Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [TN] A Surpisingly Good American Riesling

OK, I've become accustomed to the idea that good Riesling can be made in
Michigan, the Finger Lakes and certain other cold climate regions of the
US, but a friend recently brought over:

2006 Columbia Winery "Cellarmaster's Reserve" Riesling (Columbia Valley)
nose: lime, a hint of peach and some petrol
palate: a tad heavier than I'd like, but good crisp acidity and the
flavors from the nose carrying through, finishing clean

Not bad at all! Kind of like a QbA Riesling with more weight on the
palate, but a far cry from the cloying and heavy Rieslings I've had from
CA. Brought to our house by a friend, so I can only guess at the
purchase price (not high).

Mark Lipton