Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Supermarket Experiences

Hi everyone,

Please excuse my intrusion into your lovely grouip of Food fans but I
crave your indulgence.

I guess most of us have been in a supermarket at one time or another.

I'm doing some research and I thought this group might be a good place
to start.

I'm researching two main things and I'd be very grateful for any
comments -

(1) How the average (that's you) shopper deals with queuing at the
checkout in a supermarket - do you chat to the other people, are you
commenting on the management of the supermarket, do you zone out
totally until it is your turn, anything else... please include if you
are waiting alone or if you have someone with you (mother, sister,
other relative, partner, child, friend etc) What I'd like to get
from this is a broad idea of how we deal with going through a busy
checkout. (How I feel about it depends on how many of the staff can be
seen to be standing around talking while the over worked checkout
staff slave away)

(2) Any particularly glowing examples - either positive or negative-
that you may have experienced in a supermarket . Great customer
service? lousy customer service ? What happened , what did you do,
what did they do, what was the outcome?

Other than the above , I'd be happy to get any other comments such as
people blocking the aisles, poor quality of produce, out of date
produce, 'specials' that are sold out before you get there,
embarrassing moments like having the checkout operator calling on the
microphone for a price check for condoms... (okay, not food -
unless ?? )

Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
degree.

Thank you :-)

Tabbi

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tabbi said...

> Hi everyone,
>
> Please excuse my intrusion into your lovely grouip of Food fans but I
> crave your indulgence.
>
> I guess most of us have been in a supermarket at one time or another.
>
> I'm doing some research and I thought this group might be a good place
> to start.
>
> I'm researching two main things and I'd be very grateful for any
> comments -
>
> (1) How the average (that's you) shopper deals with queuing at the
> checkout in a supermarket - do you chat to the other people, are you
> commenting on the management of the supermarket, do you zone out
> totally until it is your turn, anything else... please include if you
> are waiting alone or if you have someone with you (mother, sister,
> other relative, partner, child, friend etc) What I'd like to get
> from this is a broad idea of how we deal with going through a busy
> checkout. (How I feel about it depends on how many of the staff can be
> seen to be standing around talking while the over worked checkout
> staff slave away)
>
> (2) Any particularly glowing examples - either positive or negative-
> that you may have experienced in a supermarket . Great customer
> service? lousy customer service ? What happened , what did you do,
> what did they do, what was the outcome?
>
> Other than the above , I'd be happy to get any other comments such as
> people blocking the aisles, poor quality of produce, out of date
> produce, 'specials' that are sold out before you get there,
> embarrassing moments like having the checkout operator calling on the
> microphone for a price check for condoms... (okay, not food -
> unless ?? )
>

> Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
> degree.
>
> Thank you :-)
>
> Tabbi

I'll happily impart all my knowledge of supermarkets if you answer me
this...

How do you keep a whore in suspense?

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 10, 6:27 am, Tabbi > wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Please excuse my intrusion into your lovely grouip of Food fans but I
> crave your indulgence.
>
> I guess most of us have been in a supermarket at one time or another.
>
> I'm doing some research and I thought this group might be a good place
> to start.
>
> I'm researching two main things and I'd be very grateful for any
> comments -
>
> (1) How the average (that's you) shopper deals with queuing at the
> checkout in a supermarket - do you chat to the other people, are you
> commenting on the management of the supermarket, do you zone out
> totally until it is your turn, anything else... please include if you
> are waiting alone or if you have someone with you (mother, sister,
> other relative, partner, child, friend etc) What I'd like to get
> from this is a broad idea of how we deal with going through a busy
> checkout. (How I feel about it depends on how many of the staff can be
> seen to be standing around talking while the over worked checkout
> staff slave away)
>
> (2) Any particularly glowing examples - either positive or negative-
> that you may have experienced in a supermarket . Great customer
> service? lousy customer service ? What happened , what did you do,
> what did they do, what was the outcome?
>
> Other than the above , I'd be happy to get any other comments such as
> people blocking the aisles, poor quality of produce, out of date
> produce, 'specials' that are sold out before you get there,
> embarrassing moments like having the checkout operator calling on the
> microphone for a price check for condoms... (okay, not food -
> unless ?? )
>
> Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
> degree.
>
> Thank you :-)
>
> Tabbi

