Mark Lipton

Default TN: Another paean to HRM Rex Goliath PN

Last night, Jean and I stopped by a local upscale convenience store to
pick up a few items for dinner, and ran across a bottle of the 2001 HRM
Rex Goliath Pinot Noir, overpriced at $9.99. After all the buzz it's
received in this forum, we felt compelled to give it a try.

color: ruby red, surprisingly dark
nose: initially, a big whack of smoky cherry; after pouring into the
glass, the nose subsided a bit (and is there a trace of cork taint?
blast and damn!) but remained clearly varietal
palate: silky, medium body, good cherryish fruit with some smoke and
minerals, ripe but not overripe with enough acid to make it pleasant
with food. Although I had expected an oakier wine, any oakiness it had
showed only as the roundness of the wine (has it integrated since
earlier this year? dunno)

Overall, a surprisingly good PN. It had clear varietal character and
surprising substance and could easily be mistaken for a CA PN selling
for twice the price. Possibly the best CA Pinot I've had for <$10 since
the halcyon days of Napa Ridge in the early '90s.

Mark Lipton
Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:05:05 -0500, Mark Lipton >
wrote:

>Last night, Jean and I stopped by a local upscale convenience store to
>pick up a few items for dinner, and ran across a bottle of the 2001 HRM
>Rex Goliath Pinot Noir, overpriced at $9.99. After all the buzz it's
>received in this forum, we felt compelled to give it a try.
>
>color: ruby red, surprisingly dark
>nose: initially, a big whack of smoky cherry; after pouring into the
>glass, the nose subsided a bit (and is there a trace of cork taint?
>blast and damn!) but remained clearly varietal
>palate: silky, medium body, good cherryish fruit with some smoke and
>minerals, ripe but not overripe with enough acid to make it pleasant
>with food. Although I had expected an oakier wine, any oakiness it had
>showed only as the roundness of the wine (has it integrated since
>earlier this year? dunno)
>
>Overall, a surprisingly good PN. It had clear varietal character and
>surprising substance and could easily be mistaken for a CA PN selling
>for twice the price. Possibly the best CA Pinot I've had for <$10 since
>the halcyon days of Napa Ridge in the early '90s.
>
>Mark Lipton

Whatever you do, don't try the Merlot, CS and Chard. You've been
warned.

But, find a joint that doesn't gouge for the whole sawbuck.

I pulled a cork on a Rooster about two weeks ago when SWMBO wanted
another glass after dinner. We'd had a Jezebel Williamette Valley '02
PN with our meal. We pronounced the big bird as better wine at less
than a third of the price.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Dick R.

Mark Lipton wrote:
> Last night, Jean and I stopped by a local upscale convenience store to
> pick up a few items for dinner, and ran across a bottle of the 2001 HRM
> Rex Goliath Pinot Noir, overpriced at $9.99. After all the buzz it's
> received in this forum, we felt compelled to give it a try.
>
> color: ruby red, surprisingly dark
> nose: initially, a big whack of smoky cherry; after pouring into the
> glass, the nose subsided a bit (and is there a trace of cork taint?
> blast and damn!) but remained clearly varietal
> palate: silky, medium body, good cherryish fruit with some smoke and
> minerals, ripe but not overripe with enough acid to make it pleasant
> with food. Although I had expected an oakier wine, any oakiness it had
> showed only as the roundness of the wine (has it integrated since
> earlier this year? dunno)
>
> Overall, a surprisingly good PN. It had clear varietal character and
> surprising substance and could easily be mistaken for a CA PN selling
> for twice the price. Possibly the best CA Pinot I've had for <$10 since
> the halcyon days of Napa Ridge in the early '90s.
>
> Mark Lipton

Hi Mark,
$9.99 - ouch. It's a regular on my shopping list, and I usually find it for
$6-7. Good to hear another positive opinion (haven't heard any negatives yet).

Cheers,
Dick

Dick R.

Ed Rasimus wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:05:05 -0500, Mark Lipton >
> wrote:

<snip>
> I pulled a cork on a Rooster about two weeks ago when SWMBO wanted
> another glass after dinner. We'd had a Jezebel Williamette Valley '02
> PN with our meal. We pronounced the big bird as better wine at less
> than a third of the price.

Hi Ed,
As I recall, you found the RGPN at a ridiculously low price of $4-5
per bottle, and you purchased many cases/truckloads? I assume you still
have a "few" bottles left. I only have 1 bottle (sniff) left in my cellar,
but I keep looking for more bottles at a price I'm used to - $6-7.
Regardless, it's very good stuff!

Cheers,
Dick

Ed Rasimus

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:11:56 -0500, "Dick R." > wrote:

>Ed Rasimus wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 11:05:05 -0500, Mark Lipton >
>> wrote:

><snip>
>> I pulled a cork on a Rooster about two weeks ago when SWMBO wanted
>> another glass after dinner. We'd had a Jezebel Williamette Valley '02
>> PN with our meal. We pronounced the big bird as better wine at less
>> than a third of the price.

>Hi Ed,
>As I recall, you found the RGPN at a ridiculously low price of $4-5
>per bottle, and you purchased many cases/truckloads? I assume you still
>have a "few" bottles left. I only have 1 bottle (sniff) left in my cellar,
>but I keep looking for more bottles at a price I'm used to - $6-7.
>Regardless, it's very good stuff!
>
>Cheers,
>Dick

That's pretty close to right about the truckloads. First found it at
$5.99 then they put it on sale at $4.99. I think that purchase
totalled four cases. Back up to $5.99 but still good for a couple
more. Recently saw they had tweaked it up to $6.49. Watching now for
another sale. Might have to wait for the next vintage.

