Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Cahors and Bourgogne

Monday was the Zuni cafe roast chicken with bread salad recipe (still
my all time favorite chicken dish), with beet salad and cauliflower.
She suggests Pinot Noir, I opened the 2004 Catherine et Claude
Maréchal "Cuvée Gravel " Bourgogne. Red and black cherry fruit, some
earth and a little pepper. Structured and nicely ripe, I can't see any
trace of the green some keep finding in 2004s (though I've mostly been
sampling wines from Cotes du Beaune). B+

Tuesday I was in charge, dinner was leftover cassoulet, preceded with
some Tennessee proscuitto and accompanied by green beans in a mustard
sauce (only I would pair beans and beans). I had done some digging to
get out the 1995 Ch,. du Cayrou Cahors. Dark fruit, still a bit tannic
though not the tannic monster of some Cahors. Sweeter blackberry fruit
notes, some clay-ey earth and leather. A little low-acid for my
tastes, but good wine and good match. B

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW wrote:
> Monday was the Zuni cafe roast chicken with bread salad recipe (still
> my all time favorite chicken dish), with beet salad and cauliflower.
> She suggests Pinot Noir, I opened the 2004 Catherine et Claude
> Maréchal "Cuvée Gravel " Bourgogne. Red and black cherry fruit, some
> earth and a little pepper. Structured and nicely ripe, I can't see any
> trace of the green some keep finding in 2004s (though I've mostly been
> sampling wines from Cotes du Beaune). B+
>
> Tuesday I was in charge, dinner was leftover cassoulet, preceded with
> some Tennessee proscuitto and accompanied by green beans in a mustard
> sauce (only I would pair beans and beans). I had done some digging to
> get out the 1995 Ch,. du Cayrou Cahors. Dark fruit, still a bit tannic
> though not the tannic monster of some Cahors. Sweeter blackberry fruit
> notes, some clay-ey earth and leather. A little low-acid for my
> tastes, but good wine and good match. B
>
> Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent
> wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't
> drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no
> promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.

Cassoulet and Haricots Vertes? Mr. Dale, I've begun to question your
palate.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Feb 21, 2:56�pm, il rit > wrote:

> Cassoulet and Haricots Vertes? *Mr. Dale, I've begun to question your
> palate. *- Hide quoted text -

Well, I admit it was a strange choice- I was just thinking "green
vegetable" as I ran through green grocer. In actuality fresh green
beans and dried white/navy beans don't have the much in common, so
wasn't TOO strange. We realized too late it was Mardi Gras, today I've
made a jambalya-meets-etouffee dish, I'll have the New Orleans
tradition of Riesling.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Cahors and Bourgogne

"DaleW" > wrote in message oups.com...
Monday was the Zuni cafe roast chicken with bread salad recipe (still
my all time favorite chicken dish), with beet salad and cauliflower.
She suggests Pinot Noir, I opened the 2004 Catherine et Claude
Maréchal "Cuvée Gravel " Bourgogne. Red and black cherry fruit, some
earth and a little pepper. Structured and nicely ripe, I can't see any
trace of the green some keep finding in 2004s (though I've mostly been
sampling wines from Cotes du Beaune). B+

Hi Dale,
What a coincidence. The Zuni Cafe chicken recipe appeared in the Philadelphia. Inquirer this morning. I'll have to give it a try.

Jon
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Mar 1, 8:47�am, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> * "DaleW" > wrote in ooglegroups.com...
> * Monday was the Zuni cafe roast chicken with bread *salad recipe (still
> * my all time favorite chicken dish), with beet salad and cauliflower.
> * She suggests Pinot Noir, I opened the 2004 Catherine et Claude
> * Maréchal "Cuvée Gravel " Bourgogne. Red and black cherry fruit, some
> * earth and a little pepper. Structured and nicely ripe, I can't see any
> * trace of the green some keep finding in 2004s (though I've mostly been
> * sampling wines from Cotes du Beaune). B+
>
> Hi Dale,
> What a coincidence. The Zuni Cafe chicken recipe appeared in the Philadelphia. Inquirer this morning. I'll have to give it a try.
>
> Jon

I think it's a stunning way to do chicken. I hope they printed one of
the adaptions- Judy Rodgers' recipe in her cookbook is about 4 pages
and a bit convoluted. Please report back what you think (and don't
stint on the airdrying)!

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 1, 8:47?am, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in
> ooglegroups.com...
> Monday was the Zuni cafe roast chicken with bread salad recipe (still
> my all time favorite chicken dish), with beet salad and cauliflower.
> She suggests Pinot Noir, I opened the 2004 Catherine et Claude
> Marchal "Cuve Gravel " Bourgogne. Red and black cherry fruit, some
> earth and a little pepper. Structured and nicely ripe, I can't see any
> trace of the green some keep finding in 2004s (though I've mostly been
> sampling wines from Cotes du Beaune). B+
>
> Hi Dale,
> What a coincidence. The Zuni Cafe chicken recipe appeared in the
> Philadelphia. Inquirer this morning. I'll have to give it a try.
>
> Jon

> I think it's a stunning way to do chicken. I hope they printed one of
> the adaptions- Judy Rodgers' recipe in her cookbook is about 4 pages
> and a bit convoluted. Please report back what you think (and don't
> stint on the airdrying)!

Dale,
Just noticed this post, sorry I missed it before.

The chicken came out wonderfully. The only problem was I think I left too
much salt on the bird when I pulled it out of the fridge to roast. I believe
this was a problem with technique as
I 'patted' it dry and I think I should have wiped it clean.

The skin and pan juices were a bit to salty to enjoy, but the meat was
incredibly succulent and juicy. I didn't make the bread salad as I had a
request for couscous from my (15 yo) son. I'll try that as well next time.

I'm thinking of pairing it with a 2002 Sobon Estate viognier I was gifted
last week. Interestingly enough, I believe this is a bottle I gave to a
mutual friend a few years ago. It's obviously been making the rounds. :-)

Jon

Cahors - are they ever drinkable? Nils Gustaf Lindgren[_1_] Wine 11 31-10-2007 11:01 PM
Cahors and Bourgogne Zeppo[_1_] Wine 6 07-05-2007 07:18 PM
Chteau de Mercues - Cahors James Dempster Wine 2 07-11-2006 08:25 PM
Cahors inquiry The Yellow Elf Wine 0 20-11-2005 02:14 PM
Ian others, comments on Cahors jcoulter Wine 6 24-09-2004 08:54 PM