Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Reverse oxidation! WGreetings,

With assorted leftovers, the 2007 JM Rafffault Chinon rosé. I haven't
been a fan of his reds, but this pink is nice. The strawberry fruit is
sweet enough to make me wonder if this is really dry, but reflection
leads me to decide it is. Lemony acidity over the fruit, a hint of
herb, good.B/B+

Friday Betsy was in Boston, and I found out my extra dog would be with
me for a few more days (her people stuck in Beijing). Gorgeous day, at
last minute tried to round up some folks for dinner, but only ended up
with a couple (and actually one came post-dinner). With sausages,
grilled Japanese eggplant with peanut sauce, and asparagus in
vinaigrette, I opened the 2005 Richard Leroy "Clos des Roulier" Anjou.
Totally not what I was expecting. This seemed quite oxidative, with a
bit of apple pie and lemon curd laced with a little oak. The oxidative
notes dominate, this strikes me more like a tired white Rioja than a
young Loire Chenin. I don't care much for this. I switched to another
wine, but when Fred arrived poured a couple glasses. I served blind,
though I told him Loire. Fred said "old Chenin", and was surprised to
hear 2005. Not as surpised as I was when I revisited that glass about
an hour later (couple hours after opening). The oxidative notes are
almost all gone (oak too), leaving behind a young and vigorous wine.
Apples, citrus, some wax. Good acidity, a flinty finish. A bit like a
lighter-styled Savennieres. I disliked at first, liked later, but will
not rebuy at $30. B/B+ at end.

Replacement wine was a red, the 2006 Lapierre Morgon. Beautifully
bright red fruit, a trip through the red fruit spectrum with me
imagining cherries, raspberries, strawberries and even blood orange.
Sweet and rich, good finish. Some smoke and earth. Lovely A-/B+

Fred brought along a wine to blind me on, I got Loire immediately
(well, knowing Fred that was easy) and Gamay almost as quick. This is
far better than my usual ineptitude at guessing at double blinds, but
it's kind of a one-off. Loire gamay is probably the most distinctive
nose in the world to me. There is a distinctive aroma I think of as
"potted plant" (a bit herby, a particular floral note- geraniums?- and
bone meal potting soil) that I only get from Gamay (but seldom from
Beaujolais). Others look at me strangely when I say this, to the point
I wonder if this is one of those genetic things where I'm particularly
sensitive to some compound (like I'm insensitive to others). This wine
has (besides the potted plant) bright raspberry fruit, light tannins,
good acidity. But the plant note is a bit much, I wouldn't go looking
for the 2006 Jean Francois Merieau "Le Bois Jacou" Touraine Gamay. B-

We certainly had enough wine open, but a chance remark made me decide
to open the bottle I had set aside for next night, the 1989 Ch. Baret
(Pessac-Leognan). 19 is certainly pushing the envelope for this
estate, but this is doing ok. My guess is it was at its prime 5-10
years ago, but it still has a good core of fruit, with a little note
of chocolate-covered cherries. A little tobacco, earth. The age shows
in a slightly dull note, and the finish isn't very long. Retasted
today it is well past offering pleasure. But for a while last night it
was a nice if slightly tired lighter weight Graves. B

Nice cool night on the patio, though I drank more than I intended, but
we had fun! Morgon was my clear WOTN, though there were no (vinous)
dogs.

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Reverse oxidation! W/Graves, Loires, Beaujolais

apologies re title, a macro escaped!

Oxidation Dick Adams[_3_] Winemaking 3 23-09-2007 06:29 AM
Oxidation reduction Adam Preble Winemaking 6 27-09-2005 10:37 PM
pH and oxidation Lum Winemaking 1 31-05-2005 01:01 AM
Fining out oxidation bwesley7 Winemaking 9 24-08-2004 12:31 AM
Newbie about oxidation John Winemaking 5 19-12-2003 12:22 AM