Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Recent Experiences

In the last few days I've gone through a couple of commentable wines,
none of which were exceptional, but which some might find appealing.

A few days ago with a Silver Palette cookbook recipe for "Chicken
Marbella"--we used thighs rather than whole chickens which returns
juicier meat and better marinating, with olive oil, capers, prunes and
pitted green olives: Justin 2005 Sauvignon Blanc. I'm partial to the
flinty rather than the grapefruit style. This was not flint, but
neither was it grapefruit. More tangy white peach and pear with a
tendency toward New Zealand style cat pee (a flavor I assume since
I've no first person experience with the original.) Did well with the
chicken, but I'd have done better with a warmer style like a
Chardonnay.

Then pre-feast appetizers yesterday: a gorgonzola and candied
cranberry brushchetta with Domain ste Michelle Brut champagne. I've
always liked Ch. ste Michelle wines and picked this up for that
reason. Nice wine for the purpose and good QPR at about $10/btl.
Methode champenoise with nice bubbles, pleasant tartness but a bit
lacking in the yeastiness I like. Will probably buy it again for
swilling purposes.

With the turkey, the promised Williams Selyem PN stayed in the rack
and I went with the Lorenz V. "Charming Gruner Veltliner". It was a
pleasant wine that survived the flavor varieties, but I'm not sure
that I'm going to become a huge GV fan. A bit citrusy reminding me of
an Alsace riesling.

Tonight the leftovers will get Renwood Fiddleback Zinfandel '03.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus > wrote:

> Justin 2005 Sauvignon Blanc

Where does this come from?

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:35:28 +0100, Michael Pronay >
wrote:

>Ed Rasimus > wrote:
>
>> Justin 2005 Sauvignon Blanc

>Where does this come from?
>
>M.

Napa Valley. Justin Vineyards in California.
http://www.justinwine.com/index.html

I'm a big fan of their Cabernet Sauvignon, but have found their whites
to be mediocre IMO.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

wrote:

>Ed Rasimus > wrote:
>
>> Justin 2005 Sauvignon Blanc

>Where does this come from?
>
>M.

Ooops. Just checked to verify and find that it's from Paso Robles, not
Napa.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus > wrote:

>>> Justin 2005 Sauvignon Blanc

>> Where does this come from?

> Ooops. Just checked to verify and find that it's from Paso
> Robles, not Napa.

No problem - on this side of the pond, that's "California"
tout court ... ;-)

M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Thanks for the notes, and happy T-givng.
I think you're right re the Silver Palate Chicken Marabella needing a
bigger wine.
Don't judge GV on one bottle (from a producer most of us haven't heard
of!).
Best
Dale

Ed Rasimus wrote:
> In the last few days I've gone through a couple of commentable wines,
> none of which were exceptional, but which some might find appealing.
>
> A few days ago with a Silver Palette cookbook recipe for "Chicken
> Marbella"--we used thighs rather than whole chickens which returns
> juicier meat and better marinating, with olive oil, capers, prunes and
> pitted green olives: Justin 2005 Sauvignon Blanc. I'm partial to the
> flinty rather than the grapefruit style. This was not flint, but
> neither was it grapefruit. More tangy white peach and pear with a
> tendency toward New Zealand style cat pee (a flavor I assume since
> I've no first person experience with the original.) Did well with the
> chicken, but I'd have done better with a warmer style like a
> Chardonnay.
>
> Then pre-feast appetizers yesterday: a gorgonzola and candied
> cranberry brushchetta with Domain ste Michelle Brut champagne. I've
> always liked Ch. ste Michelle wines and picked this up for that
> reason. Nice wine for the purpose and good QPR at about $10/btl.
> Methode champenoise with nice bubbles, pleasant tartness but a bit
> lacking in the yeastiness I like. Will probably buy it again for
> swilling purposes.
>
> With the turkey, the promised Williams Selyem PN stayed in the rack
> and I went with the Lorenz V. "Charming Gruner Veltliner". It was a
> pleasant wine that survived the flavor varieties, but I'm not sure
> that I'm going to become a huge GV fan. A bit citrusy reminding me of
> an Alsace riesling.
>
> Tonight the leftovers will get Renwood Fiddleback Zinfandel '03.
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> www.thunderchief.org
> www.thundertales.blogspot.com

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote:

>> With the turkey, the promised Williams Selyem PN stayed in the
>> rack and I went with the Lorenz V. "Charming Gruner Veltliner".

^
Laurenz

>> It was a pleasant wine that survived the flavor varieties, but
>> I'm not sure that I'm going to become a huge GV fan. A bit
>> citrusy reminding me of an Alsace riesling.

I obviously overread this.

> Don't judge GV on one bottle (from a producer most of us haven't
> heard of!).

Exactly!

In fact, most of you *have* heard of the producer: Lenz Moser. To
be exact, it's Laurenz the fifth ("Laurenz V." stands for "Laurenz
five). "Lenz" is short for "Laurenz". He has no connection anymore
with the négociant house Lenz Moser, Austria's largest wine
producer.

The wine is exactly what it pretends to be: charming, without too
much depth.

Laurenz V. is vinified by Fred Loimer (Langenlois, Kamptal), and
selected and blended by Lenz M. Moser = Lenz Maria Moser = Laurenz
V Moser.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 20:13:05 +0100, Michael Pronay >
wrote:

>"DaleW" > wrote:
>
>>> With the turkey, the promised Williams Selyem PN stayed in the
>>> rack and I went with the Lorenz V. "Charming Gruner Veltliner".