Go to googlegroups. search on supermarket. you'll get all sorts of
threads that have covered this in detail. Do your own homework. This
is not an on-line crib sheet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
> Tabbi said...
>
> > Hi everyone,
> >
> > Please excuse my intrusion into your lovely grouip of Food fans but I
> > crave your indulgence.
> >
> > I guess most of us have been in a supermarket at one time or another.
> >
> > I'm doing some research and I thought this group might be a good place
> > to start.
> >
> > I'm researching two main things and I'd be very grateful for any
> > comments -
> >
> > (1) How the average (that's you) shopper deals with queuing at the
> > checkout in a supermarket - do you chat to the other people, are you
> > commenting on the management of the supermarket, do you zone out
> > totally until it is your turn, anything else... please include if you
> > are waiting alone or if you have someone with you (mother, sister,
> > other relative, partner, child, friend etc) What I'd like to get
> > from this is a broad idea of how we deal with going through a busy
> > checkout. (How I feel about it depends on how many of the staff can be
> > seen to be standing around talking while the over worked checkout
> > staff slave away)
> >
> > (2) Any particularly glowing examples - either positive or negative-
> > that you may have experienced in a supermarket . Great customer
> > service? lousy customer service ? What happened , what did you do,
> > what did they do, what was the outcome?
> >
> > Other than the above , I'd be happy to get any other comments such as
> > people blocking the aisles, poor quality of produce, out of date
> > produce, 'specials' that are sold out before you get there,
> > embarrassing moments like having the checkout operator calling on the
> > microphone for a price check for condoms... (okay, not food -
> > unless ?? )
> >

> > Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
> > degree.
> >
> > Thank you :-)
> >
> > Tabbi

> I'll happily impart all my knowledge of supermarkets if you answer me
> this...
>
> How do you keep a whore in suspense?

I don't know, how?

Paul

Hello ????

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tabbi" > wrote in message
ups.com...
> Hi everyone,
>
> Please excuse my intrusion into your lovely grouip of Food fans but I
> crave your indulgence.
>
> I guess most of us have been in a supermarket at one time or another.
>
> I'm doing some research and I thought this group might be a good place
> to start.
>
> I'm researching two main things and I'd be very grateful for any
> comments -
>
> (1) How the average (that's you) shopper deals with queuing at the
> checkout in a supermarket - do you chat to the other people, are you
> commenting on the management of the supermarket, do you zone out
> totally until it is your turn, anything else... please include if you
> are waiting alone or if you have someone with you (mother, sister,
> other relative, partner, child, friend etc) What I'd like to get
> from this is a broad idea of how we deal with going through a busy
> checkout. (How I feel about it depends on how many of the staff can be
> seen to be standing around talking while the over worked checkout
> staff slave away)

I usually pretend I am not staring at the cleavage of the hot checkout
chick. My market has great taste in that department.

> (2) Any particularly glowing examples - either positive or negative-
> that you may have experienced in a supermarket . Great customer
> service? lousy customer service ? What happened , what did you do,
> what did they do, what was the outcome?

They sure learned how to attract the male market, let me tell ya. Definite
plus.

> Other than the above , I'd be happy to get any other comments such as
> people blocking the aisles, poor quality of produce, out of date
> produce, 'specials' that are sold out before you get there,
> embarrassing moments like having the checkout operator calling on the
> microphone for a price check for condoms... (okay, not food -
> unless ?? )

Who cares! Just as long as they maintain the status quo. The only problem
is the really hot chix always have the lines backed up out the door.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Tabbi" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Please excuse my intrusion into your lovely grouip of Food fans but I
>> crave your indulgence.
>>
>> I guess most of us have been in a supermarket at one time or another.
>>
>> I'm doing some research and I thought this group might be a good place
>> to start.
>>
>> I'm researching two main things and I'd be very grateful for any
>> comments -
>>
>> (1) How the average (that's you) shopper deals with queuing at the
>> checkout in a supermarket - do you chat to the other people, are you
>> commenting on the management of the supermarket, do you zone out
>> totally until it is your turn, anything else... please include if you
>> are waiting alone or if you have someone with you (mother, sister,
>> other relative, partner, child, friend etc) What I'd like to get
>> from this is a broad idea of how we deal with going through a busy
>> checkout. (How I feel about it depends on how many of the staff can be
>> seen to be standing around talking while the over worked checkout
>> staff slave away)
>>

> I usually pretend I am not staring at the cleavage of the hot checkout
> chick. My market has great taste in that department.

I'm partial to the open freezers in summertime. Lots of stars out, what with
the summery clothing women wear.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message

> "Tabbi" > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> Hi everyone,
>>
>> Please excuse my intrusion into your lovely grouip of Food fans but I
>> crave your indulgence.
>>
>> I guess most of us have been in a supermarket at one time or another.
>>
>> I'm doing some research and I thought this group might be a good place
>> to start.
>>
>> I'm researching two main things and I'd be very grateful for any
>> comments -
>>
>> (1) How the average (that's you) shopper deals with queuing at the
>> checkout in a supermarket - do you chat to the other people, are you
>> commenting on the management of the supermarket, do you zone out
>> totally until it is your turn, anything else... please include if you
>> are waiting alone or if you have someone with you (mother, sister,
>> other relative, partner, child, friend etc) What I'd like to get
>> from this is a broad idea of how we deal with going through a busy
>> checkout. (How I feel about it depends on how many of the staff can be
>> seen to be standing around talking while the over worked checkout
>> staff slave away)
>>

> I usually pretend I am not staring at the cleavage of the hot checkout
> chick. My market has great taste in that department.
>
>> (2) Any particularly glowing examples - either positive or negative-
>> that you may have experienced in a supermarket . Great customer
>> service? lousy customer service ? What happened , what did you do,
>> what did they do, what was the outcome?

