Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Musars, old Italians, others

Paulo Faustini was in town from Philadelphia, Jay Miller (the good Jay
Miller, not the WA one) organized an offline Sunday to greet him.
Betsy was away, and I jumped on a chance to drink good wine with nice
people. We convened at La Grolla, where eventually even the
perpetually late Jay arrived (that's how reps get destroyed on the
internet).

A really fun night. The La Grolla staff was nice and welcoming, and
the food was mostly quite good. I loved my octopus/fava/potatp/tomato
salad, and my main course of roast rabbit with rosemary was very
tasty. The duck ragu over whole wheat pasta was a little bland. We're
going back.

And to the wine:

NV Pinon Vouvray Brut
Broad apple fruit, a hint of fresh-baked bread, fun and easy. Jay
determines with questioning that this is from the "very good lot" from
last year. B/B+

2005 Ottaviano Lambruschi Colli di Luni Vermentino
I see Vermentino on label and take a sip expecting a lighter wine.
Nope. Brisk acidity, but lots of body there. Very minerally, both
chalk and slate. I really like this wine, and return to it with my
octopus salad. B+/A-

1996 Cazin (Le Petit Chambord) "Cuvée Renaissance" Cour-Cheverny
More grapefruity than a bottle I served a couple months ago, nice
balance between the sweetness and the citric bite, B/B+

2006 Larmes du Paradis Rosé, Vallée d`Aoste
Apparently about 85% nebbiolo, 15% freisa. Very light, sprightly, and
elegant. Reminds me of the 2002 or 2004 Il Mimo. Jeff states he likes
this better than the more recent Il Mimos; I like both styles- this is
more the picnic sipper on a hot day by the river, the Il Mimo more the
bigger rose to have with grilled meats. B+/A-

1973 Lungarotti Rubesco
Scary to look at. Mid-shoulder fill, cork isn't just protruding, but
top has expanded like a mushroom. It crumbles on removal, the
strained wine is murky and unpleasant looking. But this isn't a
painting, we're not looking at it,we're drinking it. And I'm shocked
how alive it is. A touch high-toned, warm red fruit with notes of
caramel and orange peel. A pretty tasty wine, just don't look at it. B
+

1964 Marchese di Villadoria Barolo Riserva
Jute bag and a pullstring! Assuming this is the same Villadoria one
sees thee days, currently they make inexpensive B & B for near-term
consumption. But this wine in its funny packaging is really quite
lovely at 43, cherry fruit remaining under the more dominant earth,
tar, and saddle leather. My WOTN. A-

1974 Franco Fiorina Barbaresco Riserva
Red fruit, lifted nose, rose petals and citrus zest. Nice wine, but
suffers a tad from the comparison to the 1964. Still a little tannic!
B/B+

1998 Michel Lafarge Volnay
I'm a Lafarge freak, and probably liked a bit more than table. A
little tight and closed at first, but opens nicely. Still some
tannins, but not obtrusive to me. Red cherry fruit, a little woodsmoke
and cedar, a mineral note on finish. Nice medium-weight Volnay. B+

2001 Arcadian "Sleepy Hollow Vineyard" Pinot Noir (Monterey)
Big and slightly hot nose of kirsch and candy, I'm surprised based on
my previous experiences of Arcadian. Nose calms with time, on revisit
I find a nice if rather aggressive Pinot. B

1995 Ch. Musar (Bekka Valley)
Whoa, load of VA on the nose. Proust had his madeleines, I have Musar
to stimulate memories- suddenly I'm 12 and making model airplaces
again. I just can't get past this nose. I hold my nose and taste, a
decent if tannic and slightly coarse red. It gets better as the VA
eventually mostly blows off, but my least favorite red of the night.
Of course, the next bottle will be totally different. B-/C+ (D
originally)

1991 Ch. Musar (Bekka Valley)
But on the other hand.......just a slightly lifted nose, a little high-
toned treat with very sweet red fruit, earth , leather, and citrus
rind. With time the fruit becomes darker, with hints of cassis. One of
the prettiest Musars I've run across. Of course, the next bottle will
be totally different. A-/B+

2000 Clos Rougeard Saumur-Champigny
Cherries and raspberries, herbs, a little tobacco. Good acidity, light
tannins, good length. Gets a spicy note with time. B+

1996 Montevertine Riserva (Tuscan IGT)
OK, this is the part where I stopped any notes. Later on train I wrote
typical Montevertine- bright Chianti dried cherry fruit, red plums, a
little cigarbox and leather. B+/B

2000 Inniskillin Vidal Ice Wine (Niagara)
Apricot fruit and canned peaches, a little fat, somewhat flat. Musky,
perfumey, not for me. C+

I had a cheese plate with gorgonzola, fontina, and parmesan. Lovely
evening. To make it evening better, when my train pulled into station,
there was a neighbor picking up a relative, so I didn't need to walk
the mile+ home. Great to meet Paulo, and see everyone else.

