Posted to alt.food.wine

Default A new (to me at least) Napa

I was recently given a bottle of Buoncristiani OPC 2009. It is a
Nape proprietary red blend. It claims to be 40% Cab, 30% Syrah,
16% Merlot and 14% Malbec. It has some strong tannins that are
a long way from being resolved. On first taste, I would have guessed
this to be a 99% Cab less than 2 years old.I tasted none of
the other blends. It is a very strong and powerful wine that
ranks as the best of anything that I have drank in the last 10 years.
But alas, the producers have priced it at $70/b so in that range it has
to stand up to some really good wines.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On 3/5/16 1:54 PM, Loftin wrote:

> I was recently given a bottle of Buoncristiani OPC 2009. It is a
> Nape proprietary red blend. It claims to be 40% Cab, 30% Syrah,
> 16% Merlot and 14% Malbec. It has some strong tannins that are
> a long way from being resolved. On first taste, I would have guessed
> this to be a 99% Cab less than 2 years old.I tasted none of
> the other blends. It is a very strong and powerful wine that
> ranks as the best of anything that I have drank in the last 10 years.
> But alas, the producers have priced it at $70/b so in that range it has
> to stand up to some really good wines.

Alas, that's the problem with Napa Cabs for me these days: just too
pricey to justify. These days, I buy a lot more Syrah and Zin from CA
because pricing has stayed reasonable for them.

Good to see a post from you, Bill!
Mark Lipton