Posted to alt.food.wine
Zeppo[_1_] Zeppo[_1_] is offline

Default Cahors and Bourgogne

"DaleW" > wrote in message
ups.com...
On Mar 1, 8:47?am, "Zeppo" > wrote:
> "DaleW" > wrote in
> ooglegroups.com...
> Monday was the Zuni cafe roast chicken with bread salad recipe (still
> my all time favorite chicken dish), with beet salad and cauliflower.
> She suggests Pinot Noir, I opened the 2004 Catherine et Claude
> Marchal "Cuve Gravel " Bourgogne. Red and black cherry fruit, some
> earth and a little pepper. Structured and nicely ripe, I can't see any
> trace of the green some keep finding in 2004s (though I've mostly been
> sampling wines from Cotes du Beaune). B+
>
> Hi Dale,
> What a coincidence. The Zuni Cafe chicken recipe appeared in the
> Philadelphia. Inquirer this morning. I'll have to give it a try.
>
> Jon

> I think it's a stunning way to do chicken. I hope they printed one of
> the adaptions- Judy Rodgers' recipe in her cookbook is about 4 pages
> and a bit convoluted. Please report back what you think (and don't
> stint on the airdrying)!

Dale,
Just noticed this post, sorry I missed it before.

The chicken came out wonderfully. The only problem was I think I left too
much salt on the bird when I pulled it out of the fridge to roast. I believe
this was a problem with technique as
I 'patted' it dry and I think I should have wiped it clean.

The skin and pan juices were a bit to salty to enjoy, but the meat was
incredibly succulent and juicy. I didn't make the bread salad as I had a
request for couscous from my (15 yo) son. I'll try that as well next time.

I'm thinking of pairing it with a 2002 Sobon Estate viognier I was gifted
last week. Interestingly enough, I believe this is a bottle I gave to a
mutual friend a few years ago. It's obviously been making the rounds. :-)

Jon