> ^
> Laurenz
>
>>> It was a pleasant wine that survived the flavor varieties, but
>>> I'm not sure that I'm going to become a huge GV fan. A bit
>>> citrusy reminding me of an Alsace riesling.

>I obviously overread this.
>
>> Don't judge GV on one bottle (from a producer most of us haven't
>> heard of!).

>Exactly!
>
>In fact, most of you *have* heard of the producer: Lenz Moser. To
>be exact, it's Laurenz the fifth ("Laurenz V." stands for "Laurenz
>five). "Lenz" is short for "Laurenz". He has no connection anymore
>with the négociant house Lenz Moser, Austria's largest wine
>producer.
>
>The wine is exactly what it pretends to be: charming, without too
>much depth.
>
>Laurenz V. is vinified by Fred Loimer (Langenlois, Kamptal), and
>selected and blended by Lenz M. Moser = Lenz Maria Moser = Laurenz
>V Moser.
>
>M.

Ahh, at last someone who has heard of the wine--and was able to
identify dispite my laziness and reluctance to retrieve the bottle
while seated at the computer to insure spelling.

OK, I'm convinced, I'll give GV another chance. This wine was picked
from four or five available at Central Market (an elitist bourgeois
grocery establishment catering to central TX nouveau riche
yuppetarians.) It was the priciest of the available choices hence
leading me to the conclusion that it might be representative of the
genre.

Will do further research as opportunity presents itself.

Thanks, Michael.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus > wrote in
:

> Ahh, at last someone who has heard of the wine--and was able to
> identify dispite my laziness and reluctance to retrieve the bottle
> while seated at the computer to insure spelling.
>
> OK, I'm convinced, I'll give GV another chance. This wine was picked
> from four or five available at Central Market (an elitist bourgeois
> grocery establishment catering to central TX nouveau riche
> yuppetarians.) It was the priciest of the available choices hence
> leading me to the conclusion that it might be representative of the
> genre.
>
> Will do further research as opportunity presents itself.

Putting in another word for Loimer Langelois 2004, $13.99 in
Pennsylvania...the best GV I've tasted (though I still haven't had a
Smaragd from anyone, yet)...going to see how well it goes with leftovers
tonight

d.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 18:35:28 +0100, Michael Pronay >
> wrote:
>
>> Ed Rasimus > wrote:
>>
>>> Justin 2005 Sauvignon Blanc

>> Where does this come from?
>>
>> M.

> Napa Valley. Justin Vineyards in California.
> http://www.justinwine.com/index.html

Is Justin buying fruit from Napa Valley? The winery is in Paso Robles
in Central California.

Dana

Posted to alt.food.wine

enoavidh > wrote:

> Putting in another word for Loimer Langelois 2004, $13.99 in
> Pennsylvania...the best GV I've tasted (though I still haven't had a
> Smaragd from anyone, yet)...going to see how well it goes with leftovers
> tonight
>
> d.

Don't know if you can get it at the PA State Store, but Fred Loimer does
a single vineyard bottling called Kaeferberg that is very, very good.
Also, the State Store at Village Square in Bethel Park had (has??)
Smaragd GV from Rudi Pichler that was simply outstanding!

Dave
--
There's a fine line between stupid and clever.
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Sat, 25 Nov 2006 01:52:57 +0000 (UTC), enoavidh
> wrote:

(Dave Devine) wrote in
>news:1hpc742.pbdcbcxvlggkN%dave_devine@nospamcop. net:
>

>> Don't know if you can get it at the PA State Store, but Fred Loimer does
>> a single vineyard bottling called Kaeferberg that is very, very good.
>> Also, the State Store at Village Square in Bethel Park had (has??)
>> Smaragd GV from Rudi Pichler that was simply outstanding!
>>

>Thanks, Dave, getting to Village Square is difficult for me, without a car.
>I see that Waterworks, in Fox Chapel, has it also:
> R PICHLER GRUNER VELTLINER SMARAGD HOCHRIAN 01 $37.99
>Is that the one?
>
>d.
>PS, the Loimer went pretty well well with the trad turkey with sage
>stuffing; okay with the cranberry sauce...

Have to wait and see how well Smaragd does against USC this evening.
If Brady Quinn has a good day, it could upset the BCS rankings--oh, we
were talking about wine...never mind.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

thanks for info. Not sure I have had a Lenz Moser, though have heard of
them. And have had a couple of Loimer's low end wines ("Lois").

As an aside, Is Loim also a place? I think I've seen Loimer as part of
a vineyard name- a bit confusing for those of us just learning about
Austrian wines!

Posted to alt.food.wine

"DaleW" > wrote:

> thanks for info. Not sure I have had a Lenz Moser, though have
> heard of them.

Caution - "Lenz Moser" is the name of Austria's largest wine
producer/bottler, while Laurenz V. is brand-new (second vintage
has been released shortly). Take a look:

<http://www.laurenzfive.com/> (Homepage entirely in English, no
German version!)

> And have had a couple of Loimer's low end wines ("Lois").

"Lois" is his entry wine and kind of cash cow, decently made, but
not really profound.

> As an aside, Is Loim also a place? I think I've seen Loimer as
> part of a vineyard name - a bit confusing for those of us just
> learning about Austrian wines!

No, "Loim" is not a place name. What you might have seen is
"Loiser", which is just short for "Langenloiser", the vineyard
"Loiser Berg" comes to my mind. Funnily enough, "Langenloiser" can
be shortened to "Loiser", "Langenlois", however, never to "Lois".
Fred Loimer's "Lois" is a phantasy name.

M.