Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Chablis, Graves, CdP

Saturday I went by Zachy's to pick up an order, while there sampled a
fraction of the Burgundies they were pouring. No notes, forgot to take
the sheet, but some wines from Bavard as well as Domaine and Selection
(?) failed to impress. I thought a couple of Potels were pretty good,
but best wines I tasted were the Lucie & Auguste Lignier line (I
bought the Chambolle, but liked the Morey just as much).

That evening friends invited me to dinner, as Betsy was out of town
and they felt sorry for me.
Excellent evening, good food (lamb kebabs, carrots, beets, more), good
wine, and most of all good friends.

2006 Domaine d'Elise Chablis
New producer to me. Quite ripe, but an acidic backbone. Refreshing
Chardonnay, lemon and green apple, clean finish. My only quibble is
that I didn't get much Chablis chalk/minerality. But viewed as a
Chardonnay, nice example. B

1979 Domaine de Chevalier (Graves)
I carried a bottle of Lagrange as backup, as I noticed the cork was
slightly sunken. No worries, this showed even better than a better
looking bottle from winter. Beautfully rich red currant and plum
fruit, cigarbox, earth. Picks up steam with air. Framed with light
tannins and good acidity keeps the fruit lively, long finish,
delicious. A-/A

2003 Ch. Fortia Chateauneuf-du-Pape
Alex says "too sweet after the Graves", but I feel that "hey, it's
dessert." Ripe grenache fruit, all kirsch and plum liquer. Some
Rhonish herb notes. Big ripe CdP, bigger than typical Fortia, clearly
a child of the vintage. Possibly a bit short on finish, but I was shot
by now. Tough to gauge following the beautiful Graves, but a pleasant
wine. B

Luckily the rain held off as I happily walked home. Nice night.

*

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 27, 11:13�am, DaleW > wrote:
> Saturday I went by Zachy's to pick up an order, while there sampled a
> fraction of the Burgundies they were pouring. No notes, forgot to take
> the sheet, but some wines from Bavard as well as Domaine and Selection
> (?) failed to impress. I thought a couple of Potels were pretty good,
> but best wines I tasted were the Lucie & Auguste Lignier line (I
> bought the Chambolle, but liked the Morey just as much).
>
> That evening friends invited me to dinner, as Betsy was out of town
> and they felt sorry for me.
> Excellent evening, good food (lamb kebabs, carrots, beets, more), good
> wine, and most of all good friends.
>
> 2006 Domaine d'Elise Chablis
> New producer to me. Quite ripe, but an acidic backbone. Refreshing
> Chardonnay, lemon and green apple, clean finish. My only quibble is
> that I didn't get much Chablis chalk/minerality. But viewed as a
> Chardonnay, nice example. B
>
> 1979 Domaine de Chevalier (Graves)
> I carried a bottle of Lagrange as backup, as I noticed the cork was
> slightly sunken. No worries, this showed even better than a better
> looking bottle from winter. Beautfully rich red currant and plum
> fruit, cigarbox, earth. Picks up steam with air. Framed with light
> tannins and good acidity keeps the fruit lively, long finish,
> delicious. A-/A
>
> 2003 Ch. Fortia Chateauneuf-du-Pape
> Alex says "too sweet after the Graves", but I feel that "hey, it's
> dessert." Ripe grenache fruit, all kirsch and plum liquer. Some
> Rhonish herb notes. Big ripe CdP, bigger than typical Fortia, clearly
> a child of the vintage. Possibly a bit short on finish, but I was shot
> by now. Tough to gauge following the beautiful Graves, but a pleasant
> wine. B
>
> Luckily the rain held off as I happily walked home. Nice night.
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> �

Dale what vintage were the Burgs at Zachys?
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Apr 28, 8:45Â*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Apr 27, 11:13�am, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > Saturday I went by Zachy's to pick up an order, while there sampled a
> > fraction of the Burgundies they were pouring. No notes, forgot to take
> > the sheet, but some wines from Bavard as well as Domaine and Selection
> > (?) failed to impress. I thought a couple of Potels were pretty good,
> > but best wines I tasted were the Lucie & Auguste Lignier line (I
> > bought the Chambolle, but liked the Morey just as much).

> > That evening friends invited me to dinner, as Betsy was out of town
> > and they felt sorry for me.
> > Excellent evening, good food (lamb kebabs, carrots, beets, more), good
> > wine, and most of all good friends.

> > 2006 Domaine d'Elise Chablis
> > New producer to me. Quite ripe, but an acidic backbone. Refreshing
> > Chardonnay, lemon and green apple, clean finish. My only quibble is
> > that I didn't get much Chablis chalk/minerality. But viewed as a
> > Chardonnay, nice example. B

> > 1979 Domaine de Chevalier (Graves)
> > I carried a bottle of Lagrange as backup, as I noticed the cork was
> > slightly sunken. No worries, this showed even better than a better
> > looking bottle from winter. Beautfully rich red currant and plum
> > fruit, cigarbox, earth. Picks up steam with air. Framed with light
> > tannins and good acidity keeps the fruit lively, long finish,
> > delicious. A-/A

> > 2003 Ch. Fortia Chateauneuf-du-Pape
> > Alex says "too sweet after the Graves", but I feel that "hey, it's
> > dessert." Ripe grenache fruit, all kirsch and plum liquer. Some
> > Rhonish herb notes. Big ripe CdP, bigger than typical Fortia, clearly
> > a child of the vintage. Possibly a bit short on finish, but I was shot
> > by now. Tough to gauge following the beautiful Graves, but a pleasant
> > wine. B

> > Luckily the rain held off as I happily walked home. Nice night.

> > Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> > wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> > drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> > promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.
> > �

> Dale what vintage were the Burgs at Zachys?- Hide quoted text -

Oops. All the reds were 2005s. A couple of whites were 2006s. Trying
to hold back on buying right now, but the '05s from Potel and L&A
Lignier were all very nice wines.
Lucie and Auguste are Romain Lignier's small children. After his
death, his American wife and his father (the famed Hubert) made the
2004s from the Hubert Lignier estate. Then apparently the widow and
Hubert had a disagreement. She made her 2005s under the kids name,
Hubert produced his own wines. She did well.

TN: Blind Graves- class will out DaleW Wine 1 27-03-2014 04:29 PM
TN: Graves, Cru Bojo, MSR, DaleW Wine 0 13-01-2012 11:59 PM
WTN: Crozes, CdL, and Graves DaleW Wine 3 10-05-2009 07:01 PM
TN: 1998 Graves DaleW Wine 0 19-03-2007 07:41 PM
"Living Graves" TofuBoy? Barbecue 21 09-11-2003 05:15 PM