Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 2000 Ch. Angelus

I found 6 bottles of 2000 Ch. Angelus in my cellar and not a clue where they came from...? I opened a bottle with dinner last night and decanted for an hour prior to dinner. The wine is black and thick in the decanter with aromas of blackberry and blueberry. I would have easily mistaken for a new world wine as it has huge concentration with plush tannins. Black fruits, creme de cassis, smoke, in a wholloping package. Not my cup of tea. B
Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" wrote in message .......

> I found 6 bottles of 2000 Ch. Angelus in my cellar and not a clue where
> they
> came from...? I opened a bottle with dinner last night and decanted for
> an hour
> prior to dinner. The wine is black and thick in the decanter with aromas
> of
> blackberry and blueberry. I would have easily mistaken for a new world
> wine
> as it has huge concentration with plush tannins. Black fruits, creme de
> cassis,
> smoke, in a wholloping package. Not my cup of tea. B

Hmmm - these sound very much like my cup of tea!

Since you have no idea from whence they came, obviously you have no idea
what you paid for them - hence, to you they are valueless :-)

In the spirit of international cooperation, I am willing to take these off
your hands - and I am even willing to pay for the international freight.

Do you accept Kiwi Express cards?

Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" wrote in message ...

"Bi!!" wrote in message .......

>> I found 6 bottles of 2000 Ch. Angelus in my cellar and not a clue where
>> they came from...? I opened a bottle with dinner last night and decanted
>> for an hour prior to dinner. The wine is black and thick in the decanter
>> with aromas of
>> blackberry and blueberry. I would have easily mistaken for a new world
>> wine as it has huge concentration with plush tannins. Black fruits,
>> creme de cassis, smoke, in a wholloping package. Not my cup of tea. B

> Hmmm - these sound very much like my cup of tea!

> Since you have no idea from whence they came, obviously you have no idea
> what you paid for them - hence, to you they are valueless :-)

> In the spirit of international cooperation, I am willing to take these off
> your hands - and I am even willing to pay for the international freight.

> Do you accept Kiwi Express cards?

Ah, I have just read your previous post re Expensive Wines.

Perhaps I could arrange a swap with a "more than acceptable" new world
Pinot - no?????

Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> "st.helier" wrote in message ...
>
> "Bi!!" wrote in message .......
>
>>> I found 6 bottles of 2000 Ch. Angelus in my cellar and not a clue where
>>> they came from...? I opened a bottle with dinner last night and
>>> decanted
>>> for an hour prior to dinner. The wine is black and thick in the decanter
>>> with aromas of
>>> blackberry and blueberry. I would have easily mistaken for a new world
>>> wine as it has huge concentration with plush tannins. Black fruits,
>>> creme de cassis, smoke, in a wholloping package. Not my cup of tea. B

>> Hmmm - these sound very much like my cup of tea!

>> Since you have no idea from whence they came, obviously you have no idea
>> what you paid for them - hence, to you they are valueless :-)

>> In the spirit of international cooperation, I am willing to take these
>> off your hands - and I am even willing to pay for the international
>> freight.

>> Do you accept Kiwi Express cards?

> Ah, I have just read your previous post re Expensive Wines.
>
> Perhaps I could arrange a swap with a "more than acceptable" new world
> Pinot - no?????

Have you tried Quartz Reef PN?
I had some in the UK recently and I didn't know what to make of it. The
color was almost as dense as an Aussie shiraz and the taste fruit-forward,
but there was no PN character/nose at all.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

"graham" wrote ...........

> Have you tried Quartz Reef PN?
> I had some in the UK recently and I didn't know what to make of it. The
> color was almost as dense as an Aussie shiraz and the taste fruit-
> forward, but there was no PN character/nose at all.

I know exactly what you mean, Graham.
For some reason, quite a few winemakers have fallen into the trap in
deciding that their PN wines need to be big and bold to be beautiful - and
many of these are in the reasonably new region of Central Otago.
As you have observed, the result is something lush and fruit, but very
"un-Pinot" like.
Pinot Noir plantings in NZ have soared over the past decade, to the point
that there we are spoiled for choice for sub-$NZ25 wines.
I limit my consumption to the less-extracted styles, from vintners with a
little history - a little more expensive, but which, I feel, are more food
friendly.
I think the days of those big brutish wines (regardless of variety) may be
behind us - they are proving a more difficult sell.
If you can find one, try a NZ Syrah - you may be surprised.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Monday, July 29, 2013 3:45:14 PM UTC-4, st.helier wrote:
> "Bi!!" wrote in message .......
>

