Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Food-Wine match?

I'm doing a Lamb Guard of Honour with Apricot, Orange and Date Stuffing for
Xmas lunch.

The classic match for Lamb is Bordeaux, but the fruit stuffing set me
thinking........

The bottle in my cellar (the understairs cupboard!) I'm thinking of
bringing out is 2000 Apollonio Divoto Copertino Riserva from Puglia in
Southern Italy see http://www.selectwinesllc.com/20apdicori.html for notes

But I'd be interested in other ideas

I'm in London UK, so specific US suggestions may be of general interest but
I'm more looking to style suggestions & am looking in the price range up to
£30/$60.

Thanks,

Paul Kelly

Posted to alt.food.wine

p.k. wrote:
> I'm doing a Lamb Guard of Honour with Apricot, Orange and Date Stuffing for
> Xmas lunch.
>
> The classic match for Lamb is Bordeaux, but the fruit stuffing set me
> thinking........
>
> The bottle in my cellar (the understairs cupboard!) I'm thinking of
> bringing out is 2000 Apollonio Divoto Copertino Riserva from Puglia in
> Southern Italy see http://www.selectwinesllc.com/20apdicori.html for notes
>
> But I'd be interested in other ideas

Interesting question, Paul. I agree with you that the fruit stuffing
would tend to steer me away from Bordeaux, which I'd restrict to more
savo(u)ry preparations. Fortunately, lamb is a great foil to most red
wines, so the choices are numerous. I'd tend to think of going with a
somewhat spicier red, perhaps with a bit of tannin left to it. Some
choices would be reds from the N. or S. Rhone, some of the better wines
of the Languedoc, Bandol rouge or (here in the US) Zinfandel. Or how
about a Taurasi or Aglianico del Vulture? Your Copertino might fit the
bill, too, but it's not a wine that I'm familiar with.

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

>> I'm doing a Lamb Guard of Honour with Apricot, Orange and Date Stuffing
>> for
>> Xmas lunch.
>>
>> The classic match for Lamb is Bordeaux, but the fruit stuffing set me
>> thinking........

> Interesting question, Paul. I agree with you that the fruit stuffing
> would tend to steer me away from Bordeaux, which I'd restrict to more
> savo(u)ry preparations. Fortunately, lamb is a great foil to most red
> wines, so the choices are numerous. I'd tend to think of going with a
> somewhat spicier red, perhaps with a bit of tannin left to it. Some
> choices would be reds from the N. or S. Rhone, some of the better wines
> of the Languedoc, Bandol rouge or (here in the US) Zinfandel. Or how
> about a Taurasi or Aglianico del Vulture? Your Copertino might fit the
> bill, too, but it's not a wine that I'm familiar with.

Paul, get down to Majestic and get the Ladoix as above TN, at 15 quid its a
steal.

John T

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 02 Dec 2007 09:07:12 GMT, "John T" >
wrote:

>>> I'm doing a Lamb Guard of Honour with Apricot, Orange and Date Stuffing
>>> for
>>> Xmas lunch.
>>>
>>> The classic match for Lamb is Bordeaux, but the fruit stuffing set me
>>> thinking........

>> Interesting question, Paul. I agree with you that the fruit stuffing
>> would tend to steer me away from Bordeaux, which I'd restrict to more
>> savo(u)ry preparations. Fortunately, lamb is a great foil to most red
>> wines, so the choices are numerous. I'd tend to think of going with a
>> somewhat spicier red, perhaps with a bit of tannin left to it. Some
>> choices would be reds from the N. or S. Rhone, some of the better wines
>> of the Languedoc, Bandol rouge or (here in the US) Zinfandel. Or how
>> about a Taurasi or Aglianico del Vulture? Your Copertino might fit the
>> bill, too, but it's not a wine that I'm familiar with.

>Paul, get down to Majestic and get the Ladoix as above TN, at 15 quid its a
>steal.

A young Pinot Noir was my first thought. New World actually, but the
Ladoix sounds like it might fit the bill too.

I might also be tempted to try a white - full-bodied, good acidity and
maybe a touch off dry. Alsace Riesling? Vouvray?

