Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Great day with white Burgs and more

Today I spend afternoon and early evening at Jacques and Jill Levy's
place (Betsy had to work). Fabulously generous hosts - a great spread
of food, a lovely giving attitude, nice wines provided. The guests
reflected the hosts- nice attracts nice- and also brought some nice
wines. Some fun with whites beside the pool (accompanied by hummus,
guacamole, chips, etc):

2002 Domaine Michel Niellon "Clos de la Maltroie " Chassagne-
Montrachet 1er
Midweight, little tropical (pineapple/papaya) but with a good streak
of minerality. Some flowers and a bit of oak. Exotic without being
over the top. B+/B

2002 Guy Amiot et Fils "Les Caillerets" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
A bit more obvious oak, good apple and pear fruit. B

2001 Jadot/Duc de Magenta "Morgeot:" Chassagne Montrachet 1er
PreMox! PreMox! D

2006? Rozak Chardonnay (Santa Maria)
Fig, ripe apples, a bit short. B-/C+

At this point Jacques brought down the first of a pair of great
seafood trays: Striped bass, lump crabmeat, lobster, scallops,
crabmeat, and shrimp, along with cocktail sauce, curry mayo, and thyme
mayo.

1999 JN Gagnard Batard-Montrachet
Very rich, ripe exotic fruit, some oak, long. B+/A-

1999 Pernot Batard-Montrachet
More austere than the Gagnard, but also more focused. Clean, elegant,
smoky, minerals. A-

1998 Niellon Batard-Montrachet
Premox! Premox! Old apple skins with a little fish oil.
Arrrrgggghhhh!! D

1998 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne
Whew. I brought this praying for no premox. I've been running about
1/3 oxidized on these. This one is fairly fresh, good pear fruit with
a little lemon curd and vanilla, good length. A-/B+

2005 Radio Coteau "Savoy Vineyard" Chardonnay
Big, fruity, just a little oak. B/B+

We dragged all the stuff up the hill, and Jacques started preparations
for his steak-feast. By this time (hey, I had been there almost 5
hours!) I needed to head home to meet my wife, so didn't get to try
many reds, but got quick tastes of:

1982 Ch. Rouget (Pomerol)
This is quite mature, rather tired, a bit of caramel over the fig,
prune,and blackberry fruit. B-/C+?

1983 Chateau Ste. Michelle Cabernet Sauvignon
Sorry I missed vineyard on this one (though I think Mark said it was
first Washington wine to get a high WA score). Seemed a little tight
on first opening, but very young fruit for 25, black plum and cassis. B
++?

1989 La Fleur du *** (Pomerol)
A bit too cold (John D opened it because I said I was leaving) . Ripe
fresh black fruit, some earth, but needs some warmth. ????

There were some great wines waiting in the wings (Guigal C-R, Radio
Coteau and Pax, '73 Mastroberardino, '69 Heitz!!!!) but I needed to
get home to my tired wife.
Thanks to Jacques and Jill, the ne plus ultra of hosts.

*
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Great day with white Burgs and more

Today was a big day here in Charlotte. Laura and I got 5 tickets for a game,
asked 3 others to join us.

We went to a Pre-Season football game, Carolina Panthers v Indianapolis
Colts. First after waking hour, went to gym for workout. 1 hr on
eliptical, then 30 min punching the bag. Came home, showered, had 2 soft
boiled eggs, 4 min, 1st min full boil, remainder stove off but covered.

Then relaxed, watched some olympics while searching for wines for tonight.
Then realized still to hot and decided against wine.

Ate downtown at Capitol Grille, they made us Burgers(not on menu but as
regulars they accomodate) To hot for big meal. Had the Calimari and the
lobster Mac/Cheese.

After dinner a 6 block walk to Bank of American Stadium where the 5 of us
say us beat Indy in overtime. Then it was 11:00pm we went back to Capital
Graill for dessert and coffee. Then home. They also had a downtown
festival going on and we listened to just a little music before departing.

You know, all I can say is it was a nice Saturday night.

"DaleW" > wrote in message
[...]

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 9, 11:00�pm, DaleW > wrote:
> Today I spend afternoon and early evening at Jacques and Jill Levy's
> place (Betsy had to work). Fabulously generous hosts - a great spread
> of food, a lovely giving attitude, nice wines provided. The guests
> reflected the hosts- nice attracts nice- and also brought some nice
> wines. Some fun with whites beside the pool (accompanied by hummus,
> guacamole, chips, etc):
>
> 2002 Domaine Michel Niellon "Clos de la Maltroie " Chassagne-
> Montrachet 1er
> Midweight, little tropical (pineapple/papaya) but with a good streak
> of minerality. Some flowers and a bit of oak. Exotic without being
> over the top. B+/B
>
> 2002 Guy Amiot et Fils "Les Caillerets" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
> A bit more obvious oak, good apple and pear fruit. B
>
> 2001 Jadot/Duc de Magenta "Morgeot:" Chassagne Montrachet 1er
> PreMox! PreMox! D
>
> 2006? Rozak Chardonnay (Santa Maria)
> Fig, ripe apples, a bit short. B-/C+
>
> 1999 JN Gagnard Batard-Montrachet
> Very rich, ripe exotic fruit, some oak, long. B+/A-
>
> 1999 Pernot Batard-Montrachet
> More austere than the Gagnard, but also more focused. Clean, elegant,
> smoky, minerals. A-
>
> 1998 Niellon Batard-Montrachet
> Premox! Premox! Old apple skins with a little fish oil.
> Arrrrgggghhhh!! D
>
> 1998 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne
> Whew. I brought this praying for no premox. I've been running about
> 1/3 oxidized on these. �This one is fairly fresh, good pear fruit with
> a little lemon curd and vanilla, good length. A-/B+
>
> 2005 Radio Coteau "Savoy Vineyard" Chardonnay
> Big, fruity, just a little oak. B/B+
>
> There were some great wines waiting in the wings (Guigal C-R, Radio
> Coteau and Pax, '73 Mastroberardino, '69 Heitz!!!!) but I needed to
> get home to my tired wife.
> Thanks to Jacques and Jill, the ne plus ultra of hosts.
> �

