Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Rex Goliath PN - Hey Ed

Of course you remember several years ago when RG PN was the
"talk of the town", and many of us purchased and consumed
vast quantities at $5-6 per bottle. The price went up and
I didn't purchase any more. Just purchased a few bottles
in South Carolina for $7.99 and discovered it is a product
of France, bottled in California. My memory fades, but
wasn't the original RG PN produced in California? Or not.
Dick R.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dick R. wrote:
> Of course you remember several years ago when RG PN was the
> "talk of the town", and many of us purchased and consumed
> vast quantities at $5-6 per bottle. The price went up and
> I didn't purchase any more. Just purchased a few bottles
> in South Carolina for $7.99 and discovered it is a product
> of France, bottled in California. My memory fades, but
> wasn't the original RG PN produced in California? Or not.
> Dick R.

Dick,
It was indeed originally from CA, produced by Hahn in Monterey
County. However, years ago they were sold to Constellation (the mammoth
corporation that owns many of the more familiar winery names) and are
now a clearinghouse for wines purchased in other countries. This
practice is not as bad as it might sound, being a time-honored tradition
in much of Europe (though more localized than the global scope of RG).
Dale and I had a discussion of this in a thread I started about
Pepperwood Grove, which is a similar operation run by the Sebastiani boys.

Mark Lipton
Posted to alt.food.wine

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008 19:13:30 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Dick R. wrote:
>> Of course you remember several years ago when RG PN was the
>> "talk of the town", and many of us purchased and consumed
>> vast quantities at $5-6 per bottle. The price went up and
>> I didn't purchase any more. Just purchased a few bottles
>> in South Carolina for $7.99 and discovered it is a product
>> of France, bottled in California. My memory fades, but
>> wasn't the original RG PN produced in California? Or not.
>> Dick R.

>Dick,
> It was indeed originally from CA, produced by Hahn in Monterey
>County. However, years ago they were sold to Constellation (the mammoth
>corporation that owns many of the more familiar winery names) and are
>now a clearinghouse for wines purchased in other countries. This
>practice is not as bad as it might sound, being a time-honored tradition
>in much of Europe (though more localized than the global scope of RG).
>Dale and I had a discussion of this in a thread I started about
>Pepperwood Grove, which is a similar operation run by the Sebastiani boys.
>
>Mark Lipton

That's pretty much the way I recall it. The "Rooster" name was a play
on the parent winery "Hahn" which AFAIK is chicken in German.

Had a couple of bottles of the PN about six months ago and found it
drinkable. Local grocery had it stocked at $11 and when it didn't sell
they put it on a clearance table at $6 so I gave it a try.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
www.thunderchief.org
www.thundertales.blogspot.com
Posted to alt.food.wine

Ed Rasimus > wrote:

> That's pretty much the way I recall it. The "Rooster" name was a play
> on the parent winery "Hahn" which AFAIK is chicken in German.

Close - Hahn is rooster; Huhn is generic chicken and Henne is hen.
--
There's a fine line between stupid and clever.
Posted to alt.food.wine

Dave wrote on Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:13:40 +0100:

??>> That's pretty much the way I recall it. The "Rooster" name
??>> was a play on the parent winery "Hahn" which AFAIK is
??>> chicken in German.

You could have some fun with names like that, not just South
Africa puns like "Goats May Roam". There isn't a German wine
called Hummer is there (lobster, not gas hog!)?

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to alt.food.wine

James wrote to Dave Devine on Fri, 21 Mar 2008 21:10:57 GMT:

??>>> That's pretty much the way I recall it. The "Rooster"
??>>> name was a play on the parent winery "Hahn" which AFAIK
??>>> is chicken in German.

JS> You could have some fun with names like that, not just
JS> South Africa puns like "Goats May Roam". There isn't a
JS> German wine called Hummer is there (lobster, not gas hog!)?

Before someone else jumps on me : "Goats Do Roam"!

Rex Goliath Shiraz jebblue Wine 4 20-11-2011 02:57 AM
Rex Goliath revisited Dick R. Wine 3 29-09-2006 07:47 PM
TN: Another paean to HRM Rex Goliath PN Mark Lipton Wine 17 01-07-2004 10:56 PM
Rex Goliath - Merlot - Ed? Dick R. Wine 2 18-11-2003 12:41 AM
Rex Goliath in SoCal D. Gerasimatos Wine 0 27-10-2003 07:21 PM