> > I found 6 bottles of 2000 Ch. Angelus in my cellar and not a clue where

> > they

> > came from...? I opened a bottle with dinner last night and decanted for

> > an hour

> > prior to dinner. The wine is black and thick in the decanter with aromas

> > of

> > blackberry and blueberry. I would have easily mistaken for a new world

> > wine

> > as it has huge concentration with plush tannins. Black fruits, creme de

> > cassis,

> > smoke, in a wholloping package. Not my cup of tea. B

> Hmmm - these sound very much like my cup of tea!
>

> Since you have no idea from whence they came, obviously you have no idea
>
> what you paid for them - hence, to you they are valueless :-)
>

> In the spirit of international cooperation, I am willing to take these off
>
> your hands - and I am even willing to pay for the international freight.
>

> Do you accept Kiwi Express cards?

I just checked on their relative value...however, it doesn't make them taste any better to me. I got a chuckle out of your proposition though! Pinot for everybody!!
Posted to alt.food.wine

"st.helier" > wrote in message
> "graham" wrote ...........
>>
>> Have you tried Quartz Reef PN?
>> I had some in the UK recently and I didn't know what to make of it. The
>> color was almost as dense as an Aussie shiraz and the taste fruit-
>> forward, but there was no PN character/nose at all.

> I know exactly what you mean, Graham.
> For some reason, quite a few winemakers have fallen into the trap in
> deciding that their PN wines need to be big and bold to be beautiful - and
> many of these are in the reasonably new region of Central Otago.
> As you have observed, the result is something lush and fruit, but very
> "un-Pinot" like.
> Pinot Noir plantings in NZ have soared over the past decade, to the point
> that there we are spoiled for choice for sub-$NZ25 wines.
> I limit my consumption to the less-extracted styles, from vintners with a
> little history - a little more expensive, but which, I feel, are more food
> friendly.
> I think the days of those big brutish wines (regardless of variety) may be
> behind us - they are proving a more difficult sell.
> If you can find one, try a NZ Syrah - you may be surprised.

Thanks for that recommendation!
Of course my feelings about Quartz Reef were not helped by the fact that I
had just returned from a cycling holiday in Burgundy, where the weather was
so foul that my B-I-L and I had to drink lots of wine to cheer us up{:-)
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine

"graham" wrote

> Thanks for that recommendation!
> Of course my feelings about Quartz Reef were not helped by the fact that
> I had just returned from a cycling holiday in Burgundy, where the weather
> was so foul that my B-I-L and I had to drink lots of wine to cheer us
> up{:-)

Hey, I just finished watching the Tour de France on TV (every stage!!!)
Every day appeared wonderfully fine, except for one day in the Alps.
You must have been very unlucky - or should I say lucky that you had such as
excellent excuse to imbibe your way around the Côte de Beaune

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Bi!!" > wrote in
:

> I found 6 bottles of 2000 Ch. Angelus in my cellar and not a clue
> where they came from...? I opened a bottle with dinner last night and
> decanted for an hour prior to dinner. The wine is black and thick in
> the decanter with aromas of blackberry and blueberry. I would have
> easily mistaken for a new world wine as it has huge concentration with
> plush tannins. Black fruits, creme de cassis, smoke, in a wholloping
> package. Not my cup of tea. B

I had a glass of Angelus 2000 in a tasting with friends a few years ago and
I felt it was one great wine. I did not think it was too modern or
international, and actually tasted like St. Emilion to me.

Too bad it did not make it for you. As you have suggested, those are quite
pricey today. I think we purchased our bottle for around 90 euro but latest
offers I have seen are three or four times the price, with new stock coming
from the Chateau more in the 500 euro / bottle or so.

Seems like a good opportunity to sell them and purchase some other wine of
your taste.

s.

82 Cos, 2000 Bin 389, 2000 Gloria, 99 Stellenzicht, 85 Grahams Bill S. Wine 1 21-03-2010 07:06 PM
TN: Wedding wines (including an Angelus) DaleW Wine 0 18-05-2008 07:46 PM
Mas la Plana 2000 Bert Wine 0 24-06-2006 10:52 PM
TN: Quartzit and Angelus's little brother DaleW Wine 0 08-05-2006 02:00 PM
TN: Dom de L'Espigouette CdR VV 2000 Mark Lipton Wine 0 16-02-2004 06:00 AM