Think of it
as the "phone book" where your computer has to look up the number of
every place you want to visit, *every time* (the numbers change, so
saving them locally won't work); if you can't connect to a DNS, you
can't connect to anything. When your computer logs on with Comcast, it
gets told a DNS to use; it's Comcast's, and it often is overloaded, or
flat doesn't work. What I did years ago, was to find some publicly
accessible DNS servers (google for them), and tell my Mac to use them
instead. Problem solved.

Isaac
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 23:04:36 -0700, sf wrote:
>

> >I can read Usenet tonight because it's really Giganews, but I'm not
> >getting internet access. BLAH!
> >
> >I'm coming down with a doozy of a cold, so I won't call them and
> >complain because I should get to bed and rest so I can function at
> >work tomorrow.
> >
> >Comcast has spoken. No rfc chat for me tonight!

> Comcast has really been sucking bad this week - yesterday my internet
> access was so incredibly slow that I ran a speed check on it and it
> came out at 28kbps - as slow as the slowest dialup on their list! Then
> it died entirely for the rest of the day... ugh.

When that happens, its usually best to turn off the power to your cable
modem and any router you might use. Wait at least ten seconds, then turn
on the power and reboot all your computers on your network.

Whenever that happens to me, which is only about once every other month
or three, the steps I just detailed have a 100% success rate of fixing
the problem. I learned about this method one day a few years ago when I
called Comcast to complain about this problem.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Nancy Young said...
>

> > "Stan Horwitz" > wrote
> >
> >> That makes no sense that you can read giganews via your cable modem,

> but
> >> you don't have Internet access. Be that as it may, when I get weird
> >> things happen with my Comcast cable modem, I just unplug everything
> >> involving my network access, wait a minute and plug everything back in
> >> and restart my computer.

> > I had to do that just today. What is up with that, I wonder.
> > At any rate, I am still spoiled compared to what I was dealing
> > with.
> >
> > nancy

> Any Comcast subscribers also notice the cable TV freeze-frame (and audio)
> for seconds at a time, the last two days??

Not the last two days because I didn't turn on my TV. I usually watch TV
via my high definition DVD and frankly, I am used to an occasional
glitch like you described. The worst is the Food TV channel which is
frequently gibberish on my DVR, but looks fine on my other TV with a
standard digital set-top box. What makes no sense though is that the
Food TV channel does not broadcast in high def; its still standard def.
Go figure!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
isw > wrote:

> In article >,
> Stan Horwitz > wrote:
>
> > In article >, sf wrote:
> >
> > > I can read Usenet tonight because it's really Giganews, but I'm not
> > > getting internet access. BLAH!
> > >
> > > I'm coming down with a doozy of a cold, so I won't call them and
> > > complain because I should get to bed and rest so I can function at
> > > work tomorrow.
> > >
> > > Comcast has spoken. No rfc chat for me tonight!
> > >

> > That makes no sense that you can read giganews via your cable modem, but
> > you don't have Internet access. Be that as it may, when I get weird
> > things happen with my Comcast cable modem, I just unplug everything
> > involving my network access, wait a minute and plug everything back in
> > and restart my computer.

> I've had a cable modem from @Home through AT&T to Comcast. Comcast's
> reliability at providing a pipe to the internet has been quite good. My
> cable modem lives in a closet, and I don't even have to look at it more
> than once every few months; it just sits there and does its thing.
>
> What Comcast doesn't understand (and what I'll bet your problem is), is
> how to set up and run a reliable DNS (Domain Name Server). Think of it
> as the "phone book" where your computer has to look up the number of
> every place you want to visit, *every time* (the numbers change, so
> saving them locally won't work); if you can't connect to a DNS, you
> can't connect to anything. When your computer logs on with Comcast, it
> gets told a DNS to use; it's Comcast's, and it often is overloaded, or
> flat doesn't work. What I did years ago, was to find some publicly
> accessible DNS servers (google for them), and tell my Mac to use them
> instead. Problem solved.
>
> Isaac

Thanks. I am aware of what DNS does. That's not my problem. When my
modem goes out, I cannot even ping via IP address. DNS is not required
to ping by IP address. Power cycling my modem and wireless router fixes
the problem. I suspect that's really happening is that the cable modem
sometimes loses its DHCP lease and power cycling it causes it to renew
its DHCP lease.

Fortunately, this problem only happens three or four times a year.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Stan Horwitz wrote:
> In article >,
> isw > wrote:
>
>> In article >,
>> Stan Horwitz > wrote:

>>> That makes no sense that you can read giganews via your cable
>>> modem, but you don't have Internet access. Be that as it may, when
>>> I get weird things happen with my Comcast cable modem, I just
>>> unplug everything involving my network access, wait a minute and
>>> plug everything back in and restart my computer.

