Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Good deal Bordeaux wines in PA? Or to be avoided?

Disclaimer: I'm a newbie. I like Bordeaux but I'm not at all
knowledgeable about it.

There seem to be a fair few wines on sale in PA at the moment under
the "Chairman's Selection" labels, but are they really a good deal? Or
are they particularly poor vintages that PA is trying to off-load
after buying cheap because no-one else wanted them? Examples include:

Ch Pavillon Bel Air LeChapelain Lalande de Pomerol 2003 -- $29.99
Chateau Haut Barrail 2003 -- $19.99
Chateau Combes-Canon 2001 -- $16.49
Chateau Lalande Medoc 2002 -- $13.99

(Of course, in our glorious state-controlled liquor system, no
discounts are possible :-( A case costs, well, 12 x the price of a
bottle.)

Anyway...just curious...I'm not familiar with any of these, although
isn't the Haut Barrail a reputable wine? Are any of these likely to be
worth picking up? I know...try a bottle of each and see if you like
it, right? :-D

Posted to alt.food.wine

In message .com>
wrote:

> Disclaimer: I'm a newbie. I like Bordeaux but I'm not at all
> knowledgeable about it.
>
> There seem to be a fair few wines on sale in PA at the moment under
> the "Chairman's Selection" labels, but are they really a good deal? Or
> are they particularly poor vintages that PA is trying to off-load
> after buying cheap because no-one else wanted them? Examples include:
>
> Ch Pavillon Bel Air LeChapelain Lalande de Pomerol 2003 -- $29.99
> Chateau Haut Barrail 2003 -- $19.99
> Chateau Combes-Canon 2001 -- $16.49
> Chateau Lalande Medoc 2002 -- $13.99
>
> (Of course, in our glorious state-controlled liquor system, no
> discounts are possible :-( A case costs, well, 12 x the price of a
> bottle.)
>
> Anyway...just curious...I'm not familiar with any of these, although
> isn't the Haut Barrail a reputable wine? Are any of these likely to be
> worth picking up? I know...try a bottle of each and see if you like
> it, right? :-D

Cocks & Ferret gives two Chateaux Haut-Barrails - both are second
wines of Cru Bourgeois — Vieux-Chateau-Landon (Medoc) and Ch. des
Tours Boyer (St.Michel de Fronsac). Neither of the first wines is so
distinguished that you would rush out and buy it even in a great year
so a 2003 second or third ..... I wonder if you are thinking of Grand
Barrail Lamarzelle Figeac, often known only by its first two names, in
Saint Emilion, which does make decent wine and is also a good hotel.

Tim Hartley
Posted to alt.food.wine

Wow, the selection is terrible. I have been doing some research in
winesearcher, and a shop called igourmet (apparently in PA), has bottles of
L'Esprit du Chevalier 2000 rouge available at 24,99 euros.

However, Haut Brion Blanc 2001 at 170$ is a very good price (not that I am
purchasing any).

And, available at the state licquour... Montrose 1999 at 48,99$ can look
like a bargain comparable to the unknown second wine of an unknown cru
bourgeois at half the price. But then it is double price.

Best,

S.