Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Four Italians

I had some folk for dinner and opened four differnet Italian wines. No
Chianti or Brunello for some reason.

2006 Franchetti-This is a wine from Mt Etna made in a very modern
style. A blend of Petite Verdo and Cesanese the wine is deep purple
in the glass, almost violet. Super concentrated plenty of cassis and
blueberry with leather and oak notes. "B"

2003 Tenuta di Trinoro Toscana-This Bordeaux blend is made by the same
folks who make Franchetti. A Cab based blend from southern Tuscany.
Ripe, oaky and jammy. NOt my style especially for an Italian wine.
Low acid, soft tannins a bit too flabby for me. "C+"

1999 Masseto-100% merlot. Incredible intensity and complexity.
Exotic nose of spices and black fruits. blackberry and currants on
the palate with cedar and spice on the finish. Still young and fresh.
"A"

1997 Gaja Langhe Sori San Lorenzo-Pale red in the glass. Effusive
nose typical of nebbiolo with tar and tea notes with plenty of dark
berry. Powerful on the palate. Earthy, mineral driven with plenty
of ripe blackberry. "A"
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 18, 8:11*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> I had some folk for dinner and opened four differnet Italian wines. No
> Chianti or Brunello for some reason.
>
> 2006 Franchetti-This is a wine from Mt Etna made in a very modern
> style. *A blend of Petite Verdo and Cesanese the wine is deep purple
> in the glass, almost violet. *Super concentrated plenty of cassis and
> blueberry with leather and oak notes. "B"
>
> 2003 Tenuta di Trinoro Toscana-This Bordeaux blend is made by the same
> folks who make Franchetti. *A Cab based blend from southern Tuscany.
> Ripe, oaky and jammy. *NOt my style especially for an Italian wine.
> Low acid, soft tannins a bit too flabby for me. "C+"
>
> 1999 Masseto-100% merlot. *Incredible intensity and complexity.
> Exotic nose of spices and black fruits. *blackberry and currants on
> the palate with cedar and spice on the finish. *Still young and fresh.
> "A"
>
> 1997 Gaja Langhe Sori San Lorenzo-Pale red in the glass. *Effusive
> nose typical of nebbiolo with tar and tea notes with plenty of dark
> berry. *Powerful on the palate. *Earthy, mineral driven with plenty
> of *ripe blackberry. *"A"

It's a pity about the Franchetti, it's certainly possible to make good
to great wines on Etna!
Thanks for notes
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 18, 8:02*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Oct 18, 8:11*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
>

> > I had some folk for dinner and opened four differnet Italian wines. No
> > Chianti or Brunello for some reason.

> > 2006 Franchetti-This is a wine from Mt Etna made in a very modern
> > style. *A blend of Petite Verdo and Cesanese the wine is deep purple
> > in the glass, almost violet. *Super concentrated plenty of cassis and
> > blueberry with leather and oak notes. "B"

> > 2003 Tenuta di Trinoro Toscana-This Bordeaux blend is made by the same
> > folks who make Franchetti. *A Cab based blend from southern Tuscany.
> > Ripe, oaky and jammy. *NOt my style especially for an Italian wine.
> > Low acid, soft tannins a bit too flabby for me. "C+"

> > 1999 Masseto-100% merlot. *Incredible intensity and complexity.
> > Exotic nose of spices and black fruits. *blackberry and currants on
> > the palate with cedar and spice on the finish. *Still young and fresh..
> > "A"

> > 1997 Gaja Langhe Sori San Lorenzo-Pale red in the glass. *Effusive
> > nose typical of nebbiolo with tar and tea notes with plenty of dark
> > berry. *Powerful on the palate. *Earthy, mineral driven with plenty
> > of *ripe blackberry. *"A"

> It's a pity about the Franchetti, it's certainly possible to make good
> to great wines on Etna!
> Thanks for notes- Hide quoted text -

Personal preference I guess. It was too "Parker" for my tastes. The
wine suffers from too much ripeness, too much oak and not enough
acidity. I like the idea just not the execution. Tasted more
California than Scicilian.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 19, 8:49*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:
> On Oct 18, 8:02*pm, DaleW > wrote:
>

> > On Oct 18, 8:11*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > I had some folk for dinner and opened four differnet Italian wines. No
> > > Chianti or Brunello for some reason.

> > > 2006 Franchetti-This is a wine from Mt Etna made in a very modern
> > > style. *A blend of Petite Verdo and Cesanese the wine is deep purple
> > > in the glass, almost violet. *Super concentrated plenty of cassis and
> > > blueberry with leather and oak notes. "B"

> > > 2003 Tenuta di Trinoro Toscana-This Bordeaux blend is made by the same
> > > folks who make Franchetti. *A Cab based blend from southern Tuscany..
> > > Ripe, oaky and jammy. *NOt my style especially for an Italian wine.
> > > Low acid, soft tannins a bit too flabby for me. "C+"

> > > 1999 Masseto-100% merlot. *Incredible intensity and complexity.
> > > Exotic nose of spices and black fruits. *blackberry and currants on
> > > the palate with cedar and spice on the finish. *Still young and fresh.
> > > "A"

> > > 1997 Gaja Langhe Sori San Lorenzo-Pale red in the glass. *Effusive
> > > nose typical of nebbiolo with tar and tea notes with plenty of dark
> > > berry. *Powerful on the palate. *Earthy, mineral driven with plenty
> > > of *ripe blackberry. *"A"

> > It's a pity about the Franchetti, it's certainly possible to make good
> > to great wines on Etna!
> > Thanks for notes- Hide quoted text -

> Personal preference I guess. *It was too "Parker" for my tastes. *The
> wine suffers from too much ripeness, too much oak and not enough
> acidity. *I like the idea just not the execution. *Tasted more
> California than Scicilian.- Hide quoted text -

Oh, I totally agree on the Franchetti. I just think it's a pity that
one of the more well-financed and prominent people on Mt Etna goes for
that style, when I think the terroir is so well suited for wines with
medium bodies, balanced acids, etc (like the Biondi Outis, Graci, or
the basic Terre Nere)
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 19, 2:46*pm, DaleW > wrote:
> On Oct 19, 8:49*am, "Bi!!" > wrote:

> > > It's a pity about the Franchetti, it's certainly possible to make good
> > > to great wines on Etna!
> > > Thanks for notes- Hide quoted text -

> > Personal preference I guess. *It was too "Parker" for my tastes. *The
> > wine suffers from too much ripeness, too much oak and not enough
> > acidity. *I like the idea just not the execution. *Tasted more
> > California than Scicilian.- Hide quoted text -

> Oh, I totally agree on the Franchetti. I just think it's a pity that
> one of the more well-financed and prominent people on Mt Etna goes for
> that style, when I think the terroir is so well suited for wines with
> medium bodies, *balanced acids, etc (like the Biondi Outis, Graci, or
> the basic Terre Nere)- Hide quoted text -

Actually he pulls it off with his Passopisciaro. It's a bit more
nervy and the terroir clearly shows through in this wine from Mt Etna.

TN: 3 Italians, 2 French, 1 US DaleW Wine 9 14-10-2012 04:24 AM
Ping Italians Kalmia General Cooking 1 14-04-2012 09:30 PM
TN: 2 Italians, 3 French DaleW Wine 0 09-10-2011 03:54 PM
TN: Red and white Italians DaleW Wine 5 27-10-2008 03:44 PM
TN of new Italians Wine 0 31-12-2003 03:32 PM