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Paulo Faustini was in town from Philadelphia, Jay Miller (the good Jay
> Miller, not the WA one) organized an offline Sunday to greet him.
> Betsy was away, and I jumped on a chance to drink good wine with nice
> people. We convened at La Grolla, where eventually even the
> perpetually late Jay arrived (that's how reps get destroyed on the
> internet).

Yes, I'd seen elsewhere that you'd be attending. I'd got the impression
that Jay is notoriously punctual, so are you being ironical, or were the
other reports that I'd read? (both possibilities seem equally likely)

> NV Pinon Vouvray Brut
> Broad apple fruit, a hint of fresh-baked bread, fun and easy. Jay
> determines with questioning that this is from the "very good lot" from
> last year. B/B+

I haven't had the latest edition to compare with, but that last one
*was* a very tasty wine.

> 1973 Lungarotti Rubesco
> Scary to look at. Mid-shoulder fill, cork isn't just protruding, but
> top has expanded like a mushroom. It crumbles on removal, the
> strained wine is murky and unpleasant looking. But this isn't a
> painting, we're not looking at it,we're drinking it. And I'm shocked
> how alive it is. A touch high-toned, warm red fruit with notes of
> caramel and orange peel. A pretty tasty wine, just don't look at it. B
> +

Ye Gods, Dale! I've had Lungarotti Rubescos from modern vintages, and I
can't imagine being bold/crazy/foresightful enough to try aging one 34
years... They've always seemed to be pleasant but hardly profound wines.
Maybe back then the winemaking was a bit different than it is today?

> 2000 Inniskillin Vidal Ice Wine (Niagara)
> Apricot fruit and canned peaches, a little fat, somewhat flat. Musky,
> perfumey, not for me. C+

OK, so since I know (to varying degrees) the cast of characters here
(you, Jay, Jeff, Paulo, Chris&Lisa) I'm trying to imagine who'd bring
this wine. Was it: a) Jay or Chris being perverse and culling his
cellar; b) Eden&Scott, who I don't know except by reputation or c) a
wine list choice (in which case it still makes very little sense).

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Musars, old Italians, others

"DaleW" > ha scritto nel messaggio
ups.com...

2005 Ottaviano Lambruschi Colli di Luni Vermentino
I see Vermentino on label and take a sip expecting a lighter wine.
Nope. Brisk acidity, but lots of body there. Very minerally, both
chalk and slate. I really like this wine, and return to it with my
octopus salad. B+/A-

-------------------------------

Actually Lambruschi is a good example of what vermentino can mean if well
managed. Was mentioned on the bottle also the "cru" (Sarticola or Costa
Marina)?

Luk

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 28, 11:06�pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > perpetually late Jay arrived (that's how reps get destroyed on the
> > internet).

> Yes, I'd seen elsewhere that you'd be attending. I'd got the impression
> that Jay is notoriously punctual, so are you being ironical, or were the
> other reports that I'd read? (both possibilities seem equally likely)

Jay got delayed at work, was last to arrive. He is indeed famous for
his punctuality, so we all teased a bit,.

> Ye Gods, Dale! *I've had Lungarotti Rubescos from modern vintages, and I
> can't imagine being bold/crazy/foresightful enough to try aging one 34
> years... They've always seemed to be pleasant but hardly profound wines.
> *Maybe back then the winemaking was a bit different than it is today?

Jeff said they had another abused bottle from the 70s a few years ago
that was also good. As far as I remember this is first I've ever
tried, young or old

> > 2000 Inniskillin Vidal Ice Wine (Niagara)

> OK, so since I know (to varying degrees) the cast of characters here
> (you, Jay, Jeff, Paulo, Chris&Lisa) I'm trying to imagine who'd bring
> this wine. *Was it: a) Jay or Chris being perverse and culling his
> cellar; b) Eden&Scott, who I don't know except by reputation or c) a
> wine list choice (in which case it still makes very little sense).

