Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Chablis, Loire, Champagne, Fronsac

I forgot one Bdx in roundup of Mead house dinner, the 2007 La Vieille Cure (Fronsac). I generally think of LVC as good if modern, but here it seems overextracted for a lighter vintage, dense but disjointed with hard tannins and charred oak sticking out. B-/C+

Monday was lobster rolls, asparagus, and the 2008 Huet "Le Mont" Vouvray Demi-Sec. Maybe infanticide, but damn tasty, and while it opens up nicely it didn't seem shut down from beginning. Wax, honey, citrus, and pear, this has plenty of residual sugar but it stays in background due to the lively acidty. A-

Tuesday she made penne with greens and feta, wine was the 2010 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon Blanc #2 (Touraine). My previous of this seemed tired, just a bad cork I guess as this was lively. Fullbodied for appellation, just a hint of grass and chile pepper, citrus and green apple fruit, great food wine. B+

With skate with brown butter, leftover pasta and asparagus, 2008 Bernard Defaix "Vaillons" Chablis 1er. Second try of this, second disappointment, maybe this is just closed but it seems dilute and soft. Some Chablis chalk, flint and apple, but not thrilling, B-

Thursday I had a board meeting and ate at desk, Betsy was also working - first real teaching she has done since we married. We got home about same time, I decided we needed bubbly, opened the NV Agrapart "Les 7 Crus" Blanc de Blancs Champagne. Lovely stuff, like a fresh baked lemon muffin- bready, citric, fresh with a fine mousse and mineral finish. B+/A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Nov 4, 12:00*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> I forgot one Bdx in roundup of Mead house dinner, the 2007 La Vieille Cure (Fronsac). I generally think of LVC as good if modern, but here it seems overextracted for a lighter vintage, dense but disjointed with hard tannins and charred oak *sticking out. B-/C+
>
> Monday was lobster rolls, asparagus, and the 2008 Huet "Le Mont" Vouvray Demi-Sec. Maybe infanticide, but damn tasty, and while it opens up nicely it didn't seem shut down from beginning. Wax, honey, citrus, and pear, this has plenty of residual sugar but it stays in background due to the lively acidty. A-
>
> Tuesday she made penne with greens and feta, wine was the 2010 Clos Roche Blanche Sauvignon Blanc #2 (Touraine). My previous of this seemed tired, just a bad cork I guess as this was lively. Fullbodied for appellation, just a hint of grass and chile pepper, citrus and green apple fruit, great food wine. B+
>
> With skate with brown butter, leftover pasta and asparagus, 2008 Bernard Defaix "Vaillons" Chablis 1er. Second try of this, second disappointment, maybe this is just closed but it seems dilute and soft. Some Chablis chalk, flint and apple, but not thrilling, B-
>
> Thursday I had a board meeting and ate at desk, Betsy was also working - first real teaching she has done since we married. We got home about same time, I decided we needed bubbly, opened the NV Agrapart "Les 7 Crus" Blanc de Blancs Champagne. Lovely stuff, like a fresh baked lemon muffin- bready, citric, fresh with a fine mousse and mineral finish. B+/A-
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Good review or the Huet. I was holding onto 2 bottles but seems like
they may be best now. May not wait. Crab salad is beckoning for this
one.