Posted to alt.food.wine
DaleW DaleW is offline

Default TN: Great day with white Burgs and more

On Aug 10, 1:31�pm, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Aug 9, 11:00 pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > Today I spend afternoon and early evening at Jacques and Jill Levy's
> > place (Betsy had to work). Fabulously generous hosts - a great spread
> > of food, a lovely giving attitude, nice wines provided. The guests
> > reflected the hosts- nice attracts nice- and also brought some nice
> > wines. Some fun with whites beside the pool (accompanied by hummus,
> > guacamole, chips, etc):

> > 2002 Domaine Michel Niellon "Clos de la Maltroie " Chassagne-
> > Montrachet 1er
> > Midweight, little tropical (pineapple/papaya) but with a good streak
> > of minerality. Some flowers and a bit of oak. Exotic without being
> > over the top. B+/B

> > 2002 Guy Amiot et Fils "Les Caillerets" Chassagne-Montrachet 1er
> > A bit more obvious oak, good apple and pear fruit. B

> > 2001 Jadot/Duc de Magenta "Morgeot:" Chassagne Montrachet 1er
> > PreMox! PreMox! D

> > 2006? Rozak Chardonnay (Santa Maria)
> > Fig, ripe apples, a bit short. B-/C+

> > 1999 JN Gagnard Batard-Montrachet
> > Very rich, ripe exotic fruit, some oak, long. B+/A-

> > 1999 Pernot Batard-Montrachet
> > More austere than the Gagnard, but also more focused. Clean, elegant,
> > smoky, minerals. A-

> > 1998 Niellon Batard-Montrachet
> > Premox! Premox! Old apple skins with a little fish oil.
> > Arrrrgggghhhh!! D

> > 1998 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne
> > Whew. I brought this praying for no premox. I've been running about
> > 1/3 oxidized on these. This one is fairly fresh, good pear fruit with
> > a little lemon curd and vanilla, good length. A-/B+

> > 2005 Radio Coteau "Savoy Vineyard" Chardonnay
> > Big, fruity, just a little oak. B/B+

> > There were some great wines waiting in the wings (Guigal C-R, Radio
> > Coteau and Pax, '73 Mastroberardino, '69 Heitz!!!!) but I needed to
> > get home to my tired wife.
> > Thanks to Jacques and Jill, the ne plus ultra of hosts.
> >

> Sounds like a nice line-up of white burgs. �My luck with the 1998
> Martray is about the same. So far I've yet to have a Ramonet or a
> Domaine Leflaive that's been premoxed I still have about 1/2 a case
> left of the Martray and I've been opening virtually every white burg
> I've got prior to 2004. �It seems to run in streaks for me. �You seem
> to be on a run with Radio Coteau these days. �Sometimes I like it and
> other times it seems a bit over the top. �I'm joining some friends for
> a tasting on Thursday of "cult" wines so perhaps "over the top" might
> be an understatement.- Hide quoted text -

You're lucky with Ramonet, seem for many people to be one of the
hardest hit. Everyone seems to agree Leflaive mostly dodged the
bullet. Funnily, after I opened my BdMartray and it was fine, Golodetz
said he had never had a oxidized BdM. That's the advantage of
http://oxidised-burgs.wikispaces.com/
gets bigger samples. I need to enter some (good and bad).

Funnily, I think I've only had Radio Coteau 3 times. Peter Marsh
brought wines from his vineyard (2 official RCs, plus one where Eric S
made only 12 cases so it wasn't released, one from another maker) when
I was in Sacramento last week. Others were both at this pool party,
different years. John Dawson, a lawyer who writes for Sonoma Wine
Review and volunteered at RC as a cellar rat, brought both times.
There was a PN from Savoy, too, but I left too early.