Eden brought it (along with the rosato, the bubbly chenin,and maybe a
red). Hey, I've liked Niagara ice wines before.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 29, 1:13�am, "Luk" >
wrote:
> "DaleW" > ha scritto nel messaggionews:1180398960.249171.272160@w5g2000hsg. googlegroups.com...
>
> 2005 Ottaviano Lambruschi Colli di Luni Vermentino
> I see Vermentino on label and take a sip expecting a lighter wine.
> Nope. Brisk acidity, but lots of body there. Very minerally, both
> chalk and slate. I really like this wine, and return to it with my
> octopus salad. B+/A-
>
> -------------------------------
>
> Actually Lambruschi is a good example of *what vermentino can mean if well
> managed. Was mentioned on the bottle also the "cru" (Sarticola or Costa
> Marina)?
>
> Luk

I thought I noted everything, But when I look on Chambers St website
this AM, it seems they carry both. I'll ask if I can find out.l

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 29, 6:36?am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
> DaleW wrote:
> > 2005 Ottaviano Lambruschi Colli di Luni Vermentino
> > I see Vermentino on label and take a sip expecting a lighter wine.
> > Nope. Brisk acidity, but lots of body there. Very minerally, both
> > chalk and slate. I really like this wine, and return to it with my
> > octopus salad. B+/A-

> I am impressed that you have this wine available to you, I was lucky to
> be introduced to it by Luk who writes on this NG in his home town of
> Genova. I really like it too. Good value and all the good things about
> an aromatic grape like vermentino with body and yet without the
> excessive extraction that seems to mark some vermentino-based wines.
>
> Mike
>
> --
> Mike Tommasi - Six Fours, France
> email linkhttp://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Well, apparently by time it's imported into US it's $40-something. A
good wine, but that is putting it into splurge country for me. What is
it in Italy ? (and if well-priced, is there a wineshop near
Imperia?)

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On May 28, 11:06?pm, Mark Lipton > wrote:
> > perpetually late Jay arrived (that's how reps get destroyed on the
> > internet).

> Yes, I'd seen elsewhere that you'd be attending. I'd got the impression
> that Jay is notoriously punctual, so are you being ironical, or were the
> other reports that I'd read? (both possibilities seem equally likely)

Jay got delayed at work, was last to arrive. He is indeed famous for
his punctuality, so we all teased a bit,.

> Ye Gods, Dale! I've had Lungarotti Rubescos from modern vintages, and I
> can't imagine being bold/crazy/foresightful enough to try aging one 34
> years... They've always seemed to be pleasant but hardly profound wines.
> Maybe back then the winemaking was a bit different than it is today?

Jeff said they had another abused bottle from the 70s a few years ago
that was also good. As far as I remember this is first I've ever
tried, young or old

> > 2000 Inniskillin Vidal Ice Wine (Niagara)

> OK, so since I know (to varying degrees) the cast of characters here
> (you, Jay, Jeff, Paulo, Chris&Lisa) I'm trying to imagine who'd bring
> this wine. Was it: a) Jay or Chris being perverse and culling his
> cellar; b) Eden&Scott, who I don't know except by reputation or c) a
> wine list choice (in which case it still makes very little sense).

Eden brought it (along with the rosato, the bubbly chenin,and maybe a
red). Hey, I've liked Niagara ice wines before.
The Vidal is available in 50ml bottles that I take as gifts when I visit the
family in the UK. The riesling icewine is only for very special occasions.
I once tried a stunning blend of riesling icewine and late pick at a small
cottage winery in British Columbia. Obviously, the blended leftovers from
bottling runs. He only made it that year, unfortunately.
Graham

Posted to alt.food.wine
Luk Luk is offline

Mike Tommasi ha scritto:
> DaleW wrote:
>
>> On May 29, 6:36?am, Mike Tommasi > wrote:
>>
>>> DaleW wrote:

>> Well, apparently by time it's imported into US it's $40-something. A
>> good wine, but that is putting it into splurge country for me. What is
>> it in Italy ? (and if well-priced, is there a wineshop near
>> Imperia?)

> We could always have Luk meet us in Imperia and he can hand carry a
> bottle for you...

Imperia, Wy not. When?
Nonetheless some good Vermentino are also produced there...

Luk
Posted to alt.food.wine
Luk Luk is offline

Mike Tommasi ha scritto:
> Your clock is a little ahead of schedule Luk

Thanks!
Look into your P.O. Box

Luk
Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 29, 12:20?pm, Mike Tommasi > wrote:

> I think it was 13 July right?

Yes, staying at San Damian. I plan on making a reservation at
Agrodolce for that evening soon (had to lock down all the hotel/inns
before thinking about food etc). Would love to see anyone (either at
dinner or during day)

TN: 3 Italians, 2 French, 1 US DaleW Wine 9 14-10-2012 04:24 AM
TN: 2 Italians, 3 French DaleW Wine 0 09-10-2011 03:54 PM
Four Italians Bi!! Wine 4 19-10-2010 08:13 PM
TN: Red and white Italians DaleW Wine 5 27-10-2008 03:44 PM
TN of new Italians Wine 0 31-12-2003 03:32 PM