Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Rex Goliath revisited

A couple of years ago we had a discussion on
Rex Goliath (47lb. Rooster) wines. At that time,
the Pinot Noir was selling for $5-$7, and we had
a very positive response from folks in this NG.
I bought a couple of cases and enjoyed it. Alas,
it's all gone now, but a local liquor chain
(MGM in Minnesota) now has Rex on sale.
Cab, Chard, Merlot, Pinot Grigio and Shiraz are
all on sale for $5.99 -BUT- the PN is on sale
for $9.49! Did the wine maker infiltrate our group
and decide the PN was very popular? Regardless,
I'm going to purchase a bottle of RG PN for $9.49
and see if it's as good as the $6 stuff.

Dick R.
Posted to alt.food.wine

yes. I have been drinking it for a couple years now. The Pinot Noir
vintage ran out early, and this one on the market now is a non-vintage
at ~$9. The other RG's are much less in price. They know they have a
winner from sales! I've heard rumor they sold the recipe to another
winery, but not sure where the source was on that.

The non-vintage is just as good IMHO (I had an old vintage bottle and
did side by side tasting), so I continue to keep a case around. BJ's had
it on sale a couple months ago for $6.99, must have mis-priced it. smile.

I am anxious to hear your opinion,
DAve

Dick R. wrote:
> A couple of years ago we had a discussion on
> Rex Goliath (47lb. Rooster) wines. At that time,
> the Pinot Noir was selling for $5-$7, and we had
> a very positive response from folks in this NG.
> I bought a couple of cases and enjoyed it. Alas,
> it's all gone now, but a local liquor chain
> (MGM in Minnesota) now has Rex on sale.
> Cab, Chard, Merlot, Pinot Grigio and Shiraz are
> all on sale for $5.99 -BUT- the PN is on sale
> for $9.49! Did the wine maker infiltrate our group
> and decide the PN was very popular? Regardless,
> I'm going to purchase a bottle of RG PN for $9.49
> and see if it's as good as the $6 stuff.
>
> Dick R.

Posted to alt.food.wine

I've always thought that the Cabernet was 10 times the wine when compared to
the Pinot Noir. The price increase isn't affecting me

"Dave Allison" > wrote in message
. ..
> yes. I have been drinking it for a couple years now. The Pinot Noir
> vintage ran out early, and this one on the market now is a non-vintage at
> ~$9. The other RG's are much less in price. They know they have a winner
> from sales! I've heard rumor they sold the recipe to another winery, but
> not sure where the source was on that.
>
> The non-vintage is just as good IMHO (I had an old vintage bottle and did
> side by side tasting), so I continue to keep a case around. BJ's had it on
> sale a couple months ago for $6.99, must have mis-priced it. smile.
>
> I am anxious to hear your opinion,
> DAve
>

> Dick R. wrote:
>> A couple of years ago we had a discussion on
>> Rex Goliath (47lb. Rooster) wines. At that time,
>> the Pinot Noir was selling for $5-$7, and we had
>> a very positive response from folks in this NG.
>> I bought a couple of cases and enjoyed it. Alas,
>> it's all gone now, but a local liquor chain
>> (MGM in Minnesota) now has Rex on sale.
>> Cab, Chard, Merlot, Pinot Grigio and Shiraz are
>> all on sale for $5.99 -BUT- the PN is on sale
>> for $9.49! Did the wine maker infiltrate our group
>> and decide the PN was very popular? Regardless,
>> I'm going to purchase a bottle of RG PN for $9.49
>> and see if it's as good as the $6 stuff.
>>
>> Dick R.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Sean E. Slindee wrote:
> I've always thought that the Cabernet was 10 times the wine when compared to
> the Pinot Noir. The price increase isn't affecting me

<snip>
Hi Sean,
I think the same opinion was expressed by some folks in the original
discussion. Since the cab is a good value, I'll purchase a few bottles,
but I'll get 1 bottle of the PN for "old time sake". :-)

Dick R.

Rex Goliath 47lb Rooster - revisited Dickr Wine 4 02-05-2011 07:56 PM
Rex Goliath PN - Hey Ed Dick R. Wine 5 21-03-2008 09:12 PM
TN: Another paean to HRM Rex Goliath PN Mark Lipton Wine 17 01-07-2004 10:56 PM
Rex Goliath - Merlot - Ed? Dick R. Wine 2 18-11-2003 12:41 AM
Rex Goliath in SoCal D. Gerasimatos Wine 0 27-10-2003 07:21 PM