Dale Williams

Default TN: Valpo, GrüVe, Canon-Fronsac,Gevrey

With a modified puttanesca sauce and pasta, the 2001 Allegrini Valpolicella
Classico. Usually this is a favorite $8 bottling for me. And make no mistake,
this isn't bad wine. But the fruit, usually a deep cherry flavor, is a bit
thinner than usual, with a grapey edge. This is never a complex wine, but this
lacks the normal spice. OK for a party quaff, but I won't buy more. B-/C+

With grilled lamb chops, the 2000 Canon de Brem (Canon-Fronsac). Ripe round red
fruit, somewhat concentrated but a little one-dimensional. Not especially
impressive (I liked the '98 better at same age). As I've had a couple of these
that aged well over the short to mid term, I'll put my remaining one bottle
away, but without any real high hopes. B

Celebrated Betsy having night off by having friends to dinner on Saturday,
started with the 2002 Hirsch "Veltliner #1" Grüner Veltliner. Billed as the
Grüner Veltliner equivalent of a good German Qba, not a bad comparison. Lots of
sweet apple fruit, a little edge of green peas and some light white pepper.
Simple, clean, good wine. B

I had gone to the store that afternoon for duck breasts to grill. They only had
one left, so in addition to the magret I got a smoked breast and some duck
paté. Voila, duck three ways. With the duck the 1992 Bachelet Gevrey Chambertin
Vielles Vignes. Not the best of vintages, but this village wine seemed to
holding up well. On the lighter side, but nice blackcherry and raspberry fruit,
with some earth and a hint of cedar. Balanced acidity, pretty wine. Probably
about to go downhill, but I wish I had more. A-

Also attended a Zachys tasting Saturday. A variety of representatives from some
prime estates. I didn't try to taste everything, here are a few notes:

1999 Scavino "Bric Del Fiasc" Barolo
Modern/oaky, but great red fruit and not as soft as some new-wave Baroli. Needs
time. B+/A-

1997 Sandrone "Le Vigne" Barolo
Softer, supple, really ripe. A big favorite with those around me. I find it a
pleasant drink, but not compelling, and at $105 way out of my range. B

2001 Patz & Hall Pinot Noir (Russian River Valley)
Not an over-the-top RRV PN, good cherry fruit and some earth/mushroom.
B.

2000 Dominus
Ripe, forward, medium bodied. Cassis and coffee. Not bad at all. B+

1998 Dominus
Earthy, medium bodied. Good for vintage. B/B+

1997 Dominus
Complex, loads of good dark fruit, cigarbox and graphite notes, very very good.
A-

2000 Plantiers du Haut Brion
I liked the '99 of this, and this isn't bad, but shows somewhat simply. Light
oak, citrus and a little grass. B

2000 Laville Haut Brion
Now this is white Bordeaux. Tropical fruit, citrus, oak. Big, full-bodied
white. A-

1999 Bahans Haut Brion
Medium-bodied, plum fruit with a little tobacco. Ready to go, nice enough. B/B+

1999 Haut Brion
Deep rich fruit, medium to full bodied, lead-pencil, herb, and tobacco notes.
Very nice. A-

2002 Two Hands "Bad Impersonator"
Big bold shiraz, blackberry and herb. B/B+

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B
a good wine, C mediocre at best. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a
party where it was only choice.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply

Default TN: Valpo, Gr?Ve, Canon-Fronsac,Gevrey

Dale Williams > wrote:

: Also attended a Zachys tasting Saturday. A variety of representatives from some
: prime estates. I didn't try to taste everything, here are a few notes:

: 1999 Bahans Haut Brion
: Medium-bodied, plum fruit with a little tobacco. Ready to go, nice enough. B/B+

I need to post some updates here. Dale, have you tried the 2000 of this
yet? I've seen some at a good price up here and seems to be highly rated
for a 'second'.

Mark S
Dale Williams

>1999 Bahans Haut Brion
>: Medium-bodied, plum fruit with a little tobacco. Ready to go, nice enough.
>B/B+
>
>I need to post some updates here. Dale, have you tried the 2000 of this
>yet? I've seen some at a good price up here and seems to be highly rated
>for a 'second'.

Mark,

I did try the 2000. About 1 to 2 months ago I posted notes on a tasting of
seconds, 1982-2000. Wasn't a tasting that had be running to buy more seconds
overall, but the 2000 Bahans and 2000 Haut Bages Averous showed well.Well
enough that I bought 2 bottles of the Bahans the next day (Rochambeau had for
$37, decent if not extraordinary price- think they still had as of last week).

2000 Bahans Haut Brion
Beautifully balanced, flowers on nose, ripe (yet almost bittersweet) black
fruit. B+/A-

Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply