Posted to alt.food.wine

Default [OT] WOnton skins in a steam cooker ...

Hello,
This is off topic but if I tell you what we drank with the dish I suppose it
would be OK ...
I tried doing a dim sum kind of dish yesterday, inaugurating me CHinese
bamboo steam cooker. I had marinated chicken meat with soy sauce, ginger, a
bit of red pepper, sichuan pepper, and star anise. I wrapped the meat w
chopped spring onion and sweet bell pepper in wonton skins, then steamed it
in the bamboo thingy (previously, according to the manual, having soaked the
steamer in boiling water).
The problem was that the small packs stuck to each other, and stuck to the
bamboo, meaning, the tore apart when I tried to lift them out of the bamboo
basket.
They tsted very good, thoug, and were very well accompanied by Bruno Sorg
Pinot Noir 2003 - very high in fruit, good, if somewhat earthy PN nose,
slight RS (could be the fruit) and a light acidity. Despite some contact
with new oak, tannines felt more like grape than wood. A touch of violets, a
touch of herbs and spice - delightful. According to our Alsatian friends,
don't keep the 2003 PN's from Alsace, acidity is too low for keeping.

How do I avoid having the wontons stick to each other and the bamboo basket?

Cheers

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hi Nils,

On Sun, 06 May 2007 07:47:29 GMT
"Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:

> How do I avoid having the wontons stick to each other and the bamboo basket?

You put down lettuce (or bokchoy or whatever) down in the steamer. The dim sum should
not touch each other, make smaller batches.

We use this steamer for lots of regular veg, beans etc all come out great.

cheers,

-E
--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default WOnton skins in a steam cooker ...

> How do I avoid having the wontons stick to each other and the bamboo basket?

You can also put down some wax paper type stuff. Most times that I've
eaten dimsum in town (I live in China), they put paper under the
dumplings/wontons.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Thank you!

.... both suggestions make great sense and are practical.

Cheers

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

Mydnight wrote on 6 May 2007 05:30:42 -0700:

??>> How do I avoid having the wontons stick to each other and
??>> the bamboo basket?

M> You can also put down some wax paper type stuff. Most times
M> that I've eaten dimsum in town (I live in China), they put
M> paper under the dumplings/wontons.

Yes and its a PITA to get off!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

Posted to alt.food.wine

On May 6, 5:29 am, Emery Davis > wrote:
> Hi Nils,
>
> On Sun, 06 May 2007 07:47:29 GMT
> "Nils Gustaf Lindgren" > wrote:
>
> > How do I avoid having the wontons stick to each other and the bamboo basket?

> You put down lettuce (or bokchoy or whatever) down in the steamer. The dim sum should
> not touch each other, make smaller batches.
>
> We use this steamer for lots of regular veg, beans etc all come out great.
>
> cheers,
>
> -E
> --
> Emery Davis
> You can reply to
> by removing the well known companies
> Questions about wine? Visithttp://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

I bought two bamboo steamers, small and large, but sent them to
Salvation Army because no one could advise me how to clean them after
cooking meat/fish in the wontons or other skins. They always answered
that they never cleaned them.
I know the question is moot now, but am still curious, What do you do?
Thanks,
Dee

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 6 May 2007 11:19:59 -0700
Dee Dee > wrote:
[]
> I bought two bamboo steamers, small and large, but sent them to
> Salvation Army because no one could advise me how to clean them after
> cooking meat/fish in the wontons or other skins. They always answered
> that they never cleaned them.
> I know the question is moot now, but am still curious, What do you do?
> Thanks,
> Dee

Hi Dee,

Just plain old soap and water. And sponge.

Ours was inherited from a good friend (and unbelievable cook) from
Shanghai. Maybe she broke it in somehow, because it's never been a problem.

-E

--
Emery Davis
You can reply to ecom
by removing the well known companies
Questions about wine? Visit
http://winefaq.hostexcellence.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

Hello,
Despite my problems with the wontons as such, cleaning the baskets was not a
problem. As you say, soap and water - mostly water.

Cheers

Nils

--
Respond to nils dot lindgren at drchips dot se

Posted to alt.food.wine

"James Silverton" <not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not> wrote in message
. ..
> Mydnight wrote on 6 May 2007 05:30:42 -0700:
>
> ??>> How do I avoid having the wontons stick to each other and
> ??>> the bamboo basket?
>
> M> You can also put down some wax paper type stuff. Most times
> M> that I've eaten dimsum in town (I live in China), they put
> M> paper under the dumplings/wontons.
>
> Yes and its a PITA to get off!
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland
>
> E-mail, with obvious alterations: not.jim.silverton.at.comcast.not

We use parchment paper cut to 1/2 inch smaller diameter than the steamer.

I made chicken stir fry with a steamed buns appetizer a few weeks ago and
decided to give the paper a light spritz with Pam cooking spray before
putting the buns on it. Its the first time I've been able to get them out of
the steamer without tearing them.

To keep this on-topic I served it with a 2002 Freemark Abbey Carpy Ranch
Viognier. Went very nicely with the stir fry.

Jon

Posted to alt.food.wine

On 2007-05-06 22:22:53 -0700, "Nils Gustaf Lindgren"
> said:

> Hello,
> Despite my problems with the wontons as such, cleaning the baskets was not a
> problem. As you say, soap and water - mostly water.
>
> Cheers
>
> Nils

You are supposed to go out back and cut a few leaves off the banana
tree to line the steamer... I would definitely use parchment paper
with pam rather than waxed paper. Mostly I do them like jaudz or
guoteh - put a little peanut oil on the bottom of a frying pan, add the
shumai or whatever, throw in some water - 1/4 cup or so, and put the
lid on. let them steam until the water is gone, then brown the bottoms
a little. Soft and crispy at the same time... yum!