> They sure learned how to attract the male market, let me tell ya.
> Definite
> plus.
>
>> Other than the above , I'd be happy to get any other comments such as
>> people blocking the aisles, poor quality of produce, out of date
>> produce, 'specials' that are sold out before you get there,
>> embarrassing moments like having the checkout operator calling on the
>> microphone for a price check for condoms... (okay, not food -
>> unless ?? )

> Who cares! Just as long as they maintain the status quo. The only
> problem
> is the really hot chix always have the lines backed up out the door.
>
> Paul

But Paul, did you ever think they might be into each other and not you?
-g (putting another spin on a slowly downward spiralling thread)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Tabbi wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Please excuse my intrusion into your lovely grouip of Food fans but I
> crave your indulgence.
>
> I guess most of us have been in a supermarket at one time or another.
>
> I'm doing some research and I thought this group might be a good place
> to start.
>
> I'm researching two main things and I'd be very grateful for any
> comments -
>
> (1) How the average (that's you) shopper deals with queuing at the
> checkout in a supermarket - do you chat to the other people, are you
> commenting on the management of the supermarket, do you zone out
> totally until it is your turn, anything else... please include if you
> are waiting alone or if you have someone with you (mother, sister,
> other relative, partner, child, friend etc) What I'd like to get
> from this is a broad idea of how we deal with going through a busy
> checkout. (How I feel about it depends on how many of the staff can be
> seen to be standing around talking while the over worked checkout
> staff slave away)
>
> (2) Any particularly glowing examples - either positive or negative-
> that you may have experienced in a supermarket . Great customer
> service? lousy customer service ? What happened , what did you do,
> what did they do, what was the outcome?
>
> Other than the above , I'd be happy to get any other comments such as
> people blocking the aisles, poor quality of produce, out of date
> produce, 'specials' that are sold out before you get there,
> embarrassing moments like having the checkout operator calling on the
> microphone for a price check for condoms... (okay, not food -
> unless ?? )
>

> Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
> degree.
>
> Thank you :-)
>
> Tabbi

They need to have a seating area next to the magazine rack. I get tire
standing while browsing thru the mags after about an hour.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>
>> I'll happily impart all my knowledge of supermarkets if you answer me
>> this...
>>
>> How do you keep a whore in suspense?
>>

> I don't know, how?
>
> Paul
>
> Hello ????

Dunno. But the version I heard was:

Q. How do you make a hormone?

A. Don't pay...

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - ducking and running...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Virginia Tadrzynski" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> >
> > "Tabbi" > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >> Hi everyone,
> >>
> >> Please excuse my intrusion into your lovely grouip of Food fans but I
> >> crave your indulgence.
> >>
> >> I guess most of us have been in a supermarket at one time or another.
> >>
> >> I'm doing some research and I thought this group might be a good place
> >> to start.
> >>
> >> I'm researching two main things and I'd be very grateful for any
> >> comments -
> >>
> >> (1) How the average (that's you) shopper deals with queuing at the
> >> checkout in a supermarket - do you chat to the other people, are you
> >> commenting on the management of the supermarket, do you zone out
> >> totally until it is your turn, anything else... please include if you
> >> are waiting alone or if you have someone with you (mother, sister,
> >> other relative, partner, child, friend etc) What I'd like to get
> >> from this is a broad idea of how we deal with going through a busy
> >> checkout. (How I feel about it depends on how many of the staff can be
> >> seen to be standing around talking while the over worked checkout
> >> staff slave away)
> >>

> > I usually pretend I am not staring at the cleavage of the hot checkout
> > chick. My market has great taste in that department.
> >
> >> (2) Any particularly glowing examples - either positive or negative-
> >> that you may have experienced in a supermarket . Great customer
> >> service? lousy customer service ? What happened , what did you do,
> >> what did they do, what was the outcome?

> > They sure learned how to attract the male market, let me tell ya.
> > Definite
> > plus.
> >
> >> Other than the above , I'd be happy to get any other comments such as
> >> people blocking the aisles, poor quality of produce, out of date
> >> produce, 'specials' that are sold out before you get there,
> >> embarrassing moments like having the checkout operator calling on the
> >> microphone for a price check for condoms... (okay, not food -
> >> unless ?? )

> > Who cares! Just as long as they maintain the status quo. The only
> > problem
> > is the really hot chix always have the lines backed up out the door.
> >
> > Paul
> >

> But Paul, did you ever think they might be into each other and not you?
> -g (putting another spin on a slowly downward spiralling thread)

Hmmm .. well that sure does add yet another angle. I have noticed women in
those lines as well. Very intriguing, now that you mention it.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:08:11 -0500, Scott > wrote:

>They need to have a seating area next to the magazine rack. I get tire
>standing while browsing thru the mags after about an hour.

