Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [NYT] Hiking Napa

In today's NY Times, a worthwhile article appeared on hiking the
"wilderness" of Napa. Most noteworthy is the fact that these hikes can
be done as day hikes while staying (and dining) in the Valley proper.
For those of you contemplating a trip to Napa, this might add an extra
dimension to your visit. Article:

http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/06/08...es/08Napa.html

Mark "Nature Boy" Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

Mark Lipton wrote:
> In today's NY Times, a worthwhile article appeared on hiking the
> "wilderness" of Napa. Most noteworthy is the fact that these hikes can
> be done as day hikes while staying (and dining) in the Valley proper.
> For those of you contemplating a trip to Napa, this might add an extra
> dimension to your visit. Article:
>
> http://travel.nytimes.com/2007/06/08...es/08Napa.html

It has been many years since I camped at Sugarloaf Ridge SP, but
I recall it being *quite* pleasant; I'll have to break out the tent
and spend a weekend there this summer.

Bothe-Napa Valley SP is outstanding to spend a couple or few nights,
with hot showers, a swimming pool, and several miles of heavily wooded
trails. The hot showers are especially nice if you plan to head into
Calistoga or St Helena for dinner.

Just this weekend, I spent a couple of nights with my daughters
at the Girl Scout camp on Mt. Veeder, nestled on 160 acres (!) in
between Mt. Veeder Winery and Chateau Potelle. This was the annual
"me and my fella" (father/grandfather/uncle/etc. + girl) camp; many of
the fellas were new this year and none of them had any idea the camp
was there. A steep hike out the back of the camp leads to the crest
of Mt Veeder with views of both Sonoma and Napa Valleys, roughly
at the same latitude as Yountville.

Dana