Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Titanium Crystal Glasses

Hi. Regular crystal glasses seem to break and chip very easily. I've
seen titanium crystal glasses which are supposed be much sturdier.
Has anyone used them? Are they really as sturdy as they claim? Does
anyone know about brands (Schott Zweisel, Tritan)?

Thanks, guys.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 1, 12:17 pm, kramer > wrote:
> Hi. Regular crystal glasses seem to break and chip very easily. I've
> seen titanium crystal glasses which are supposed be much sturdier.
> Has anyone used them? Are they really as sturdy as they claim? Does
> anyone know about brands (Schott Zweisel, Tritan)?
>
> Thanks, guys.

Tritan is Schott's Zwiesel's brand name for their titanium process.
The glasses are attractive, very sturdy and extremely well priced,
plus they are dishwasher safe. I use them in our restaurant and the
breakage has gone down significantly. The two lines to look at are
Diva and Top Ten.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 1, 5:29?pm, Mark Clavecin > wrote:
> On Sep 1, 12:17 pm, kramer > wrote:
>
> > Hi. Regular crystal glasses seem to break and chip very easily. I've
> > seen titanium crystal glasses which are supposed be much sturdier.
> > Has anyone used them? Are they really as sturdy as they claim? Does
> > anyone know about brands (Schott Zweisel, Tritan)?

> > Thanks, guys.

> Tritan is Schott's Zwiesel's brand name for their titanium process.
> The glasses are attractive, very sturdy and extremely well priced,
> plus they are dishwasher safe. I use them in our restaurant and the
> breakage has gone down significantly. The two lines to look at are
> Diva and Top Ten.

Mark is correct, Tritan = Schott Zwiesel.
In addition to Diva and Top Ten, there is the Enoteca and Forte. I
haven't tried Enoteca (very expensive), but have a strong preference
for the Forte and Top Tens over Diva. I like the feel better, and the
Divas are also easiest to break (where stem meets bowl). Though all
are WAY tougher than regular crystal.
I'd also caution to check sizes. First ones I had were the Diva
Bordeaux stems, a gift. They're a bit ridiculous, about a foot tall.
The Forte Bdx stems are a very good 9" or so. But if size matters to
you......
Brentwood Wine has most of the lines, and good pictures and
dimensions.

Posted to alt.food.wine

wife bought some at Sam's club(costco). same shape as the big
Bordeaux glass from reidel. friend in restaurant biz came over and
said....there are great, can't break them" and proceeded to bang two
together to show they were very very sturdy.

wine tastes quite decent out of them, also.

On Sun, 02 Sep 2007 21:34:31 -0000, DaleW > wrote:

>On Sep 1, 5:29?pm, Mark Clavecin > wrote:
>> On Sep 1, 12:17 pm, kramer > wrote:
>>
>> > Hi. Regular crystal glasses seem to break and chip very easily. I've
>> > seen titanium crystal glasses which are supposed be much sturdier.
>> > Has anyone used them? Are they really as sturdy as they claim? Does
>> > anyone know about brands (Schott Zweisel, Tritan)?

>> > Thanks, guys.

>> Tritan is Schott's Zwiesel's brand name for their titanium process.
>> The glasses are attractive, very sturdy and extremely well priced,
>> plus they are dishwasher safe. I use them in our restaurant and the
>> breakage has gone down significantly. The two lines to look at are
>> Diva and Top Ten.

>Mark is correct, Tritan = Schott Zwiesel.
>In addition to Diva and Top Ten, there is the Enoteca and Forte. I
>haven't tried Enoteca (very expensive), but have a strong preference
>for the Forte and Top Tens over Diva. I like the feel better, and the
>Divas are also easiest to break (where stem meets bowl). Though all
>are WAY tougher than regular crystal.
>I'd also caution to check sizes. First ones I had were the Diva
>Bordeaux stems, a gift. They're a bit ridiculous, about a foot tall.
>The Forte Bdx stems are a very good 9" or so. But if size matters to
>you......
>Brentwood Wine has most of the lines, and good pictures and
>dimensions.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sep 3, 8:07 am, gerald > wrote:
> wife bought some at Sam's club(costco). same shape as the big
> Bordeaux glass from reidel. friend in restaurant biz came over and
> said....there are great, can't break them" and proceeded to bang two
> together to show they were very very sturdy.
>
> wine tastes quite decent out of them, also.

I just checked www.iwawine.com and the Tritan Forte glasses are $54.95
for 6, Diva glasses are $64.95 for 6 and the Carat glasses are $74.95
for 6. I find the Diva glasses equally as attractive in weight, design
and size as Riedel Sommeliers for almost 1/10 the price. They are a
little too large for most dishwashers, though.

Mark