Don't like waiting in line? Go at times other than prime time. Our
Kroger is quite busy from about 3:30-7pm most days, and from late
morning til about 7 on Saturday. But go Saturday morning (hey, there
ain't no good cartoons on anymore anyhow!) and you beat the crowds.

There may be two people in line in front of me, but usually it's just
one. Or none. Get there right as they're setting out and marking
down last night's beef and you can get some pretty good buys. Not to
mention that the sale items are often well-stocked on early mornings.

Best -- Terry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 03:27:42 -0700, Tabbi >
wrote:

>(2) Any particularly glowing examples - either positive or negative-
>that you may have experienced in a supermarket . Great customer
>service? lousy customer service ? What happened , what did you do,
>what did they do, what was the outcome?
>
>Other than the above , I'd be happy to get any other comments such as
>people blocking the aisles, poor quality of produce, out of date
>produce, 'specials' that are sold out before you get there,
>embarrassing moments like having the checkout operator calling on the
>microphone for a price check for condoms... (okay, not food -
>unless ?? )

Honey, all you need to do is google for the stories. There are plenty
on record already.
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 06:13:52 -0500, Andy <q> wrote:

>'ll happily impart all my knowledge of supermarkets if you answer me
>this...
>
>How do you keep a whore in suspense?

You've asked this so many times, I'm beginning to wonder what the
answer is..... but you don't need to tell me *yet*. <snork>
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 19:23:15 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> "Andy" <q> wrote in message ...
>>>
>>> I'll happily impart all my knowledge of supermarkets if you answer me
>>> this...
>>>
>>> How do you keep a whore in suspense?

<snip>

>Dunno. But the version I heard was:
>
>Q. How do you make a hormone?
>
>A. Don't pay...

<slapping knee> LOLOL!
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 11:53:32 GMT, Steve Wertz
> wrote:

>On Mon, 10 Sep 2007 03:27:42 -0700, Tabbi wrote:
>
>> (1) How the average (that's you) shopper deals with ...

>Oh, sure. Start off by insulting us.

LOLOL!

--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default HATE HATE HATE SAFEWAY HATE SAFEWAY (was: Supermarket Experiences)

Tabbi wrote:

> Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
> degree.

The final straw that got me to stop shopping at Safeway
was when they reprogrammed their computers to rip off
the consumer making change. It used to be if you had
$0.80 change coming, you'd get three quarters and a
nickel. Now you get two quarters and three dimes,
or worse. Even if you have $0.50 coming, you won't
get two quarters. You'll get one quarter, two dimes,
and a nickel.

Why do they do this? It's to reduce the amount of
change they have to stock in the checkout lines.
To save _the_interest_ in the value of the change
(less than a penny per shift), they are willing
to inconvenience hundreds of customers. Safeway
is willing to spit on hundreds of customers for
less than a penny! I can take my business elsewhere.

Now, you might wrongly say that I can always ask
to trade my change for some quarters. The last time
I did that, the checker didn't have any quarters in
her drawer. I pointed to the change machine and
pointed out that it was full of quarters. But she
said they'd changed the machines, and she'd have
to get the quarters from another checker. In all,
it took about an extra three minutes, and I wasn't
about to let them off the hook for those quarters.
I'm sure they hated me for that, which is fine with
me, as long as they also hate their employer at least
as much. They should suffer for having chosen an
employer with so little regard for their employees
and their customers. HATE HATE HATE SAFEWAY.

I now do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's, even
though that's a fair distance from me, and Safeway
is only two blocks away. The employees at TJ's
seem genuinely happy to work there, unlike every
other place that sells groceries. And the prices
are excellent. I'd rather buy more groceries from
a genuinely happy person at TJ's than from a slave
at Safeway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Tabbi wrote:
>>
>> Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
>> degree.

> The final straw that got me to stop shopping at Safeway
> was when they reprogrammed their computers to rip off
> the consumer making change. It used to be if you had
> $0.80 change coming, you'd get three quarters and a
> nickel. Now you get two quarters and three dimes,
> or worse. Even if you have $0.50 coming, you won't
> get two quarters. You'll get one quarter, two dimes,
> and a nickel.
>
> Why do they do this? It's to reduce the amount of
> change they have to stock in the checkout lines.
> To save _the_interest_ in the value of the change
> (less than a penny per shift), they are willing
> to inconvenience hundreds of customers. Safeway
> is willing to spit on hundreds of customers for
> less than a penny! I can take my business elsewhere.
>
> Now, you might wrongly say that I can always ask
> to trade my change for some quarters. The last time
> I did that, the checker didn't have any quarters in
> her drawer. I pointed to the change machine and
> pointed out that it was full of quarters. But she
> said they'd changed the machines, and she'd have
> to get the quarters from another checker. In all,
> it took about an extra three minutes, and I wasn't
> about to let them off the hook for those quarters.
> I'm sure they hated me for that, which is fine with
> me, as long as they also hate their employer at least
> as much. They should suffer for having chosen an
> employer with so little regard for their employees
> and their customers. HATE HATE HATE SAFEWAY.
>
> I now do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's, even
> though that's a fair distance from me, and Safeway
> is only two blocks away. The employees at TJ's
> seem genuinely happy to work there, unlike every
> other place that sells groceries. And the prices
> are excellent. I'd rather buy more groceries from
> a genuinely happy person at TJ's than from a slave
> at Safeway.

