Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Mostly Syrah, plus a Montevertine and a Zilliken

In our celebration of true grilling weather, Betsy made burgers for
Wednesday. I grilled them, and then we enjoyed with a Syrah. I had
intended to bring up the 2001 Edmunds St. John Wylie-Fenaughty, but
realized at last minute I had brought up the regular 2001 Edmunds St.
John California Syrah instead. My cellar is still at its winter temp
of about 50°, rather than drink a way too cold W-F I just opened the
CA Syrah. Good fresh acidity, smoke and pepper over a body of black
raspberry fruit. I took the remainder to a Syrah tasting on Friday,
just a hint of oxidation but really holding strong, with a bacon note.
Quite nice. B+

Thursday Betsy decided to dash back between a rehearsal and a
performance, and threw together a favorite pasta sauce, Mario Batali's
parsnip-pancetta. We had that with a broccoli rabe/pea combo, and the
2004 Montevertine Pian del Ciampolo. Fresh and lively, cherry and
dried cherry fruit with accents of coffee and herbs. Develops
throughout the night, all sips are good, but the last is best (though
on day 2 it's pretty well shot). Good stuff, B+/A-

Friday I was joining the guys for our little local tasting group. I
had skipped lunch, and knew the 8 pm group would only have snacky
stuff. So grilled a couple of chicken with Asiago and mushroom
sausages, with leftover pea/rabe combo. I had opened a bottle of the
2004 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Riesling Kabinett a few nights
earlier, and had a small glass each evening. On day 4 this is still
going strong. Incredible piercing acidity, yet without seeming sharp.
Peach and nectarine fruit, a base of slate, wildflowers and a hint of
mint. How can a wine have bright acidity, yet still feel creamy? I
liked the 2005 of this, but this rocks. A-/A

So I went join my compadres, for a blind tasting of Syrah/Shiraz. This
was one of my better nights guessing, but there were no tough wines -
everything was typical (verging on stereotypical). A great group of
guys, good to be back together after a couple month hiatus.

First wine was rather juicy and fruit forward, red berry fruit with a
hint of spice. Seems hot on nose,but not on palate. A little sweet for
me. I'm going to say Australia but someone beats me to it, but they're
wrong. So Fred and I both guess California and we're right,the 2000
Kynsi Paragon Vineyard Syrah (Edna Valley). B/B-

Next up is a wine with a rather aromatic nose, flowers with some
earth. Medium bodied, dark berry fruit. Pretty obviously French, I go
out on a limb with Cote-Rotie and am right. I liked at first, but
later pour seemed a bit faded- surprisingly quick for a young C-R.
It's the 2001 Louis Drevon Cote-Rotie. B

Holy s$%t, what is this in my glass? First sniffing impression is a
blueberry milkshake, but a taste reveals someone has liquified some
blackberry jam (with a side of buttered toast). Very dense, high
alcohol, heavy. I guess Australia, yep, the 2003 Henry's Drive Shiraz
(Padthaway). Not my style at all. This is a pretty informal group, a
chance for the guys to get together, not real geeky -no dump buckets.
I don't ever remember not just finishing my small initial pour (except
for corked wines) with this group, but I go find the sink for this
one. Obviously some others find it more appealing (but half bottle
left at end of night, luckily the host is one who likes the best). D

My wine is next, so no guesses from me, but group gets Rhone quickly.
The 1996 Chapoutier "La Sizeranne" Hermitage. Lots of earth and a hint
of barnyard on the nose (someone else thought more than a hint, but
this was light to me), tannins could use a little more time to fully
resolve, good length. Better showing than last time I had this.
Actually fairly nice, except the fruit had a little bit of a roasted
note to it, surprising for a year I didn't think was especially hot.
Still, nice enough. B

This is very fruit forward also, but not as heavy as the Henrys Drive.
The little sweet edge and the jammy fruit leads me again to Australia,
I'm right. The 2003 Lengs and Cooter "The Victor" Shiraz is pretty
clearly New World, but seems fresher and lighter than the ponderous
other Aussie. A little mint/menthol edge. B-/B

Last wine isn't blind, an inexpensive Syrah from the Languedoc. The
2003 Jean-Luc Colombo "La Violette" would have been my wrong guess of
the night if blind -would have definitely been in New World. Overripe
red fruit, not as oozy as the HD but a similar feeling of sluggishness
(though in fairness to the HD the La Violette suffered from a short
finish which one couldn't accuse the Padthaway of). C

Good night with the guys.

[TN] '95 Il Sodaccio di Montevertine Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 3 24-06-2013 04:50 PM
TN: Montevertine, ESJ, Gatinois, and HautGravet DaleW Wine 2 15-05-2012 05:42 PM
TN: 18 bottles of Montevertine on the wall..... DaleW Wine 3 12-01-2010 06:55 PM
TN: Cantemerle and Zilliken DaleW Wine 0 10-03-2007 10:21 PM
TN: Montevertine and Tavel DaleW Wine 0 06-08-2006 06:37 AM