Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Montevertine and Tavel

Friday was a long day at work, and I was happy to get home. Warm but
not oppressive, so we could grill and eat outside. I grilled some tuna
steaks which we ate as burgers with a ginger-mayo (Bittman's column in
this week's NYT dining section- very good for almost no effort). I
felt like Sangiovese, and opened the 1998 Montevertine Toscana Riserva.
Really reticent/tight at first, but eventually opened into a nice wine
with dried cherry and black cherry fruit, moderately high acids, firm
but fine tannins. Some earth and mineral. Quite nice, though the
tannins could use a little time. Could easily go neck and neck with a
lot of $60-75 Brunelli. B++

Tonight was the annual trip distributing needed items that the board of
my organization does as a group (better to do what the organization
does than some retreat); as I was the driver I limited myself to a
half-glass of rosé with Betsy's panko/parmesan crusted pork chops and
a some potato salad beforehand. The wine was the 2004 Domaine Lafond
"Roc-Epine" Tavel. Strawberry and bitter cherry fruit, surprising hint
of sweetness, nice palate feel but a little short. B

I had a sip of each tonight at 1:15 as I returned home (with a late
night snack of cheese). The Montevertine was surprisingly disjointed,
the Tavel was a tad better than at dinner.