>> I've had a cable modem from @Home through AT&T to Comcast. Comcast's
>> reliability at providing a pipe to the internet has been quite good.
>> My cable modem lives in a closet, and I don't even have to look at
>> it more than once every few months; it just sits there and does its
>> thing.
>>
>> What Comcast doesn't understand (and what I'll bet your problem is),
>> is how to set up and run a reliable DNS (Domain Name Server). Think
>> of it
>> as the "phone book" where your computer has to look up the number of
>> every place you want to visit, *every time* (the numbers change, so
>> saving them locally won't work); if you can't connect to a DNS, you
>> can't connect to anything. When your computer logs on with Comcast,
>> it gets told a DNS to use; it's Comcast's, and it often is
>> overloaded, or flat doesn't work. What I did years ago, was to find
>> some publicly accessible DNS servers (google for them), and tell my
>> Mac to use them instead. Problem solved.
>>
>> Isaac

> Thanks. I am aware of what DNS does. That's not my problem. When my
> modem goes out, I cannot even ping via IP address. DNS is not required
> to ping by IP address. Power cycling my modem and wireless router
> fixes the problem. I suspect that's really happening is that the
> cable modem sometimes loses its DHCP lease and power cycling it
> causes it to renew
> its DHCP lease.
>
> Fortunately, this problem only happens three or four times a year.

Stan, I and my neighbour have a similar problem. I am using a local ISP and
the problem seems to be a low quality signal flumoxing* the wireless router.
I had to reboot in order to restore 'complete' internet access. I could get
my mail, play 'partypoker' and access newsgroups via outlook express but IE
wouldn't work. The problem went away when I went to a direct cable
connection and shut down the wireless.
*highly technical term.

Ken.
--
Volunteer your idle computer time for cancer research
http://www.grid.org/services/teams/t...9-D37D5B25B569

My return address is courtesy of Spammotel http://www.spammotel.com/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 05 Oct 2006 21:14:27 -0700, isw > wrote:

> When your computer logs on with Comcast, it
>gets told a DNS to use; it's Comcast's, and it often is overloaded, or
>flat doesn't work. What I did years ago, was to find some publicly
>accessible DNS servers (google for them), and tell my Mac to use them
>instead. Problem solved.

That's an interesting solution! I'll give it a try sometime.

It seems like comcast is big enough to afford enough servers to give
customers better access, but I guess they make more money by pinching
pennies. In any case, the fault was with "me" that time (pointing
finger at another family member) but it's still good to know
about those free DNS servers.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 06 Oct 2006 08:04:42 -0400, Stan Horwitz >
wrote:

>In article >,
> Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 04 Oct 2006 23:04:36 -0700, sf wrote:
>>

>> >I can read Usenet tonight because it's really Giganews, but I'm not
>> >getting internet access. BLAH!
>> >
>> >I'm coming down with a doozy of a cold, so I won't call them and
>> >complain because I should get to bed and rest so I can function at
>> >work tomorrow.
>> >
>> >Comcast has spoken. No rfc chat for me tonight!

>> Comcast has really been sucking bad this week - yesterday my internet
>> access was so incredibly slow that I ran a speed check on it and it
>> came out at 28kbps - as slow as the slowest dialup on their list! Then
>> it died entirely for the rest of the day... ugh.

>When that happens, its usually best to turn off the power to your cable
>modem and any router you might use. Wait at least ten seconds, then turn
>on the power and reboot all your computers on your network.
>
>Whenever that happens to me, which is only about once every other month
>or three, the steps I just detailed have a 100% success rate of fixing
>the problem. I learned about this method one day a few years ago when I
>called Comcast to complain about this problem.

Sometimes, I have to power cycle my router several times a week. I
think most of my router problems come from minor fluctuations in
electrical power, not from comcast.

Sometimes I have to power cycle my modem too and occasionally I have
to do what you do by power cycling everything. On rare occasions,
nothing works and I have to leave the computer for a while to let
comcast sorts out whatever internal problems it has. I'm done dealing
with them. I've called and called only to have them say my modem is
online and there was no interruption in service. I quit calling after
I had the opposite happen. While in the middle of a conversation with
the tech, I could suddenly get online (neither one of us had done
anything at the time). He was shocked, saying it looked like my modem
was still off line. Whatever they use to check problems definately
has a lag time, so I do what I need to do to recycle and if it doesn't
work - I give it a rest for a while. Eventually, I can get back
online.