Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Loire, CA, and Champagne while holding the leash

Last night friends had the hound and I over for dinner (more practice
for when she stays with them while we're away). Their yard is not
fenced (and patio table is low enough for Lucy to steal food), so I
got to practice eating and drinking while holding a leash. Nice
steaks, squash, and salad (plus another guest brought good stuffed
mushrooms).

NV Charles Ellner Champagne Brut Reserve
Macoun apples, aromas of yeast rolls. Nice flavors, midweight, not a
very "serious" Champagne, but decent deal for $25. B

2006 Cline Zinfandel (California)
I have a soft spot for the Cline basic Zin since the 1999 (a great
value), but it hasn't really measured up since. Straightforward red
fruit, a little vanilla extract, medium acidity, soft short finish.
Decent for "give me a glass of anonymous red wine", but not
particularly Zinny. B-/C+

2006 Guion "Cuvee Domaine" Bourgueil
I was picking up a couple of "Cuvee Prestige" wines from this organic
domaine, decided to try the basic cuvee too. Glad I did. Lovely simple
(in a good way) Bourgueil. Just straightforward red berry and cherry
fruit, with time a little smoke and herb emerge. Good acidity, decent
length, a perfect red to serve cool on a hot night. Doesn't try to do
anything more than be a nice dinner wine. B/B+

Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> Last night friends had the hound and I over for dinner (more practice
> for when she stays with them while we're away). Their yard is not
> fenced (and patio table is low enough for Lucy to steal food), so I
> got to practice eating and drinking while holding a leash. Nice
> steaks, squash, and salad (plus another guest brought good stuffed
> mushrooms).
>
> NV Charles Ellner Champagne Brut Reserve
> Macoun apples, aromas of yeast rolls. Nice flavors, midweight, not a
> very "serious" Champagne, but decent deal for $25. B
>
> 2006 Cline Zinfandel (California)
> I have a soft spot for the Cline basic Zin since the 1999 (a great
> value), but it hasn't really measured up since. Straightforward red
> fruit, a little vanilla extract, medium acidity, soft short finish.
> Decent for "give me a glass of anonymous red wine", but not
> particularly Zinny. B-/C+
>
> 2006 Guion "Cuvee Domaine" Bourgueil
> I was picking up a couple of "Cuvee Prestige" wines from this organic
> domaine, decided to try the basic cuvee too. Glad I did. Lovely simple
> (in a good way) Bourgueil. Just straightforward red berry and cherry
> fruit, with time a little smoke and herb emerge. Good acidity, decent
> length, a perfect red to serve cool on a hot night. Doesn't try to do
> anything more than be a nice dinner wine. B/B+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Went to Cline on our way out of Sonoma southward. Was very disappointed
so much so that I wanted to ask for the tasting cost back at $10 a
person. These were not at all what I remembered from days past.