Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Viognier and it's french counterpart

Hi everyone!

I've been lurking in the group mostly so this is my first post. I've been
recently introduced to viognier and have learned about it being an Rhone
varietal. However I'm not very familiar with french wine and I wanted to
ask what french wines are analogous to viognier (like how pinot noir is
analogous to red burgundy). Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

-Thomas

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 15, 4:14?pm, "Thomas C." > wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I've been lurking in the group mostly so this is my first post. I've been
> recently introduced to viognier and have learned about it being an Rhone
> varietal. However I'm not very familiar with french wine and I wanted to
> ask what french wines are analogous to viognier (like how pinot noir is
> analogous to red burgundy). Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks!
>
> -Thomas

the primary traditional Viognier is Condrieu (as well as Chateau
Grillet), althought there are others.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:14:13 -0700, "Thomas C."
> wrote:

>Hi everyone!
>
>I've been lurking in the group mostly so this is my first post. I've been
>recently introduced to viognier and have learned about it being an Rhone
>varietal. However I'm not very familiar with french wine and I wanted to
>ask what french wines are analogous to viognier (like how pinot noir is
>analogous to red burgundy). Any help is appreciated.

Pinot Noir isn't really "analogous" to red Burgundy. Burgundy is a
place (a part of France) and Pinot Noir is the grape variety that is
used to make all of the great red wines in Burgundy.

As you say, Viogner is a grape variety that is used in the Rhone
valley--for example, for Condrieu--but there is not really anything
"analogous" to it.

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 15, 3:14 pm, "Thomas C." > wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> I've been lurking in the group mostly so this is my first post. I've been
> recently introduced to viognier and have learned about it being an Rhone
> varietal. However I'm not very familiar with french wine and I wanted to
> ask what french wines are analogous to viognier (like how pinot noir is
> analogous to red burgundy). Any help is appreciated.
>
> Thanks!

The answers you have been given are correct. The Condrieu made from
Viognier in a defined region of the northern Rhone by several
producers is the most famous and usually most expensive. Quality can
vary from producer to producer and from year to year. Most is best
drunk quite young. Most is dry, but sometimes a sweet version is made.
More recently French wine labeled by the name of the grape Viognier
has been made in the Midi region of France. It usually is not of the
quality of Condrieu, but it usually is much less expensive. Australia
now also makes some Viognier that is decent. Also there have been a
few wines made in California, and perhaps elsewhere, that include some
Viognier in a blend.

Posted to alt.food.wine

"Thomas C." > wrote:

> Hi everyone!
>
> I've been lurking in the group mostly so this is my first post. I've been
> recently introduced to viognier and have learned about it being an Rhone
> varietal. However I'm not very familiar with french wine and I wanted to
> ask what french wines are analogous to viognier (like how pinot noir is
> analogous to red burgundy). Any help is appreciated.

Hi Thomas and welcome,

There are some decent viogniers coming from the midi, but Condrieu is as
has been pointed out where the grape achieves its summit. Condrieu is
expensive but worth it for a splurge; the grape takes on nuances there I
haven't seen elsewhere. I will differ with cwdjr: I like aged Condrieu, though
not all vintages will get better.

Also interesting that Cote Rotie, one of the world's great syrah-based red wines,
often contains a viognier component. I believe up to 20% is authorized (didn't
check, so I may have it wrong) but usually 5-10% is used.

I recently bought a few bottles from the Cabardes appellation, labled Vin de Pays
Viognier. Not bad at the price, around 6 EU.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

I refer to way wines are typically named between America and France.
America typically names a wine based upon the variety. France typically
names wine based upon the region. This is how I make the analogy and thus
invoke the term analogous.

-Thomas

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:14:13 -0700, "Thomas C."
> > wrote:
>
>>Hi everyone!
>>
>>I've been lurking in the group mostly so this is my first post. I've been
>>recently introduced to viognier and have learned about it being an Rhone
>>varietal. However I'm not very familiar with french wine and I wanted to
>>ask what french wines are analogous to viognier (like how pinot noir is
>>analogous to red burgundy). Any help is appreciated.