Sounds like a nice line-up of white burgs. My luck with the 1998
Martray is about the same. So far I've yet to have a Ramonet or a
Domaine Leflaive that's been premoxed I still have about 1/2 a case
left of the Martray and I've been opening virtually every white burg
I've got prior to 2004. It seems to run in streaks for me. You seem
to be on a run with Radio Coteau these days. Sometimes I like it and
other times it seems a bit over the top. I'm joining some friends for
a tasting on Thursday of "cult" wines so perhaps "over the top" might
be an understatement.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Aug 10, 1:31�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Aug 9, 11:00 pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > Today I spend afternoon and early evening at Jacques and Jill Levy's
> > place (Betsy had to work). Fabulously generous hosts - a great spread
> > of food, a lovely giving attitude, nice wines provided. The guests
> > reflected the hosts- nice attracts nice- and also brought some nice
> > wines. Some fun with whites beside the pool (accompanied by hummus,
> > guacamole, chips, etc):

> > 2002 Domaine Michel Niellon "Clos de la Maltroie " Chassagne-
> > Montrachet 1er
> > Midweight, little tropical (pineapple/papaya) but with a good streak
> > of minerality. Some flowers and a bit of oak. Exotic without being
> > over the top. B+/B

> > 2002 Guy Amiot et Fils "Les Caillerets" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
> > A bit more obvious oak, good apple and pear fruit. B

> > 2001 Jadot/Duc de Magenta "Morgeot:" Chassagne Montrachet 1er
> > PreMox! PreMox! D

> > 2006? Rozak Chardonnay (Santa Maria)
> > Fig, ripe apples, a bit short. B-/C+

> > 1999 JN Gagnard Batard-Montrachet
> > Very rich, ripe exotic fruit, some oak, long. B+/A-

> > 1999 Pernot Batard-Montrachet
> > More austere than the Gagnard, but also more focused. Clean, elegant,
> > smoky, minerals. A-

> > 1998 Niellon Batard-Montrachet
> > Premox! Premox! Old apple skins with a little fish oil.
> > Arrrrgggghhhh!! D

> > 1998 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne
> > Whew. I brought this praying for no premox. I've been running about
> > 1/3 oxidized on these. This one is fairly fresh, good pear fruit with
> > a little lemon curd and vanilla, good length. A-/B+

> > 2005 Radio Coteau "Savoy Vineyard" Chardonnay
> > Big, fruity, just a little oak. B/B+

> > There were some great wines waiting in the wings (Guigal C-R, Radio
> > Coteau and Pax, '73 Mastroberardino, '69 Heitz!!!!) but I needed to
> > get home to my tired wife.
> > Thanks to Jacques and Jill, the ne plus ultra of hosts.
> >

> Sounds like a nice line-up of white burgs. �My luck with the 1998
> Martray is about the same. So far I've yet to have a Ramonet or a
> Domaine Leflaive that's been premoxed I still have about 1/2 a case
> left of the Martray and I've been opening virtually every white burg
> I've got prior to 2004. �It seems to run in streaks for me. �You seem
> to be on a run with Radio Coteau these days. �Sometimes I like it and
> other times it seems a bit over the top. �I'm joining some friends for
> a tasting on Thursday of "cult" wines so perhaps "over the top" might
> be an understatement.- Hide quoted text -

You're lucky with Ramonet, seem for many people to be one of the
hardest hit. Everyone seems to agree Leflaive mostly dodged the
bullet. Funnily, after I opened my BdMartray and it was fine, Golodetz
said he had never had a oxidized BdM. That's the advantage of
http://oxidised-burgs.wikispaces.com/
gets bigger samples. I need to enter some (good and bad).

Funnily, I think I've only had Radio Coteau 3 times. Peter Marsh
brought wines from his vineyard (2 official RCs, plus one where Eric S
made only 12 cases so it wasn't released, one from another maker) when
I was in Sacramento last week. Others were both at this pool party,
different years. John Dawson, a lawyer who writes for Sonoma Wine
Review and volunteered at RC as a cellar rat, brought both times.
There was a PN from Savoy, too, but I left too early.