Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: white and red Burgs at La Mangeoire NYC

Last night some members of our city Bordeaux group gathered at La Mangeoire to take a detour to Burgundy. Smaller group (6), which was nice as easy to revisit any wines. I was in the mood for rabbit but they were out, so we had 2 chickens (with a couple of charcuterie platters to start).

2002 Remi Jobard €śCharmes€ť Meursault 1er
OK, whew, mature but not tired, pox-free. Pear with hazelnut, plenty of "02 fruit, good acids, good finish. B+/A-.

2011 Louis Latour Corton-Charlemagne
Softer side of CC, lush apple and tropical fruit, not as long as the Bonneau du Martray. B

2011 Bonneau du Martray Corton-Charlemagne
Bright acids, full bodied with rich apple and pear fruit, a chalky note on long finish. Theres some wood/vanilla that ideally would be left to integrate, but hard to risk it. A-/B+

Two blind wines. Table divided as to favorite (and couple people thought the MSD might not be Burgunday)

1996 Champy Grands-Echezeaux
Tart red fruit, earth, good but the acid could be a bit more integrated. B/B+

2001 Roumier €śClos de la Bussiere€ť Morey-St-Denis 1er
Red fruits, herby, spicy. Ripe feel to it/ B+

Everything open label after that

2002 DAngerville €śClos des Ducs€ť Volnay 1er
Red and black cherries, quite spicy, full, young. A-/B+

1999 Bouchard Chambolle-Musigny
This was much better than I expected for village Bouchard. Some tannin, earth, dark berry and plum fruit, a little wood. Quite tasty PN though Id have probably thought Gevrey or Pommard blind, its rather masculine. B+/B

1999 Roumier Chambolle-Musigny
More Chambolle-y, pretty black cherry laced with spice and earth, well-balanced, a pointe. A-/B+

1996 Jadot €śClos St Jacques€ť Gevrey Chambertin 1er
Sturdy full and structured, bright "96 acids with fine tannins, black cherry with smoke and a little bacon. Full and long, with long future ahead. A-

1996 Jadot Chambertin Clos de Beze
You could tell a great wine underneath, but pretty tight and brooding at moment. Big acids, firm tannins. B- for drinking now, but possibly will be best wine on table.

1999 Drouhin Charmes-Chambertin
Structured but with an elegant side, black cherry and sandalwood, a tiny bit of funk, good length, Opens nicely. A-

We did our usual voting (reds only(. 13 votes each for the "96 CSJ and the "96 Charmes, 3 for the "99 Roumier village, 1 for the Beze

There was a neighboring table having a wine dinner and we traded some tastes, I liked a couple of "13 Terre Nere Etna (I think the base and the Feudo di Mezzo) but took no notes

Good night. Really the Beze was only one that wasnt quite fun to drink, but it has most potential.