> Pinot Noir isn't really "analogous" to red Burgundy. Burgundy is a
> place (a part of France) and Pinot Noir is the grape variety that is
> used to make all of the great red wines in Burgundy.
>
> As you say, Viogner is a grape variety that is used in the Rhone
> valley--for example, for Condrieu--but there is not really anything
> "analogous" to it.
>
> --
> Ken Blake
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.wine

Emery Davis wrote:

> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:14:13 -0700
> "Thomas C." > wrote:
>
>> Hi everyone!
>>
>> I've been lurking in the group mostly so this
>> is my first post. I've been recently
>> introduced to viognier and have learned about
>> it being an Rhone
>> varietal. However I'm not very familiar with
>> french wine and I wanted to ask what french
>> wines are analogous to viognier (like how pinot
>> noir is
>> analogous to red burgundy). Any help is
>> appreciated.
>>

> Hi Thomas and welcome,
>
> There are some decent viogniers coming from the
> midi, but Condrieu is as
> has been pointed out where the grape achieves
> its summit. Condrieu is
> expensive but worth it for a splurge; the grape
> takes on nuances there I
> haven't seen elsewhere. I will differ with
> cwdjr: I like aged Condrieu, though not all
> vintages will get better.
>
> Also interesting that Cote Rotie, one of the
> world's great syrah-based red wines,
> often contains a viognier component. I believe
> up to 20% is authorized (didn't check, so I may
> have it wrong) but usually 5-10% is used.
>
> I recently bought a few bottles from the
> Cabardes appellation, labled Vin de Pays
> Viognier. Not bad at the price, around 6 EU.
>
> -E

Viognier is grown in the Mid Atlantic region -
specifically in Northern Virginia area. It makes
an excellent wine by itself or blended with
Chardonnay.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:27:20 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> wrote:

>Emery Davis wrote:
>
> Hi Thomas and welcome,
>>
>> There are some decent viogniers coming from the
>> midi, but Condrieu is as
>> has been pointed out where the grape achieves
>> its summit. Condrieu is
>> expensive but worth it for a splurge; the grape
>> takes on nuances there I
>> haven't seen elsewhere. I will differ with
>> cwdjr: I like aged Condrieu, though not all
>> vintages will get better.
>>
>> Also interesting that Cote Rotie, one of the
>> world's great syrah-based red wines,
>> often contains a viognier component. I believe
>> up to 20% is authorized (didn't check, so I may
>> have it wrong) but usually 5-10% is used.
>>
>> I recently bought a few bottles from the
>> Cabardes appellation, labled Vin de Pays
>> Viognier. Not bad at the price, around 6 EU.
>>
>> -E

>Viognier is grown in the Mid Atlantic region -
>specifically in Northern Virginia area. It makes
>an excellent wine by itself or blended with
>Chardonnay.

I've recently become aware of viognier--maybe that's too provincial a
view. Recently I've begun to enjoy viognier which had been below the
horizon in my previous wine purchases. There were more things that I
was familiar with and hence viognier got overlooked.

It seems to me that viognier is one of those grapes that can produce
reasonably good wine in a lot of regions. The Rhone has been mentioned
already in this thread as well as Australia and now Virginia.

I had a couple of very nice bottles of viognier from Stuart Cellars, a
California vintner and also found a quite drinkable viognier from
Becker Wines in Stonewall TX--near Fredricksburg.

The varietal has risen quite rapidly on my personal pop chart for
summer meals with cold soups, seafood salads and fruit plates.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

> But your "analogy" (I would say "correspondence") is between a grape variety (US - pinot noir) and an wine growing area plus a colour (France - Burgundy red).

It can still be useful. Consider it as a correspondance between wines
and the foods they pair best with. Would the set of foods that a pinot
noir pairs best with be similar to the set of foods that a Burgandy
pairs with?

