Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: wines by river, including roses, Cotes Chal., Bdx, QbA, etc

We've had great weather this week, warm but not hot, low humdity,
plenty of sun. Last night there was a very good turnout for jazz at
the river. The quartet was quite good, and my little group ended up
being about 20 people. I had brought bulgogi, cheeses, and salad; I
also sampled chicken skewers, tabouli, pasta with pesto, hummus, etc.
And of course I sampled as many wines as possible:

The Pink

2008 Cantalupo "Il Mimo" rosado
Really nice version this year, sweet giving red fruit but with a solid
acidic backbone. Very popular all around, will get more. B+/A-

2008 La Galantin Bandol rose
Very pale, a bit austere, light but with good finish. B

2008 Pigmentum Malbec rose
Seemed heavy/ungainly after other 2, slightly dull red cherry fruit,
some green pepper. C+/B-

The White

2005 JM Boillot Montagny 1er
Big, ripe chardonnay, yet some refreshing acidity, some light oak/
hazelnut aromas, wish I had gotten more at $15. B+

2008 Leitz Dragonstone
Just a brief sip, but really nice. My passing impression is best
Dragonstone in years. Sweet but with truly racy acidity, good length,
impressive. B+

The Red

2007 Terra Malbec (bubbly)
Hey, I like Lambrusco- no objections to dry red bubbly here. But this
is like someone added carbonation to a low end Malbec, there's some
tannins, some black plum fruit, short finish. Others liked more than
I. C

2005 Ch. Ste Colombe (Cotes de Castillon)
This was $9/bottle by the case, and a very good deal at that point.
Nice light to midweight claret, red plum and dark berries, just a
whiff of vanilla, light tannins, nice length for level. B

2005 Ch. La Vieille Cure (Fronsac)
Decanted for couple hours before going back into bottle for trip to
river. Big, somewhat lush/voluptuous, quite tannic. Macerated black
cherries, some cassis, a little cocoa/mocha. This needs time for those
tannins, but impressive for level if you don't mind modern styling,
could hold it's own with many Pomerols. Will put away remainder for
4-10 years. A-/B+

There was also a somwhat weedy wine (Cab?) from Casillero del Diablo,
but I didn't get details.

Great night by river!

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> We've had great weather this week, warm but not hot, low humdity,
> plenty of sun. Last night there was a very good turnout for jazz at
> the river. The quartet was quite good, and my little group ended up
> being about 20 people. I had brought bulgogi, cheeses, and salad; I
> also sampled chicken skewers, tabouli, pasta with pesto, hummus, etc.
> And of course I sampled as many wines as possible:
>
> The Pink
>
> 2008 Cantalupo "Il Mimo" rosado
> Really nice version this year, sweet giving red fruit but with a solid
> acidic backbone. Very popular all around, will get more. B+/A-
>
> 2008 La Galantin Bandol rose
> Very pale, a bit austere, light but with good finish. B
>
> 2008 Pigmentum Malbec rose
> Seemed heavy/ungainly after other 2, slightly dull red cherry fruit,
> some green pepper. C+/B-
>
> The White
>
> 2005 JM Boillot Montagny 1er
> Big, ripe chardonnay, yet some refreshing acidity, some light oak/
> hazelnut aromas, wish I had gotten more at $15. B+
>
> 2008 Leitz Dragonstone
> Just a brief sip, but really nice. My passing impression is best
> Dragonstone in years. Sweet but with truly racy acidity, good length,
> impressive. B+
>
> The Red
>
> 2007 Terra Malbec (bubbly)
> Hey, I like Lambrusco- no objections to dry red bubbly here. But this
> is like someone added carbonation to a low end Malbec, there's some
> tannins, some black plum fruit, short finish. Others liked more than
> I. C
>
> 2005 Ch. Ste Colombe (Cotes de Castillon)
> This was $9/bottle by the case, and a very good deal at that point.
> Nice light to midweight claret, red plum and dark berries, just a
> whiff of vanilla, light tannins, nice length for level. B
>
> 2005 Ch. La Vieille Cure (Fronsac)
> Decanted for couple hours before going back into bottle for trip to
> river. Big, somewhat lush/voluptuous, quite tannic. Macerated black
> cherries, some cassis, a little cocoa/mocha. This needs time for those
> tannins, but impressive for level if you don't mind modern styling,
> could hold it's own with many Pomerols. Will put away remainder for
> 4-10 years. A-/B+
>
> There was also a somwhat weedy wine (Cab?) from Casillero del Diablo,
> but I didn't get details.
>
> Great night by river!
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

