Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 02 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Schlossberg Riesling Spatlese*

Day 1: Light golden-green colour. A little quiet on the nose at first,
but opening out with time to show apple, minerals and flowers with
some faint petrol notes. Gorgeous on the palate and much more open -
medium bodied, slightly sweet and very elegant with plenty of acidity,
more flavours of apple, white fruits and minerals with a long clean
finish.

Day 2: Much more forward on the nose with a really intense minerally
character. Similar flavour profile on the palate, but it just seems so
much more seamless with the minerality, bright fruit flavours,
sweetness and acidity all integrating together much more smoothly and
a tremendous long fnish. Outstanding. Makes me want to run out and buy
more - or just open the Zeltinger Sonnenuhr one-star Spat I've also
got sitting around.

Cheers,

Salil
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 29, 4:39�pm, Salil > wrote:
> Day 1: Light golden-green colour. A little quiet on the nose at first,
> but opening out with time to show apple, minerals and flowers with
> some faint petrol notes. Gorgeous on the palate and much more open -
> medium bodied, slightly sweet and very elegant with plenty of acidity,
> more flavours of apple, white fruits and minerals with a long clean
> finish.
>
> Day 2: Much more forward on the nose with a really intense minerally
> character. Similar flavour profile on the palate, but it just seems so
> much more seamless with the minerality, bright fruit flavours,
> sweetness and acidity all integrating together much more smoothly and
> a tremendous long fnish. Outstanding. Makes me want to run out and buy
> more - or just open the Zeltinger Sonnenuhr one-star Spat I've also
> got sitting around.
>
> Cheers,
>
> Salil

thanks for notes, I love Selbach-Oster. I unfortunately drank all of
my 2002s too early.
Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:

> thanks for notes, I love Selbach-Oster. I unfortunately drank all of
> my 2002s too early.

Me, too. With Jean around, it's hard to keep any white wine in the
cellar for more than a few years. Hopefully, as we purchase more
Rieslings, Chenin and Muscadet, that'll change. That '02
Zeltinger-Sonnenuhur was a lovely wine...

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Default 02 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Spatlese*

On Mar 2, 12:17 am, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> Me, too. With Jean around, it's hard to keep any white wine in the
> cellar for more than a few years. Hopefully, as we purchase more
> Rieslings, Chenin and Muscadet, that'll change. That '02
> Zeltinger-Sonnenuhur was a lovely wine...

That last comment helped my willpower jump out of the window. Got my
first grad school acceptance earlier this week, so celebrated by
breaking into a 2002 Selbach Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Spatlese*.

And... wow. Bigger, richer and more intense than the Schlossberg, but
still so light and elegant on its feet. A slightly different and more
complex flavour profile as well, with some yellow plums and peach
flavours, vanilla and woodsy herbal notes along with the apple,
flowers and slate notes that I normally get in Selbach-Oster's wines.
Really good acidity here, and an incredibly long finish. Another knock-
out (and I preferred this to the Schlossberg, which was a real stunner
as well).

Cheers,

Salil
Posted to alt.food.wine

I received this email from, my good friend, Johannes Selbach of
Selbach-Oster. I have read many good thing in this group about his wines and
thought you might be interested about his philosophy and approach to making
outstanding Rieslings. I have had the privilege knowing the family for many
years and what he writes is from the heart. This is a rather long piece, but
I think it is worth reading.

Hello Chip,
hello Si,

since this touches on a few topics that are occasionally asked about, I am
forwarding my answers to a Riesling related questionnaire ( with emphasis on
Selbach-Oster ) for your information. Thought you might be interested as
this can be useful background info.

Hope all is well with you and your families. No Easter visit this
year...we'll be missing Florida.

Best,

Johannes

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Si Beer" > writes:

> I received this email from, my good friend, Johannes Selbach of
> Selbach-Oster. I have read many good thing in this group about his wines and
> thought you might be interested about his philosophy and approach to making
> outstanding Rieslings. I have had the privilege knowing the family for many
> years and what he writes is from the heart. This is a rather long piece, but
> I think it is worth reading.

How generous of Herr Selbach to share this. Thank you for sharing it
with us, and thank him!
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 06 Mar 2008 23:17:06 -0800
Doug Anderson > wrote:

> "Si Beer" > writes:
>
> > I received this email from, my good friend, Johannes Selbach of
> > Selbach-Oster. I have read many good thing in this group about his wines and
> > thought you might be interested about his philosophy and approach to making
> > outstanding Rieslings. I have had the privilege knowing the family for many
> > years and what he writes is from the heart. This is a rather long piece, but
> > I think it is worth reading.

> How generous of Herr Selbach to share this. Thank you for sharing it
> with us, and thank him!

My sentiments, too. Thanks very much Sibeer.

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 6, 7:47�pm, "Si Beer" > wrote:
> I received this email from, my good friend, Johannes Selbach of
> Selbach-Oster. I have read many good thing in this group about his wines and
> thought you might be interested about his philosophy and approach to making
> outstanding Rieslings. I have had the privilege knowing the family for many
> years and what he writes is from the heart. This is a rather long piece, but
> I think it is worth reading.
>
> Hello �Chip,
> hello Si,
>
> since this touches on a few topics that are occasionally asked about, I am
> forwarding my answers to a Riesling related questionnaire ( with emphasis on
> Selbach-Oster ) for your information. �Thought you might be interested as
> this can be useful background info.
>
> Hope all is well with you and your families. No Easter visit this
> year...we'll be missing Florida.
>
> Best,
>
> Johannes
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------------�-----

I'll add my thanks for this, great reading!
Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for sharing that Si Beer. From what I've read of him, Johannes
Selbach seems like one of the really 'good guys' out there in the wine
world - doesn't gun for high scoring wines if he feels they're
contrived/artificial, apparently plays a major role in picking out
good up and coming producers in the Mosel (based on Terry Theise's
catalogue) and from what I've heard, went as far as dropping the
prices a little bit on one of his recent vintages for Theise's imports
so the US consumers wouldn't feel the price pinch too much (with the
dollar's decline v. the Euro). Really comes off as a great person -
and his wines all rock.

Selbach-Oster sibeer Wine 3 06-10-2008 01:12 AM
Selbach-Oster 2006 sibeer Wine 2 05-05-2007 11:23 AM
Selbach-Oster wines sibeer Wine 2 19-11-2006 10:45 PM
TN: '04 Selbach-Oster Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Kabinett Mark Lipton Wine 1 23-09-2006 02:49 PM
10 years togheter, how's about a Zeltinger Sonnenuhr Riesling Auslese 1994? Thomas Vehus Wine 4 29-09-2004 07:19 PM