Jose
--
You can choose whom to befriend, but you cannot choose whom to love.
Posted to alt.food.wine

In article >,
Ed Rasimus > wrote:

> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 07:27:20 -0400, "Paul E. Lehmann"
> > wrote:
>
> >Emery Davis wrote:
> >
> > Hi Thomas and welcome,
> >>
> >> There are some decent viogniers coming from the
> >> midi, but Condrieu is as
> >> has been pointed out where the grape achieves
> >> its summit. Condrieu is
> >> expensive but worth it for a splurge; the grape
> >> takes on nuances there I
> >> haven't seen elsewhere. I will differ with
> >> cwdjr: I like aged Condrieu, though not all
> >> vintages will get better.
> >>
> >> Also interesting that Cote Rotie, one of the
> >> world's great syrah-based red wines,
> >> often contains a viognier component. I believe
> >> up to 20% is authorized (didn't check, so I may
> >> have it wrong) but usually 5-10% is used.
> >>
> >> I recently bought a few bottles from the
> >> Cabardes appellation, labled Vin de Pays
> >> Viognier. Not bad at the price, around 6 EU.
> >>
> >> -E

> >Viognier is grown in the Mid Atlantic region -
> >specifically in Northern Virginia area. It makes
> >an excellent wine by itself or blended with
> >Chardonnay.
> >

> I've recently become aware of viognier--maybe that's too provincial a
> view. Recently I've begun to enjoy viognier which had been below the
> horizon in my previous wine purchases. There were more things that I
> was familiar with and hence viognier got overlooked.
>
> It seems to me that viognier is one of those grapes that can produce
> reasonably good wine in a lot of regions. The Rhone has been mentioned
> already in this thread as well as Australia and now Virginia.
>
> I had a couple of very nice bottles of viognier from Stuart Cellars, a
> California vintner and also found a quite drinkable viognier from
> Becker Wines in Stonewall TX--near Fredricksburg.
>
> The varietal has risen quite rapidly on my personal pop chart for
> summer meals with cold soups, seafood salads and fruit plates.
>
> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

The one varietal that is done well in Virginia.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 09:33:29 GMT, "Thomas C."
> wrote:

>I refer to way wines are typically named between America and France.
>America typically names a wine based upon the variety. France typically
>names wine based upon the region. This is how I make the analogy and thus
>invoke the term analogous.

You, of course, may use words any way you like. But if you use a word
in a non-standard way (as you did with "analogous"), don't be
surprised if your usage is not understood.

>"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:14:13 -0700, "Thomas C."
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>Hi everyone!
>>>
>>>I've been lurking in the group mostly so this is my first post. I've been
>>>recently introduced to viognier and have learned about it being an Rhone
>>>varietal. However I'm not very familiar with french wine and I wanted to
>>>ask what french wines are analogous to viognier (like how pinot noir is
>>>analogous to red burgundy). Any help is appreciated.

>> Pinot Noir isn't really "analogous" to red Burgundy. Burgundy is a
>> place (a part of France) and Pinot Noir is the grape variety that is
>> used to make all of the great red wines in Burgundy.
>>
>> As you say, Viogner is a grape variety that is used in the Rhone
>> valley--for example, for Condrieu--but there is not really anything
>> "analogous" to it.
>>
>> --
>> Ken Blake
>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

--
Ken Blake
Please Reply to the Newsgroup
Posted to alt.food.wine

To echo what others have said; and to add that Viognier is becoming
increasingly popular here in the Sierra Foothills (California)
vineyards. This last year we blended 30% Viognier from a friend's
vineyard with our estate Marsanne - and have been very pleased with
the result.
I'd also add to another post that mentioned the practice of blending
small proportions of Viognier into Syrah, a-la certain vintners in the
Hermitage region - this practice is becoming popular in South
Sustralia, where a number of excellent wineries (Torbreck, D'Arenberg,
etc) are doing so with excellent results.

--
I'm trying a new usenet client for Mac, Nemo OS X.
You can download it at http://www.malcom-mac.com/nemo

Posted to alt.food.wine

I'll have to keep an eye out and look into northern virginia viognier!