I had to read this post twice. You are annoyed because your change isn't
the correct colour?
e.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Tabbi wrote:
>>
>> Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
>> degree.

> The final straw that got me to stop shopping at Safeway
> was when they reprogrammed their computers to rip off
> the consumer making change. It used to be if you had
> $0.80 change coming, you'd get three quarters and a
> nickel.

And you have a problem with fifty cents coming in the form of a quarter, two
dimes and a nickel because...? Might take up some extra room in your pocket
but it all spends the same.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mark Thorson wrote:
> Tabbi wrote:
>>
>> Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
>> degree.

> The final straw that got me to stop shopping at Safeway was when they
> reprogrammed their computers to rip off the consumer making change.
> It used to be if you had $0.80 change coming, you'd get three quarters
> and a nickel. Now you get two quarters and three dimes, or worse.
> Even if you have $0.50 coming, you won't get two quarters. You'll get
> one quarter, two dimes, and a nickel.

Such thievery! Only 50 cents in coin when they *actually* owe you 50
cents! Bastages!

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Blinky the Shark" > wrote in message
> Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Tabbi wrote:
>>>
>>> Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
>>> degree.

>> The final straw that got me to stop shopping at Safeway was when they
>> reprogrammed their computers to rip off the consumer making change.
>> It used to be if you had $0.80 change coming, you'd get three quarters
>> and a nickel. Now you get two quarters and three dimes, or worse.
>> Even if you have $0.50 coming, you won't get two quarters. You'll get
>> one quarter, two dimes, and a nickel.

> Such thievery! Only 50 cents in coin when they *actually* owe you 50
> cents! Bastages!

hahaha

Posted to rec.food.cooking

u is a winer!

-------------------
FJ

ms--go to home depot

"Mark Thorson" > wrote in message
> Tabbi wrote:
>>
>> Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
>> degree.

> The final straw that got me to stop shopping at Safeway
> was when they reprogrammed their computers to rip off
> the consumer making change. It used to be if you had
> $0.80 change coming, you'd get three quarters and a
> nickel. Now you get two quarters and three dimes,
> or worse. Even if you have $0.50 coming, you won't
> get two quarters. You'll get one quarter, two dimes,
> and a nickel.
>
> Why do they do this? It's to reduce the amount of
> change they have to stock in the checkout lines.
> To save _the_interest_ in the value of the change
> (less than a penny per shift), they are willing
> to inconvenience hundreds of customers. Safeway
> is willing to spit on hundreds of customers for
> less than a penny! I can take my business elsewhere.
>
> Now, you might wrongly say that I can always ask
> to trade my change for some quarters. The last time
> I did that, the checker didn't have any quarters in
> her drawer. I pointed to the change machine and
> pointed out that it was full of quarters. But she
> said they'd changed the machines, and she'd have
> to get the quarters from another checker. In all,
> it took about an extra three minutes, and I wasn't
> about to let them off the hook for those quarters.
> I'm sure they hated me for that, which is fine with
> me, as long as they also hate their employer at least
> as much. They should suffer for having chosen an
> employer with so little regard for their employees
> and their customers. HATE HATE HATE SAFEWAY.
>
> I now do most of my shopping at Trader Joe's, even
> though that's a fair distance from me, and Safeway
> is only two blocks away. The employees at TJ's
> seem genuinely happy to work there, unlike every
> other place that sells groceries. And the prices
> are excellent. I'd rather buy more groceries from
> a genuinely happy person at TJ's than from a slave
> at Safeway.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"cybercat" > wrote in message

>> Such thievery! Only 50 cents in coin when they *actually* owe you 50
>> cents! Bastages!
>>

> hahaha

The Safeway here and also some other stores now have one of those annoying
devices that spits your change out down at the end of the counter. People
who are in a hurry tend to forget to take their change. Or sometimes maybe
they just can't be bothered. It is annoying to have to take bills in change
and then walk down there and get the rest of the change. I'd say at least
every third time I shop there, I find someone's change left behind.

Gee... I wonder what they do with the leftover change?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:58:11 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>The final straw that got me to stop shopping at Safeway
>was when they reprogrammed their computers to rip off
>the consumer making change. It used to be if you had
>$0.80 change coming, you'd get three quarters and a
>nickel. Now you get two quarters and three dimes,
>or worse. Even if you have $0.50 coming, you won't
>get two quarters. You'll get one quarter, two dimes,
>and a nickel.
>
>Why do they do this? It's to reduce the amount of
>change they have to stock in the checkout lines.
>To save _the_interest_ in the value of the change
>(less than a penny per shift), they are willing
>to inconvenience hundreds of customers. Safeway
>is willing to spit on hundreds of customers for
>less than a penny! I can take my business elsewhere.

