Default Pasteur Red and RS

I'm using Pasteur Red for the fourth time to make a dry red. All four
times I've had trouble bringing primary fermentation to completion.
The must sticks at about 1% RS and I struggle to get to 'dryness'.
I've been careful about rehydrating yeast properly, creating a vigorous
starter culture, keeping sugar below 25 Brix, adding yeast nutrient in
3 portions during the process, keeping temperature spikes below 95F,
and after pressing, maintaining temp above 70F. This year I've had to
add Premier Cuvee' to try to get over the finish line. Currently, the
wine tests at 0.5% RS.

i) Have others experienced this with Pasteur Red - is it a poor closer?

ii.) Does anthocyanin concentration affect the Clinitest assay? The
wines I've used with Pasteur Red are usually deeply pigmented and show
difficulty getting below 0.5% on the Clinitest.
Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.
RD

Tom S

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm using Pasteur Red for the fourth time to make a dry red. All four
> times I've had trouble bringing primary fermentation to completion.
> The must sticks at about 1% RS and I struggle to get to 'dryness'.
> I've been careful about rehydrating yeast properly, creating a vigorous
> starter culture, keeping sugar below 25 Brix, adding yeast nutrient in
> 3 portions during the process, keeping temperature spikes below 95F,
> and after pressing, maintaining temp above 70F. This year I've had to
> add Premier Cuvee' to try to get over the finish line. Currently, the
> wine tests at 0.5% RS.
>
> i) Have others experienced this with Pasteur Red - is it a poor closer?
>
> ii.) Does anthocyanin concentration affect the Clinitest assay? The
> wines I've used with Pasteur Red are usually deeply pigmented and show
> difficulty getting below 0.5% on the Clinitest.
> Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, except maybe pressing before
dryness. I've never had Pasteur Red stick on me. It's considered a pretty
vigorous strain.

A small residue (~0.2-0.4%) of unfermentable sugars is normal in grape
wines. Are you _sure_ the wine isn't dry? Does it _taste_ sweet? Rely on
your taste more than on Clinitest.

Tom S

Tom S

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> I'm using Pasteur Red for the fourth time to make a dry red. All four
> times I've had trouble bringing primary fermentation to completion.
> The must sticks at about 1% RS and I struggle to get to 'dryness'.
> I've been careful about rehydrating yeast properly, creating a vigorous
> starter culture, keeping sugar below 25 Brix, adding yeast nutrient in
> 3 portions during the process, keeping temperature spikes below 95F,
> and after pressing, maintaining temp above 70F. This year I've had to
> add Premier Cuvee' to try to get over the finish line. Currently, the
> wine tests at 0.5% RS.
>
> i) Have others experienced this with Pasteur Red - is it a poor closer?
>
> ii.) Does anthocyanin concentration affect the Clinitest assay? The
> wines I've used with Pasteur Red are usually deeply pigmented and show
> difficulty getting below 0.5% on the Clinitest.
> Any advice or suggestions are appreciated.

It sounds like you're doing everything right, except maybe pressing before
dryness. I've never had Pasteur Red stick on me. It's considered a pretty
vigorous strain.

A small residue (~0.2-0.4%) of unfermentable sugars is normal in grape
wines. Are you _sure_ the wine isn't dry? Does it _taste_ sweet? Rely on
your taste more than on Clinitest.

Tom S

Thanks, Tom. You locked on to the piece that has troubled me -
pressing before dryness. This wasn't my intention (particularly for a
cab like this) but weekends are the only time I have to tackle
pressing. Try as I may to set up my fermentations to complete for the
weekend, Mother Nature doesn't always acquiesce.
RD

Tom S

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> Thanks, Tom. You locked on to the piece that has troubled me -
> pressing before dryness. This wasn't my intention (particularly for a
> cab like this) but weekends are the only time I have to tackle
> pressing.

Rather than pressing too soon, I'd suggest delaying pressing to the
following weekend. True, you need to keep air away from the wine for that
time, but there are ways to do that. Spritzing the surface of the must with
sulfite solution (after wiping down the fermenter walls above the must),
smoothing a sheet of food grade plastic over the surface of the must and
weighting it down with flat boards (or even water) works pretty well. You
should check the must every couple of days, and stir the bottom to prevent
reduction (H2S).

Tom S

Thank you for the advice, Tom. I will try this next time. In fact,
this year I attempted a second run wine that I was unable to press in a
timely manner. Since it was a second run, I didn't worry so much and I
allowed the 'dry' must to sit for 5 days before I was able to press.
It turned out fine. I'd be more careful with a first run, of course.
How do you weigh down the plasticwrap with water? Can you just use a
spray bottle to spritz it?

Thanks again,
RD

Tom S

> wrote in message
ups.com...
> How do you weigh down the plasticwrap with water? Can you just use a
> spray bottle to spritz it?

Just pour a layer of water on top of the plastic to hold it down against the
wine. An inch or so should suffice. I wouldn't recommend doing this unless
the primary is pretty much finished gassing though, or it could get messy
when gas pressure starts pumping wine up between the sheet and the
fermenter, and then onto the floor.

Obviously you'd need to be sure the plastic extends well beyond the rim of
the fermenter and that it doesn't have any holes in it. You'd also want to
be careful when dumping the water so that it doesn't end up in the wine.

Tom S