Old 02-12-2005, 09:37 PM posted to alt.food.wine

Default Viognier??

Heyo all

I am a dedicated fan of this varietal, just tried a new (to me) winery
called "Clay Station"
Yummy!

I have several favorites, Rosenblum, Curtiss, EXP to name a few.

Anyone have suggestions for a good Viognier?

Thanks!

Old 02-12-2005, 10:33 PM posted to alt.food.wine
[email protected]

Thanks

Old 02-12-2005, 11:42 PM posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog

skrev i melding
oups.com...
Thanks

Well. why not get Chateau Grillet, the most famous Viognier of all? Will
set you back about 50 to 80 USD a bottle...
A region of its own the yearly production is 10.000 bottles, the smallest
'appellation' in France.
Anders

Old 03-12-2005, 01:11 AM posted to alt.food.wine
Mark Lipton

Anders Tørneskog wrote:
skrev i melding
oups.com...

Thanks

Well. why not get Chateau Grillet, the most famous Viognier of all? Will
set you back about 50 to 80 USD a bottle...
A region of its own the yearly production is 10.000 bottles, the smallest
'appellation' in France.

Because the wines of Chateau-Grillet are rarely if ever worth the price
and usually are far inferior to the better Condrieus? I'll take a
Condrieu from Vernay, Gangloff or the less oaky ones of Cuilleron, thank
you.

Mark Lipton

Old 03-12-2005, 05:03 AM posted to alt.food.wine
[email protected]

Confession - I feel like an ignorant wine slut here, I have never had a
French Viognier.....what does Condrieu cost?

Many thanks

Old 03-12-2005, 05:20 AM posted to alt.food.wine
[email protected]

Calera! (From Mount Harlan. Just inland of Monterey.) For drinking now,
I would go with the 2002. Drinks like a fine white burg. Elegant.

Old 03-12-2005, 10:12 AM posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog

skrev i melding
ups.com...
Confession - I feel like an ignorant wine slut here, I have never had a
French Viognier.....what does Condrieu cost?

Many thanks

20-90USD... You should find Vernay for about 40USD. Tip: Try
www.wine-searcher.com , key in 'Condrieu' and hit 'search'. It'll give you
an international list of vendors when you have selected a vintage (190 hits
for 2003).

And Mark is right of course, Ch. Grillet is very famous, but doesn't live up
to that any more, I've learned.

Anders

Old 03-12-2005, 10:27 AM posted to alt.food.wine
Michael Pronay

"Anders Tørneskog" wrote:

Well. why not get Chateau Grillet, the most famous Viognier of
all?

Because it has the worst QPR in dry whites worldwide?

Will set you back about 50 to 80 USD a bottle...
A region of its own the yearly production is 10.000 bottles, the
smallest 'appellation' in France.

Don't repeat that urban legend, puleeeze! Chteau-Grillet (spelled
with a hyphen) has 3.5 hectares. Romanée-Conti (1.8 hectares) is
smaller, and La Romanée (0.8 hectares) is the smallest AOC in
France.

M.
Old 03-12-2005, 03:01 PM posted to alt.food.wine
Anders Tørneskog

"Michael Pronay" skrev i melding
"Anders Tørneskog" wrote:
Don't repeat that urban legend, puleeeze! Chteau-Grillet (spelled
with a hyphen) has 3.5 hectares. Romanée-Conti (1.8 hectares) is
smaller, and La Romanée (0.8 hectares) is the smallest AOC in
France.

Hi
The web is useful at times. I found the following on Chateau-Grillet:

Time to clear up some misunderstandings. Chateau Grillet is the smallest AC
for white wine....

When young, their wine is less intensely floral and fruity than most
Condrieu, so if that´s what you´re after then steer clear of it. It will
come across as a fairly pleasant Viognier wine, moderately complex but
nothing to warrant the high price. It is only after a decade (depending on
the vintage)that Chateau Grillet starts finding it´s stride. The complexity
of the nose is quite something else. Burying your head in a bouqet of dried
flowers is a comparison that springs to mind. Spices, herbs, wax and other
notes to numerous to mention are displayed with razorlike precision and the
finish lasts forever (by now you can probably tell I like the stuff).

I guess I'll have to try the stuff some time!
Anders

Old 04-12-2005, 07:14 AM posted to alt.food.wine
Steve Timko

In article . com,
says...
Heyo all

I am a dedicated fan of this varietal, just tried a new (to me) winery
called "Clay Station"
Yummy!

I have several favorites, Rosenblum, Curtiss, EXP to name a few.

Anyone have suggestions for a good Viognier?

Someone is often quoted about Viognier that it's usually either Julia
Roberts or Dolly Parton. That is, more acidic and bright or very
voluptuous.

Garretson makes good viognier:
http://www.garretsonwines.com/id37.htm

I also like viognier from Cedarville and Arger-Martucci. My favorite is
Sierra Vista.
I like EXP, too, but I have a hard time finding it.
Tablas Creek makes some wonderful wines blending Viognier with Marsanne
and Rousanne.
Old 04-12-2005, 10:10 AM posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Anders Tørneskog" skrev i meddelandet

skrev i melding
oups.com...
Thanks

Well. why not get Chateau Grillet, the most famous Viognier of all? Will
set you back about 50 to 80 USD a bottle...
A region of its own the yearly production is 10.000 bottles, the smallest
'appellation' in France.
Anders

.... and by most accounts, way overpriced.
Cheers
Nils Gustaf

Old 04-12-2005, 10:15 AM posted to alt.food.wine
Nils Gustaf Lindgren

"Mark Lipton" skrev i meddelandet
news:[email protected]_s21...
Anders Tørneskog wrote:
skrev i melding
oups.com...

Thanks

Well. why not get Chateau Grillet, the most famous Viognier of all? Will
set you back about 50 to 80 USD a bottle...
A region of its own the yearly production is 10.000 bottles, the smallest
'appellation' in France.

Because the wines of Chateau-Grillet are rarely if ever worth the price
and usually are far inferior to the better Condrieus? I'll take a
Condrieu from Vernay, Gangloff or the less oaky ones of Cuilleron, thank
you.

Mark, speaking of oaky stuff:

Four weeks ago, in a blind tasting of "aromatic whites" (we didn´t even know
that it was supposed to be aromatic whites, at first we thought it was an
Alsace tasting) we had as #5 in a flight of six a horribly characterless
white plonk, with a slight taste of banana or marshmallows, and loads of
toasted oak chips. We thought this horrible plonk some kind of decidedly
low-endian Chard, from some place way to warm to make good or even
acceptable wines - great was our consernation when we later learned that the
wine (incidentally, the only one we didn´t get even slightly right) was
Guigal´s Condrieu, 2003 if I remember correctly. Yeech!

Cheers

Nils Gustaf
--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Viognier Michael Nielsen[_4_] Wine 29 01-05-2015 11:05 AM
[TN] Cono Sur Viognier Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 0 25-06-2009 05:52 AM
Viognier Lum Winemaking 0 10-09-2004 04:50 PM
Viognier Kit Opinions StarrFarms1 Winemaking 15 26-11-2003 01:09 AM
TN: value in a Viognier Mark Lipton Wine 2 30-09-2003 08:23 PM