Boy, it doesn't take much to make you mad. How does it feel going
through life with a permanent scowl?
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 15:58:11 -0700, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>>The final straw that got me to stop shopping at Safeway
>>was when they reprogrammed their computers to rip off
>>the consumer making change. It used to be if you had
>>$0.80 change coming, you'd get three quarters and a
>>nickel. Now you get two quarters and three dimes,
>>or worse. Even if you have $0.50 coming, you won't
>>get two quarters. You'll get one quarter, two dimes,
>>and a nickel.
>>
>>Why do they do this? It's to reduce the amount of
>>change they have to stock in the checkout lines.
>>To save _the_interest_ in the value of the change
>>(less than a penny per shift), they are willing
>>to inconvenience hundreds of customers. Safeway
>>is willing to spit on hundreds of customers for
>>less than a penny! I can take my business elsewhere.

> Boy, it doesn't take much to make you mad. How does it feel going
> through life with a permanent scowl?
> --

At least he has temporarily stopped the moronic "PIT BULL EATS BABY ALIVE"
posts.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> Boy, it doesn't take much to make you mad. How does it feel
> going through life with a permanent scowl?

Mad? Not had your coffee, yet?

I buy my groceries from people who are happy
or at least satisfied with their jobs!
I stopped buying at Safeway months ago -- about
half a year. Read the whole thread before
making not-up-to-speed comments, please!
Hope this helps! :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 11, 8:22?pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:

> The Safeway here and also some other stores now
> have one of those annoying devices that spits your
> change out down at the end of the counter. People
> who are in a hurry tend to forget to take their change.
> Or sometimes maybe they just can't be bothered. It is
> annoying to have to take bills in change and then walk
> down there and get the rest of the change.

I like those things for Safeway level retail. I wouldn't expect
to find them at Neiman Marcus. I have no problem remembering my
change. I wouldn't call 1 to 2 steps a
"walk".

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"KevinS" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> On Sep 11, 8:22?pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
>
>> The Safeway here and also some other stores now
>> have one of those annoying devices that spits your
>> change out down at the end of the counter. People
>> who are in a hurry tend to forget to take their change.
>> Or sometimes maybe they just can't be bothered. It is
>> annoying to have to take bills in change and then walk
>> down there and get the rest of the change.

> I like those things for Safeway level retail. I wouldn't expect
> to find them at Neiman Marcus. I have no problem remembering my
> change. I wouldn't call 1 to 2 steps a
> "walk".

You must not have kids who tag along.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>
>>> Such thievery! Only 50 cents in coin when they *actually* owe you 50
>>> cents! Bastages!
>>>

>> hahaha

> The Safeway here and also some other stores now have one of those annoying
> devices that spits your change out down at the end of the counter. People
> who are in a hurry tend to forget to take their change. Or sometimes maybe
> they just can't be bothered. It is annoying to have to take bills in change
> and then walk down there and get the rest of the change. I'd say at least
> every third time I shop there, I find someone's change left behind.

As a guy with a pocket for his change and a wallet for his bills, I
*way* prefer those to the cashier that puts a pile of change on top of your
bills and hands you that.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project:
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 22:00:55 -0700, KevinS > wrote:

>On Sep 11, 8:22?pm, "Julie Bove" wrote:
>
>> The Safeway here and also some other stores now
>> have one of those annoying devices that spits your
>> change out down at the end of the counter. People
>> who are in a hurry tend to forget to take their change.
>> Or sometimes maybe they just can't be bothered. It is
>> annoying to have to take bills in change and then walk
>> down there and get the rest of the change.

>I like those things for Safeway level retail. I wouldn't expect
>to find them at Neiman Marcus. I have no problem remembering my
>change. I wouldn't call 1 to 2 steps a
>"walk".

Agreed, except there is *no* walk involved unless the customer is the
type that hogs the entire length of the isle. You stand at that
little check writing counter thingie and extend your right arm to grab
the change from the machine. What's so hard about that?
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:18:48 -0700, Mark Thorson >
wrote:

>sf wrote:
>>
>> Boy, it doesn't take much to make you mad. How does it feel
>> going through life with a permanent scowl?

>Mad? Not had your coffee, yet?
>
>I buy my groceries from people who are happy
>or at least satisfied with their jobs!
>I stopped buying at Safeway months ago -- about
>half a year. Read the whole thread before
>making not-up-to-speed comments, please!
>Hope this helps! :-)

It was a thread filled with petty complaints - just like yours. So,
how do you like walking around under that black cloud?

