Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN Mosel, Canon Fronsac, and Bourgogne

This weekend was an absolute stunner in NY- sunshine, pleasantly cool
for June/July, gentle breezes. A huge series of stumbles/disasters (a
cold, having to cover office Sat AM for an absent employee, car
trouble, a friend's illness causing him to have to cancel for dinner,
Betsy's absence, a vendor at farmers market who gave me duck legs when
I asked for breast, temporally-challenged knife sharpener) couldn't
stop it from being glorious. One of the things I love about weather is
that good weather can raise my spirits no matter what, yet bad weather
can never overcome good friendship, romance, or luck. Win win.

With drop-in friends on the patio, the 2004 Vollenweider "Wolfer
Goldgrube" Riesling Spätlese (Mosel-Saar-Ruwer) (AP # ends in 05).
Really pushing the envelope sweetness-wise, this is almost dessert
territory, but with vibrant acids making it ok as a solo apertif. 7.5%
abv is a real bonus for a summer patio sipper. Sweet Fuji apple fruit
with an overlay of orange (well, Creamsicle„¢). Despite the big sugar,
this has that sprightly Mosel lightness. A new producer to me, thanks
to Mike Lawton for the upgrade! B+/A-

I felt the 2005 Nicolas Potel "Cuvee Gerard Potel" Bourgogne was one
of the stranger tasting experiences I've had in a while. I had felt
the 2004 version was a nice easy drinking Burg, and looked forward to
the 2005 last night. But opening with some Aidell's mushroom sausages,
grilled eggplant, and some slaw, I was hit with both tannins and
acidity. Now, I'm usually the first to call myself an acid-head, but
this was too much for me. Just a solid wall of impenetrable acids,
making the forward strawberry and cherry fruit so tangy as to be close
to undrinkable by me. I was seriously bemused- I wondered if it was a
food interaction, or possibly the lingering effects of the Spatlese's
sweetness? But no amount of water or bread (or not having sausage or
eggplant) could make this really pleasurable. Was it my cold? I gave
up, switched to the Riesling. Later in the evening I revisited - a
different wine. Still acidic, but no where near the original - a nice
medium-weight Burg with red cherries, plums and cocoa. Tannins mostly
out of the picture. Nice if not exciting. Similar today. One might say
it was closed down at first, but it wasn't - plenty of fruit. But I've
almost never experienced that kind of angry acidity in a wine that
showed such ripe forward fruit. C- on opening, B later. With so many
other nice low-end '05s out there, no reason to stock up on these for
me.

With porterhouse rubbed with garlic and rosemary, mushrooms, and
squash, the 1998 La Croix Canon (Canon-Fronsac). Black cherry, black
currant, good backbone from a combination of ripe light tannins and
bright acidity. Some tobacco leaf and graphite. Some structure, but
ready to drink and lovely with a steak. A Moueix wine. While I love
Cheval Blanc, Haut-Brion, and Leoville-Las-Cases, a huge part of my
love of Bordeaux comes from the incredible value these "lesser" wines
can provide. Bright, Right, and a delight. Thanks again Mike. B++

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

> ...to Mike Lawton for the upgrade! B+/A-
> ...can provide. Bright, Right, and a delight. Thanks again Mike. B++

What is the difference between B++ and B+/A-?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jul 1, 9:38?pm, Jose > wrote:

> What is the difference between B++ and B+/A-?

Whim! Seriously.

As noted in disclaimer,there's no real objectivity here. I write a
note based on my impressions, and then jot down a grade. No "5 points
for color, 10 for nose" etc., no precision, just feeling. Hard to
justify any of my grades! I *guess* in this case I was unconsciously
indicating a very very good wine with no pretenses towards greatness.

Posted to alt.food.wine

> Whim! Seriously.
>
> As noted in disclaimer...

Hmmm. When I rate a wine, I go out to four decimal places.

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.

TN: the Canon canon (1952-2006) DaleW Wine 6 04-05-2010 06:24 PM
TN: 2003 Canon-Fronsac for $9.99 DaleW Wine 0 07-08-2007 01:35 PM
Chateau Canon Bill S. Wine 1 22-01-2007 01:25 AM
TN SFWS Canon 43, Petrus 76, and others John Taverner Wine 2 12-04-2006 09:52 PM
TN: Valpo, GrüVe, Canon-Fronsac,Gevrey Dale Williams Wine 2 29-10-2003 04:35 PM