Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: 1996 Volnay 1er

My turn to do dinner last night. I did duck breast over frisee, with
green beans (using duck fat) and leftover soba and couscous. I opened
the 1996 Alex Gambal Volnay 1er Cru with tempered expectations. I had
gotten 3 of these cheap, first corked, the second best described as
pedestrian. This was quite the surprise, a very nice mature Burgundy.
Rich black cherry fruit with a little red currant, earth, mushrooms,
and a hint of black tea. Nice texture. It isn't a worldbeater in
concentration or finish, but a nice Sunday night wine. I'm quite
pleased. Not sure if my experience with previous bottle was worse due
to time, bottle variation, or the limits of my tasting ability. B+

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jan 7, 8:24�am, DaleW > wrote:
> My turn to do dinner last night. I did duck breast over frisee, with
> green beans (using duck fat) and leftover soba and couscous. I opened
> the 1996 Alex Gambal Volnay 1er Cru with tempered expectations. I had
> gotten 3 of these cheap, first corked, the second best described as
> pedestrian. This was quite the surprise, a very nice mature Burgundy.
> Rich black cherry fruit with a little red currant, earth, mushrooms,
> and a hint of black tea. Nice texture. It isn't a worldbeater in
> concentration �or finish, but a nice Sunday night wine. I'm quite
> pleased. Not sure if my experience with previous bottle was worse due
> to time, bottle variation, or the limits of my tasting ability. B+
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

I've had a ton of bottle variation with the 1996 Volnays in my
cellar. It could be the expression of the terroir is so evident that
the slightest flaw is magnified or perhaps the makers weren't careful
or clean enough to achieve consistant results.
Bi!!
Visit WWW.Billburg.myminicity.com