--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote in :

> On Tue, 11 Sep 2007 21:18:48 -0700, Mark Thorson >
> wrote:
>
>>sf wrote:
>>>
>>> Boy, it doesn't take much to make you mad. How does it feel
>>> going through life with a permanent scowl?

>>Mad? Not had your coffee, yet?
>>
>>I buy my groceries from people who are happy
>>or at least satisfied with their jobs!
>>I stopped buying at Safeway months ago -- about
>>half a year. Read the whole thread before
>>making not-up-to-speed comments, please!
>>Hope this helps! :-)

> It was a thread filled with petty complaints - just like yours. So,
> how do you like walking around under that black cloud?

I too avoid Safeway, I don't like their stores I prefer their
competitor's store. I go to safeway only for things I must have if there
is no other choice...so I go there about twice a year...It isn't a set
thing I dislike... it is more that I just don't like their store or store
policies. I dislike the way the set up their food aisles....Was given a
lengthy lecture by a store employee on how like things were
grouped...canned veggies in one place...but mushrooms and canned tomatoes
are in the pasta Aisle not the canned veggie Aisle...that way of thinking
messes with my head. And the needing of a card to get a deal on stuff
messes with my privacy. Their only carrying their brand and one other of
stuff ....well mostly they don't carry my preferred brand. And there
produce section is more or less skimpy in stuff like chiles and chinese
stuff not even carrying diakon. Usually I'm a happy cloud free guy...but
safeway pushes the wrong buttons with me so I don't shop there...I only
go there to get clam juice as it is the only close store that carries it
and I do make clam chowder 2 or 3 times a year. Other than that I have no
need of Safeway.

--

The house of the burning beet-Alan

Elbonian Folklore

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote

> I too avoid Safeway, I don't like their stores I prefer their
> competitor's store. I go to safeway only for things I must have if there
> is no other choice...so I go there about twice a year...It isn't a set
> thing I dislike... it is more that I just don't like their store or store
> policies. I dislike the way the set up their food aisles....Was given a
> lengthy lecture by a store employee on how like things were
> grouped...canned veggies in one place...but mushrooms and canned tomatoes
> are in the pasta Aisle not the canned veggie Aisle...that way of thinking
> messes with my head.

I understand the tomatoes being segregated from the other
vegetables, otherwise their would be a huge gap in the alphabetic
sequence. Same with canned beans. However, I wish they'd then
put the canned tomatoes by the spaghetti sauce. They have done that
in recent years where I shop.

> And the needing of a card to get a deal on stuff
> messes with my privacy. Their only carrying their brand and one other of
> stuff ....well mostly they don't carry my preferred brand.

Now, that would have me shopping somewhere else, too. I like
the brand I like ... and I like the consistency of quality most brands
tend to strive for. I've seen stores like that ... every other item on the
shelf is the store brand. No, thank you.

> And there
> produce section is more or less skimpy in stuff like chiles and chinese
> stuff not even carrying diakon.

*No* supermarket near me excels in that regard. Some are
better than others.

> Usually I'm a happy cloud free guy...but
> safeway pushes the wrong buttons with me so I don't shop there...I only
> go there to get clam juice as it is the only close store that carries it
> and I do make clam chowder 2 or 3 times a year. Other than that I have no
> need of Safeway.

I feel that way about a store near me. I almost never go there because
just about everything about the place annoys me. For one thing they
play games with their specials, oh you want that price? Not only do
you need a store card and a coupon, you have to spend $whatever
or buy something else with it. Annoys me.

Also, they have their shelves going in 2 different directions. The ones
in back are perpendicular to the rest. I really can't stand that.

Having said that, I'm going there today ... I see they have a coupon
for Mallomars, 99 cents! Those suckers cost a fortune ... all I have to
do is spend $10 on other items. I think I can manage.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sep 12, 11:58 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

> Also, they have their shelves going in 2 different directions. The ones
> in back are perpendicular to the rest. I really can't stand that.
>
> nancy

I hate this too! I have a few options where I live - but one store
chain (Shaws/Star) in particular does this and it drives me batty! I
like my shopping to be simple...up and down the aisles nd out. I
never shop there - but the DH will stop there on occasion if there is
a sale item he wants.

-Tracy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young said...

> I like
> the brand I like ... and I like the consistency of quality most brands
> tend to strive for. I've seen stores like that ... every other item on

the
> shelf is the store brand. No, thank you.

The other thing that happens is you buy your favorite brand of tuna and
then after checking out you get a coupon for the competition's brand.

I got a coupon once for buy one get one free "Viva" paper towels. Fine
print on the coupon said Coupon value: $1.79. The "free" roll was store
priced at $2.05. So I had to kick in an extra 26¢. I forget the actual
prices but something along those lines. The sneaky BUMS!!!

I'll never buy ACME or generic store brands, even IF they're made by
reputable companies.

I'm still a BUM!!! when it comes to clipping coupons but I never forgot
some TV advice from a couponaholic, "For the greatest savings, always buy
the smallest size of that item allowed."

