Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 5 By the glass Italian Wines at new wine bar

We had dinner at the new Mima Vinoteca in Irvington last night. Cute
place, good Italian food, nice atmosphere. I had excellent fritto
misto (calamari, shrimp, scallops, & lemon, finished with fennel salt)
and very good short ribs (with veggies and chestnut ricotta gnocchi),
Betsy shared my starter and had skirt steak with broccoli rabe and
mashed potatoes.

I ordered from BTG list, you can choose 3 oz pours or quartinos. List
is all Italian, my biggest quibble is that it's about 50%
international varieties, I'd rather have Nero d'Avola than Syrah from
Sicily. We had 5 small glasses:

2006 Illuminati Cerasuolo Rosado (Montepulciano d'Abruzzo )
Pleasant strawberry and cherry flavors, could have used a bit more
acidity, but nice. B-

2006 Di Lenardo Sauvignon Blanc (Friuli-Venezia Giulia)
Clearly SB, a little grass, a little gooseberry, but thin. C+

2005 Cataldi Madonna Montepulciano
Red cherry fruit, good acidity, some earth tones, no apparent oak.
Nice uncomplicated wine. B

2006 Scavino VdT blend (I think Nebbiolo, Barbera, Dolcetto)
(Piedmont)
Black cherries and plums, some tar, a little earth. No tannins to
speak of, balanced acidity. Not complex, but tasty. B/B+

2004 Colle Massari ‘Rigoletto’ Montecucco Rosso (Maremma)
*Cherry, leather, light tannins. Approach is nice, finish a little
short and clunky. B/B-

Nice to have a new place with wine options in area.

*

When wines go from being wine boutique wines to supermarket wines Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 5 16-05-2015 07:49 PM
A Glass of the Finest Wines Australia Has to offer Mark Doyle Sourdough 0 20-06-2011 12:08 PM
A glass of wine? Richard Vegan 7 07-10-2007 10:58 PM
A gay which write in italian or english about italian wine roby[_2_] Wine 9 05-03-2007 09:43 PM
Wine scented- Wine glass candles for SALE! Diana L. Tucker Winemaking 0 18-02-2004 03:16 PM