Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: accidental dinner party, w/Burgs, Loire, Minervois, Champagne,etc

A casual invitation to friends for dinner last night somehow turned
into dinner for 10 (we invited several couples, because people aren't
usually free on Mondays- everyone said yes). Luckily, I had some time
in day to run home for an hour or so and help Betsy (we have to move
table into living room or else position skinniest people in corners).

Betsy used 3 bottles of PN in cooking, she left me a sample of each:

1995 Champy Beaune 1er
High acids, some earth, fruit could use a bit more concentration. B/B-

2005 Maurel Vedeau Pinot Noir (VdP d'Oc)
Round and ripe (though a little herby note). Not bad for $8 PN. B-

2006 Mondavi "Private Selection" Pinot Noir (California)
Horrid vegetal nose, some VA, surprising as I expect at least no flaws
from big industrial producer. Better on palate though thin, but still
not a buy even at $7. C

As people (and a pooch for Lucy to play with) arrived, we greeted them
with pate, broccoli stem pickles, a Georgian bean dip, and the 1999
Charles Ellner "Cuvee Seduction" Champagne Brut. Fairly big, lots of
yeast and biscuity notes, apple fruit with a cidery edge. Good. B

After a little delay when I poured a couple quarts of boiling water on
my foot, we sat down to coq au vin, fingerling potatoes and peas.
Wines we

2000 R. Chevillon "Les Chaignots" Nuits St George 1er
This is showing as quite lovely, rich black cherries and a little
forest floor/mushrooms, balanced acidity, light fine tannins, good
length. Even a friend who generally dislikes Burgundy quite enjoyed.
Drinking well right now, though no hurry. A-/B+

1993 Monthelie-Douhairet "Champans" Volnay*1er
I liked this almost as much, though the acid-fearing folks didn't like
as much as the Chevillon. Bright red cherries, strong acids, very
minerally on finish. Doesn't have the fruit concentration of the NSG,
but nice. B+/A-

2007 Ch. d'Oupia "Les Barons" Minervois
I think the only vintage of this I've tried was the '99, which I liked
a lot. This was a little too ripe/plummy for me, I like the regular
Oupia more, but was a hit with a few people. B/B-

2007 Mardon Quincy VV
For the white drinkers. Nice somewhat typical Loire SB, mild grassy
notes, brisk acids, gooseberry and grapefruit. I thought a couple of
previous vintages had a little more going on, but this is a very
acceptable $15 white. B

1992 Coutet (Barsac)
Tiring. Quite popular around table, but the dessert wine always is.
Orange marmalade and marzipan, some light oxidative notes, not very
long. B-/C+

Fun night with good friends (even if I sat through dinner with foot in
icebucket). Courtney the spaniel left behind her marrow bone, so Lucy
the Basset rotated between 2 bones till 1 AM as I did dishes. Then we
both fell happily asleep.

*