-Thomas

"Paul E. Lehmann" > wrote in message
. ..
> Emery Davis wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:14:13 -0700
>> "Thomas C." > wrote:
>>
>>> Hi everyone!
>>>
>>> I've been lurking in the group mostly so this
>>> is my first post. I've been recently
>>> introduced to viognier and have learned about
>>> it being an Rhone
>>> varietal. However I'm not very familiar with
>>> french wine and I wanted to ask what french
>>> wines are analogous to viognier (like how pinot
>>> noir is
>>> analogous to red burgundy). Any help is
>>> appreciated.
>>>

>> Hi Thomas and welcome,
>>
>> There are some decent viogniers coming from the
>> midi, but Condrieu is as
>> has been pointed out where the grape achieves
>> its summit. Condrieu is
>> expensive but worth it for a splurge; the grape
>> takes on nuances there I
>> haven't seen elsewhere. I will differ with
>> cwdjr: I like aged Condrieu, though not all
>> vintages will get better.
>>
>> Also interesting that Cote Rotie, one of the
>> world's great syrah-based red wines,
>> often contains a viognier component. I believe
>> up to 20% is authorized (didn't check, so I may
>> have it wrong) but usually 5-10% is used.
>>
>> I recently bought a few bottles from the
>> Cabardes appellation, labled Vin de Pays
>> Viognier. Not bad at the price, around 6 EU.
>>
>> -E

> Viognier is grown in the Mid Atlantic region -
> specifically in Northern Virginia area. It makes
> an excellent wine by itself or blended with
> Chardonnay.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Who's standards do you refer to?

-Thomas

"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 16 Jun 2007 09:33:29 GMT, "Thomas C."
> > wrote:
>
>>I refer to way wines are typically named between America and France.
>>America typically names a wine based upon the variety. France typically
>>names wine based upon the region. This is how I make the analogy and thus
>>invoke the term analogous.

> You, of course, may use words any way you like. But if you use a word
> in a non-standard way (as you did with "analogous"), don't be
> surprised if your usage is not understood.
>

>>"Ken Blake" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Fri, 15 Jun 2007 13:14:13 -0700, "Thomas C."

>>> Pinot Noir isn't really "analogous" to red Burgundy. Burgundy is a
>>> place (a part of France) and Pinot Noir is the grape variety that is
>>> used to make all of the great red wines in Burgundy.
>>>
>>> As you say, Viogner is a grape variety that is used in the Rhone
>>> valley--for example, for Condrieu--but there is not really anything
>>> "analogous" to it.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Ken Blake
>>> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

> --
> Ken Blake
> Please Reply to the Newsgroup

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 16, 3:03 am, Emery Davis > wrote:

> There are some decent viogniers coming from the midi, but Condrieu is as
> has been pointed out where the grape achieves its summit. Condrieu is
> expensive but worth it for a splurge; the grape takes on nuances there I
> haven't seen elsewhere. I will differ with cwdjr: I like aged Condrieu, though
> not all vintages will get better.

Although I sometimes like some wines older than many others do,
Condrieu usually is not one of them. I have only aged a few Condrieus
for several years, and they lost their initial fresh fruit which was
not replaced with anything of interest to me, although some were still
quite drinkable. However Michael Broadbent has reported on a few very
old Condrieus in his books that he thought very good. Some of these
are the now rather rare sweet versions. I would like to taste one of
these outstanding older examples, but none has come my way yet.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thomas C. wrote:
> I'll have to keep an eye out and look into northern virginia viognier!

Yep Viognier is popular here in Virginia (as well as North Carolina).
Try www.breauxvineyards.com

Viognier Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 29 01-05-2015 11:05 AM
Anyone know the North American counterpart to Maris Piper potatoes of the UK? [email protected] General Cooking 2 12-02-2008 08:41 PM
Viognier?? [email protected] Wine 21 08-12-2005 07:27 AM
Viognier Lum Winemaking 0 10-09-2004 04:50 PM
TN: value in a Viognier Mark Lipton Wine 2 30-09-2003 08:23 PM