Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Cantemerle and Zilliken

A couple wines on a Friday night:

2000 Cantemerle (from 375)
A bit tight at first, but opens nicely after about 90 minutes in
decanter. Black plum and cherry fruit, a bit of cedar. As it is open a
bit some tobacco/cigarbox notes come out. Weightwise this is a bit
modest for a 2000, but I find it quite enjoyable. The oak notes are
more cedar than vanilla, the acidity is enough to flatter the fruit,
the finish nice and clean. My guess is 750s might benefit from being
held a bit. B+

2005 Zilliken Saarburger Rausch Kabinett Riesling
Packing a lot of sweetness, but with very good acidity, another
Spatlese in Kabinett clothing. This one is so lively and lovely though
that I don't mind a bit. Green apple fruit with a squirt of lime, I
quite enjoy this. Good length. This is maybe a quarter-step behind the
wonderful '04, but great value at $16. A-

TN: Many Cantemerle, many La Lagune DaleW Wine 0 29-06-2014 10:08 PM
TN: SOBER w/Gaja, Graillot, Bourdy, Ygay, Musar, Zilliken DaleW Wine 1 17-02-2011 08:00 PM
TN 1988 Cantemerle DaleW Wine 5 27-06-2007 03:13 PM
TN: Mostly Syrah, plus a Montevertine and a Zilliken DaleW Wine 0 31-03-2007 06:57 PM
Forstmeister Geltz Zilliken 1993 Saarburger Rausch Riesling Auslese James Dempster Wine 2 14-02-2005 09:38 PM