Not Bordeaux.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Dec 2, 6:38�am, Steve Slatcher > wrote:

> >> Interesting question, Paul. �I agree with you that the fruit stuffing
> >> would tend to steer me away from Bordeaux, which I'd restrict to more
> >> savo(u)ry preparations. �Fortunately, lamb is a great foil to most red
> >> wines, so the choices are numerous. �I'd tend to think of going with a
> >> somewhat spicier red, perhaps with a bit of tannin left to it. �Some
> >> choices would be reds from the N. or S. Rhone, some of the better wines
> >> of the Languedoc, Bandol rouge or (here in the US) Zinfandel. �Or how
> >> about a Taurasi or Aglianico del Vulture? �Your Copertino might fit the
> >> bill, too, but it's not a wine that I'm familiar with.

> >Paul, get down to Majestic and get the Ladoix as above TN, at 15 quid its a
> >steal.

> A young Pinot Noir was my first thought. �New World actually, but the
> Ladoix sounds like it might fit the bill too.
>
> I might also be tempted to try a white - full-bodied, good acidity and
> maybe a touch off dry. �Alsace Riesling? Vouvray?
>
> Not Bordeaux.
>
> --
> Steve Slatcherhttp://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher- Hide quoted text -

I've never paired lamb with a white, but I agree that might be the
ticket in this case. Just off-dry big Riesling is not a bad idea. Good
job thinking outside box, Steve.

Personally if I had to choose a red to go with this, I'd aim for
lighter body and good acidity. Maybe a lighter Chinon or Chianti.

If you want to play

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sun, 2 Dec 2007 05:40:44 -0800 (PST), DaleW >
wrote:

>On Dec 2, 6:38?am, Steve Slatcher > wrote:

>I've never paired lamb with a white, but I agree that might be the
>ticket in this case. Just off-dry big Riesling is not a bad idea. Good
>job thinking outside box, Steve.

I have paired lamb with Riesling a few times, successfully so IMO. The
actual meat/wine combination is fine. The only question marks might
lie with the sauce and the rest of the dish (which is often geared up
for red wine) and with the expectations and taste of fellow diners.

And expectations and taste might swing both ways. In my experience
unsophisticated wine drinkers of the older generation might well like
the idea of a sweetish white wine with Christmas dinner.

--
Steve Slatcher
http://pobox.com/~steve.slatcher
Posted to alt.food.wine

John T wrote:
>>> I'm doing a Lamb Guard of Honour with Apricot, Orange and Date
>>> Stuffing for
>>> Xmas lunch.
>>>

> Paul, get down to Majestic and get the Ladoix as above TN, at 15 quid
> its a steal.
>
> John T

Already done!

Went to a "Local Dads" wine tasting at Majestic on Thursday when the Ladoix
was one of the wines. - we were tipped off that the Times were recommending
as their best Xmas buy under £20 and to get in there quickly!

Ladoix 1er cru "Clou d'Orge. Domaine chevalier. 2005.

Stunning quality, sang Classic Pinot from the first sniff - truffle, &
farmyard, gamey & cigar box all overlaying a gentle fruit.
Palate as soft and smooth as a wine twice the price from a big name
burgundy - enough tannin to let you know it's there but soft as a baby'
bottom!

Other stars of the evening:

1.
Santa Rita, triple C 2004, Mapo Valley, Chile : £19,99
55% Cabernet Franc 30% Cabernet Sauvignon 15% Carménère
http://www.santarita.com/VentaNet/asp/pagDefault.asp

Deep, dark purple, showing no age at all
Ripe black fruit on the nose with spicy Chocolate
Cab Franc green stalkyness on the palate overlaying round fruitiness from
the Cab sauv & Carménère, tannins beginning to soften but needs another
few years to reach its potential

6 Bottles in original box already stowed for drinking beyond 2010

2.
Buller's Calliope Rare Muscat, Rutherglen: £35 1/2 bottle

I've only paid £35 for a bottle once and this is a half! But worth every
penny - but don't let on to my wife just how may pennies!!!
Figgy xmas pudding in a glass & just about the longest wine I have ever
tasted.

PK

Posted to alt.food.wine

Steve Slatcher wrote:

> A young Pinot Noir was my first thought. New World actually, but the
> Ladoix sounds like it might fit the bill too.

Certainly on the list of possibles but I'm inclined to go a fruitier route

> I might also be tempted to try a white - full-bodied, good acidity and
> maybe a touch off dry. Alsace Riesling? Vouvray?

AH!

I'm already planning to open a bottle of off dry Vouvray for my daughter who
has yet to develop a palate for red wine (she's only 18!)
Chamaplou, La Cuvee de Fondraux 2002

pk