Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2006 Matua Pinot Noir Marlborough

I don't know if this bottle is at all representative of the brand, the
area or anything, but I will try it tomorrow to see if a night in the
fridge has helped.

I oppened nothing appreciable, I poured, darker than rose but still
transparent kind of like ruby sunglasses. Taste, not sure what that was,
It sure as hell wasn't going to be mistaken for a Bourgogne or even an
Beaujolais.

This was one of those impulse buys, at $14.99US a very poor impulse buy.
It isn't so much bad as non existant in the glass.

Live and learn

--
Joseph Coulter, cruises and vacations
www.josephcoulter.com

877 832 2021
904 631 8863 cell

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Joseph Coulter" wrote .......

> I don't know if this bottle is at all representative of the brand, the
> area or anything, but I will try it tomorrow to see if a night in the
> fridge has helped.
>
> I opened nothing appreciable, I poured, darker than rose but still
> transparent kind of like ruby sunglasses. Taste, not sure what that was,
> It sure as hell wasn't going to be mistaken for a Bourgogne or even an
> Beaujolais.
>
> This was one of those impulse buys, at $14.99US a very poor impulse buy.
> It isn't so much bad as non existent in the glass.

Hi Joseph,

Matua Valley was taken over by the Beringer Blass (Fosters) Group about 5
years ago, and I believe it's entry level (less expensive) labels have
suffered accordingly.

It is a shame, because the Spence brothers pioneered the introduction of
Sauvignon Blanc into NZ (although not Marlborough) - but nowadays, I tend to
regard them as bulk producers of ordinary wines.

When you get down here, I will show you some real treasures!

Cheers

st.helier

Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote in
:

> "Joseph Coulter" wrote .......
>>
>> I don't know if this bottle is at all representative of the brand,
>> the area or anything, but I will try it tomorrow to see if a night in
>> the fridge has helped.
>>
>> I opened nothing appreciable, I poured, darker than rose but still
>> transparent kind of like ruby sunglasses. Taste, not sure what that
>> was, It sure as hell wasn't going to be mistaken for a Bourgogne or
>> even an Beaujolais.
>>
>> This was one of those impulse buys, at $14.99US a very poor impulse
>> buy. It isn't so much bad as non existent in the glass.

> Hi Joseph,
>
> Matua Valley was taken over by the Beringer Blass (Fosters) Group
> about 5 years ago, and I believe it's entry level (less expensive)
> labels have suffered accordingly.

I do believe that I have proof for that statement :-)

> It is a shame, because the Spence brothers pioneered the introduction
> of Sauvignon Blanc into NZ (although not Marlborough) - but nowadays,
> I tend to regard them as bulk producers of ordinary wines.
>
> When you get down here, I will show you some real treasures!

Treasure hunting now that sounds good. See Ya!