As far as the card, I filled out one for Giant and signed it Andy Bum, 123
Anystreet, Anytown, PA. She gave me a card and a key-swipe version and
walked away saying, just leave it on the counter. I didn't even have to do
that because I used the card before any computer record was generated. She
just drew from a stack of pre-registered ones. I'm probably just a number
on the system.

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Blinky the Shark wrote:
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> hahaha

>> The Safeway here and also some other stores now have one of those
>> annoying devices that spits your change out down at the end of the
>> counter. People who are in a hurry tend to forget to take their
>> change. Or sometimes maybe they just can't be bothered. It is
>> annoying to have to take bills in change and then walk down there
>> and get the rest of the change. I'd say at least every third time I
>> shop there, I find someone's change left behind.

> As a guy with a pocket for his change and a wallet for his bills, I
> *way* prefer those to the cashier that puts a pile of change on top
> of your bills and hands you that.

But you get your change either way. Just reach over and grab it. Sadly, I
think those automatic coin change things (which I remember as a novelty when
I was a kid in the early 1960's, then they disappeared) are becoming common
again because the "kid" cashiers can't count. (sigh)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Tracy" > wrote

> On Sep 12, 11:58 am, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
>>
>> Also, they have their shelves going in 2 different directions. The ones
>> in back are perpendicular to the rest. I really can't stand that.

> I hate this too! I have a few options where I live - but one store
> chain (Shaws/Star) in particular does this and it drives me batty!

Ugh. Nothing like being in a maze, then you have to go over how
ever many aisles because you forgot something on the other side
of this shelf? Hate it.

They are (still) in the process of rearranging the store where I do
most of my shopping ... had a little 'scare' for a bit because they put
one long shelf across the back, across from the meat coolers. If that
wasn't bad enough, they put toothbrushes/etc there. Please, do NOT
tell me it's going to stay like this. Luckily, it's gone. Thank you.

> I like my shopping to be simple...up and down the aisles nd out. I
> never shop there - but the DH will stop there on occasion if there is
> a sale item he wants.

Pretty much the same routine here.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Sep 2007 00:23:08 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
wrote:

>Mark Thorson wrote:
>> Tabbi wrote:
>>>
>>> Essentially, I'm keen to get 'supermakret rage' stories of whatever
>>> degree.

>> The final straw that got me to stop shopping at Safeway was when they
>> reprogrammed their computers to rip off the consumer making change.
>> It used to be if you had $0.80 change coming, you'd get three quarters
>> and a nickel. Now you get two quarters and three dimes, or worse.
>> Even if you have $0.50 coming, you won't get two quarters. You'll get
>> one quarter, two dimes, and a nickel.

>Such thievery! Only 50 cents in coin when they *actually* owe you 50
>cents! Bastages!

it's a ****ing outrage! safeway will deserve it if he begins to
shoplift in retaliation.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 12 Sep 2007 06:51:46 -0700, sf wrote:

>You stand at that
>little check writing counter thingie and extend your right arm to grab
>the change from the machine. What's so hard about that?

What if you're left handed? ::confused look on my face::

--
Zilbandy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:

> It was a thread filled with petty complaints - just like yours. So,
> how do you like walking around under that black cloud?

I'm feeling just great, myself.
You've got a lot of ego invested
in insinuating otherwise.

If that's the only thing that makes you happy,
go for it! You need it more than I do.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:
> On 12 Sep 2007 00:23:08 GMT, Blinky the Shark >
> wrote:
>
>>Mark Thorson wrote:

>>> The final straw that got me to stop shopping at Safeway was when
>>> they reprogrammed their computers to rip off the consumer making
>>> change. It used to be if you had $0.80 change coming, you'd get
>>> three quarters and a nickel. Now you get two quarters and three
>>> dimes, or worse. Even if you have $0.50 coming, you won't get two
>>> quarters. You'll get one quarter, two dimes, and a nickel.

>>Such thievery! Only 50 cents in coin when they *actually* owe you 50
>>cents! Bastages!

> it's a ****ing outrage! safeway will deserve it if he begins to
> shoplift in retaliation.

They have policies about shrinkage and it's accounted for in their
financial overview. Better would be for him to sneak food *into* the
store and put it on the shelves; there are no procedures to account for
expandage.

--
Blinky RLU 297263
Killing all posts from Google Groups
The Usenet Improvement Project:

My supermarket experiences in the US Giusi General Cooking 157 02-04-2011 01:24 AM
Santa Fe Experiences Ed Rasimus Wine 9 20-06-2004 06:46 PM
New experiences with Nutella Dennis Spexet General Cooking 42 17-04-2004 12:27 AM
"SuperMarket Me" - A documentary on my health problems from eating supermarket food mrbog General Cooking 45 20-02-2004 11:06 PM
Vendor Experiences Mike Petro Tea 21 13-02-2004 07:11 PM