Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Red and white Italians

With a shrimp/escarole sautee with grilled polenta, the 2007 Colle
Stefano Verdicchio di Matelica. What a great little wine. Clean and
lively acidity, crisp, bright citrus and melon fruit with a snappy
finish. A few years ago I would have sneered at the idea of loving a
Verdicchio, but I'm realizing more and more that lots of "lowly"
grapes can do well in the right hands (and soil). Gets fuller with
time, with more almond/nuttiness and minerality. Very good QPR ( $14).
B+

Last night I was in charge of dinner. Marinated some skirt steak in a
black vinegar/Shaoxing/shoyu/garlic combo, stared at my broccoli
before deciding to use up veggies in the fridge (sauteed some arugula,
plus leftover cabbage and roast vegetable). Wine was the 1997 Ceretto
"Zonchero" Barolo. I drank up my couple of these, but this was a
recent gift. Pleasant, ripe, red cherry fruit with a bit of sandalwood
and Christmas spice. Certainly enjoyable, but can't say it screamed
Barolo at me. This seems fully mature, tannins are resolved, low acid
but not flabby. I enjoyed, but wouldn't buy. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Red and white Italians

"DaleW" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> With a shrimp/escarole sautee with grilled polenta, the 2007 Colle
> Stefano Verdicchio di Matelica. What a great little wine. Clean and
> lively acidity, crisp, bright citrus and melon fruit with a snappy
> finish. A few years ago I would have sneered at the idea of loving a
> Verdicchio, but I'm realizing more and more that lots of "lowly"
> grapes can do well in the right hands (and soil). Gets fuller with
> time, with more almond/nuttiness and minerality. Very good QPR ( $14).
> B+

Dale, Verdicchio is may be the most promising italian autoctone, and one of
the best withes.
Moreover often these bottles are really a bargain. If you have other
bottles, leave them a couple of years in your cellar, and verify personally
the great inprovement.
Luk

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mike Tommasi wrote:

> And the Matelica ones in particular seem to be the best. Unfortunately
> the DOC always reminds me of Fazi Battaglia, that omnipresent bland white.

And the producer reminds me of Metallica, a band on whose shoulders rest
many sins. But they do have good taste in sushi...

Mark Lipton

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Oct 25, 6:43�am, "Luk" >
wrote:
> "DaleW" > ha scritto nel ...
>
> > With a shrimp/escarole sautee with grilled polenta, the 2007 Colle
> > Stefano Verdicchio di Matelica. What a great little wine. Clean and
> > lively acidity, crisp, bright citrus and melon fruit with a snappy
> > finish. A few years ago I would have sneered at the idea of loving a
> > Verdicchio, but I'm realizing more and more that lots of "lowly"
> > grapes can do well in the right hands (and soil). Gets fuller with
> > time, with more almond/nuttiness and minerality. Very good QPR ( $14).
> > B+

> Dale, Verdicchio is may be the most promising italian autoctone, and one of
> the best withes.
> Moreover often these bottles are really a bargain. If you have other
> bottles, leave them a couple of years in your cellar, and verify personally
> the great inprovement.
> Luk

Have a couple left, will save at least one.
I think Mike's right, the higher altitude of the Matelica wines really
seems to show

TN: Italians, Sociando, Bedrock white, Cowan, etc DaleW Wine 1 13-01-2016 05:34 PM
TN: 3 Italians, 2 French, 1 US DaleW Wine 9 14-10-2012 04:24 AM
Four Italians Bi!! Wine 4 19-10-2010 08:13 PM
TN of new Italians Wine 0 31-12-2003 03:32 PM
Assorted Italians Wine 2 12-11-2003 02:14 PM