Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Wedding wines (including an Angelus)

Yesterday attended a wedding at a gorgeous lakeside property north of
here. Beautiful perfect day, you couldn't have asked for better
weather. A reception followed. They had catered the main courses
(salmon and stuffed chicken breast), most of the appetizers and sides
were brought by guests (I carried a platter of white and green
asparagus, beets, haricots verts, and carrots with a vinaigrette-
looked good, seemed to win fans). I steeled myself for wine
disappointment, as neither of the brides (this was a groomless affair)
drink, but spotted an Anglelus label as I neared bar, and perked up!
Turns out one adult son has an interest in wine, so all 6 wines were
worth tasting:

2007 Saint Clair Sauvignon Blanc (I'm pretty sure Marlborough)
My favorite of the whites, citrus and gooseberry with a bright finish.
Good acidity, balance, and a little chalky note on end. B+

2005 Chateau de Mercey Hautes Cotes de Beaune
My least favorite of the wines. A bit flat/blowsy, though it does have
decent apple and peach fruit. C+

2005 Ch. de Mercey Mercurey (blanc)
Bright and forward, lemony, a little nutty oak and spice. Not
especially long, but pleasant.B

2006 Cloudline Pinot Noir (Willamette)
Soft black plum and cherry fruit, lighter styled, tasty. A bit of
vanilla and smoke. Soft tannins, easy to quaff, better than most
wedding wines! B

2006 JL Chave ''Mon Coeur'' Cotes du Rhone 2006
My favorite of the day. Plush fruit, good structure, nice length. Lots
of peppery spice overlying the blackberry fruit. I liked this better
than I expected, as it wasn't as Grenache-y as some vintages. Drinks
like mostly Syrah. B++

2002 Ch. Angelus (St Emilion)
Most impressive label on table, but not drinking as well right now as
the Chave. Good black plum fruit, some vanilla, cedar, earth. But
tannins are sticking out right now, this needs time. Better with food.
A B for now, though it might do better if the fruit can last through
the tannins.

There was also a Champagne for a toast, I didn't see label but it
didn't make much of an impression. In any case, I was pretty happy to
try each wine, I'm so used to wedding wines being Woodbridge or
Beringers Founders or the like. I wasn't driving so enjoyed trying
them all. Mostly I enjoyed being with friends on a gorgeous day
celebrating love.

Dinner (including some prep) 6/16/15 jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 1 17-06-2015 06:10 AM
2000 Ch. Angelus Bi!! Wine 8 14-08-2013 09:57 AM
Is this ok for a wedding? (Indian wedding) mikeskinny22 General Cooking 1 31-12-2011 05:36 PM
TN: wines by river, including roses, Cotes Chal., Bdx, QbA, etc DaleW Wine 3 17-07-2009 07:43 PM
TN: Quartzit and Angelus's little brother DaleW Wine 0 08-05-2006 02:00 PM