Il Mimo Cantalupo continues to be my go to Rosato for the summer. Isn't
the Boillot higher than $15 now.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 16, 3:04*pm, Lawrence Leichtman > wrote:
> In article
> >,
>

> *DaleW > wrote:
> > We've had great weather this week, warm but not hot, low humdity,
> > plenty of sun. Last night there was a very good turnout for jazz at
> > the river. The quartet was quite good, and my little group ended up
> > being about 20 people. I had brought bulgogi, *cheeses, and salad; I
> > also sampled chicken skewers, tabouli, pasta with pesto, hummus, etc.
> > And of course I sampled as many wines as possible:

> > The Pink

> > 2008 Cantalupo "Il Mimo" rosado
> > Really nice version this year, sweet giving red fruit but with a solid
> > acidic backbone. Very popular all around, will get more. B+/A-

> > 2008 La Galantin Bandol rose
> > Very pale, a bit austere, light but with good finish. B

> > 2008 Pigmentum Malbec rose
> > Seemed heavy/ungainly after other 2, slightly dull red cherry fruit,
> > some green pepper. C+/B-

> > The White

> > 2005 JM Boillot Montagny 1er
> > Big, ripe chardonnay, yet some refreshing acidity, some light oak/
> > hazelnut aromas, wish I had gotten more at $15. B+

> > 2008 Leitz Dragonstone
> > Just a brief sip, but really nice. My passing impression is best
> > Dragonstone in years. Sweet but with truly racy acidity, good length,
> > impressive. B+

> > The Red

> > 2007 Terra Malbec (bubbly)
> > Hey, I like Lambrusco- no objections to dry red bubbly here. But this
> > is like someone added carbonation to a low end Malbec, there's some
> > tannins, some black plum fruit, short finish. Others liked more than
> > I. C

> > 2005 Ch. Ste Colombe *(Cotes de Castillon)
> > This was $9/bottle by the case, and a very good deal at that point.
> > Nice light to midweight claret, red plum and dark berries, just a
> > whiff of vanilla, light tannins, nice length for level. B

> > 2005 Ch. La Vieille Cure (Fronsac)
> > Decanted for couple hours before going back into bottle for trip to
> > river. Big, somewhat lush/voluptuous, quite tannic. Macerated black
> > cherries, some cassis, a little cocoa/mocha. This needs time for those
> > tannins, but impressive for level if you don't mind modern styling,
> > could hold it's own with many Pomerols. Will put away remainder for
> > 4-10 years. A-/B+

> > There was also a somwhat weedy wine (Cab?) *from Casillero del Diablo,
> > but I didn't get details.

> > Great night by river!

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

> Il Mimo Cantalupo continues to be my go to Rosato for the summer. Isn't
> the Boillot higher than $15 now.

It probably sells for more normally. Didn't get from a regular
retailer. I got it from cellaraiders.com when I was just ordering a
couple of cheapies because I had a more expensive bottle, the
difference in shipping for 3 or 6 vs 1 is negligible. Ben often prices
lower end stuff pretty low, to move it. This is gone, but I see 03 JM
Boillot "Gresigny" Rully1er for $9. Not a big 03 fan, but at that
price might add if I already have an order.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article
DaleW > wrote:

> [...]

> > > Great night by river!

> > > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.*

> > Il Mimo Cantalupo continues to be my go to Rosato for the summer. Isn't
> > the Boillot higher than $15 now.

> It probably sells for more normally. Didn't get from a regular
> retailer. I got it from cellaraiders.com when I was just ordering a
> couple of cheapies because I had a more expensive bottle, the
> difference in shipping for 3 or 6 vs 1 is negligible. Ben often prices
> lower end stuff pretty low, to move it. This is gone, but I see 03 JM
> Boillot "Gresigny" Rully1er for $9. Not a big 03 fan, but at that
> price might add if I already have an order.

Thanks.