I've actually come to like the Merlot a bit better than the PN. And,
although I don't drink a lot of whites, the Chard is pretty
respectable in a heavy Australian kind of style.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8

Larry

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:11:56 -0500, "Dick R." > wrote:

Hi Dick,

I'm going down Fort Erie way in a few weeks. I think I'll do some
cross border shopping. What stores in the States have this gem?

TIA

Larry
Southern Ontario

Dick R.

Larry wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 14:11:56 -0500, "Dick R." > wrote:

> I'm going down Fort Erie way in a few weeks. I think I'll do some
> cross border shopping. What stores in the States have this gem?

Hi Larry,
Long time, no communicado. Hope you're doing well.
Since I live in Minnesota, I don't know if I can offer any meaningful
suggestions. We have privately owned and municipal (city owned) liquor
stores. Can't think of any national outlets that might be located
throughout the states. However, if you do locate some RGPN, purchase
as much as your car/truck/semi can carry! It's good!

Cheers,
Dick (you know where I live)

JD

Default Another paean to HRM Rex Goliath PN

"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
> Last night, Jean and I stopped by a local upscale convenience store to
> pick up a few items for dinner, and ran across a bottle of the 2001 HRM
> Rex Goliath Pinot Noir, overpriced at $9.99. After all the buzz it's
> received in this forum, we felt compelled to give it a try.
>
> color: ruby red, surprisingly dark
> nose: initially, a big whack of smoky cherry; after pouring into the
> glass, the nose subsided a bit (and is there a trace of cork taint?
> blast and damn!) but remained clearly varietal
> palate: silky, medium body, good cherryish fruit with some smoke and
> minerals, ripe but not overripe with enough acid to make it pleasant
> with food. Although I had expected an oakier wine, any oakiness it had
> showed only as the roundness of the wine (has it integrated since
> earlier this year? dunno)
>
> Overall, a surprisingly good PN. It had clear varietal character and
> surprising substance and could easily be mistaken for a CA PN selling
> for twice the price. Possibly the best CA Pinot I've had for <$10 since
> the halcyon days of Napa Ridge in the early '90s.
>
> Mark Lipton

We've been buying this at the local Cost Plus for $5.99 (USD) -- It's really
a great wine to have at 9:00PM after a tennis evening. Grill up some chicken
breast with some wild rice and pop open a rooster. Sure kicks the stuffing
out of any other $6 PN I've had. We've also bought some at Whole Foods
(which has a national presence also...)

Mike

Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 04:49:49 GMT, "JD"
> wrote:

>"Mark Lipton" > wrote in message
>> Last night, Jean and I stopped by a local upscale convenience store to
>> pick up a few items for dinner, and ran across a bottle of the 2001 HRM
>> Rex Goliath Pinot Noir, overpriced at $9.99. After all the buzz it's
>> received in this forum, we felt compelled to give it a try.
>>
>> color: ruby red, surprisingly dark
>> nose: initially, a big whack of smoky cherry; after pouring into the
>> glass, the nose subsided a bit (and is there a trace of cork taint?
>> blast and damn!) but remained clearly varietal
>> palate: silky, medium body, good cherryish fruit with some smoke and
>> minerals, ripe but not overripe with enough acid to make it pleasant
>> with food. Although I had expected an oakier wine, any oakiness it had
>> showed only as the roundness of the wine (has it integrated since
>> earlier this year? dunno)
>>
>> Overall, a surprisingly good PN. It had clear varietal character and
>> surprising substance and could easily be mistaken for a CA PN selling
>> for twice the price. Possibly the best CA Pinot I've had for <$10 since
>> the halcyon days of Napa Ridge in the early '90s.
>>
>> Mark Lipton

>We've been buying this at the local Cost Plus for $5.99 (USD) -- It's really
>a great wine to have at 9:00PM after a tennis evening. Grill up some chicken
>breast with some wild rice and pop open a rooster. Sure kicks the stuffing
>out of any other $6 PN I've had. We've also bought some at Whole Foods
>(which has a national presence also...)
>
>Mike

Local Colorado Springs emporium had it in this week's sale notice in
the morning fish-wrapper for $4.99 again---I see a case each of PN, CS
and Merlot this afternoon.

We just go Whole Foods in COS about three months ago--has become a
favorite grazing place. Great fish, incredible meats (and sausages),
huge array of quality cheeses and generally upscale veggies. But,
alas, no liquor at this outlet.

Will search Whole Foods today or tomorrow for Dale's nectocotums.
Might even find some "pluots".

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Dick R.

Ed Rasimus wrote:
<snip>
> Local Colorado Springs emporium had it in this week's sale notice in
> the morning fish-wrapper for $4.99 again---I see a case each of PN, CS
> and Merlot this afternoon.

Hi Ed,
I've never seen any RGs for less than $6 in Minnesota. I've been to Colorado
several times, but my wife has never been there. I keep telling her that
"one of these days" we're going to pack up and drive out there to see the
sights. As I recall, we're only 900 miles or so from you. Maybe before we
leave, I can contact you and find out what outlet has the best prices.
We'll be driving a large vehicle! :-)

Dick

Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:12:46 -0500, "Dick R." > wrote:

>Ed Rasimus wrote:
><snip>
>> Local Colorado Springs emporium had it in this week's sale notice in
>> the morning fish-wrapper for $4.99 again---I see a case each of PN, CS
>> and Merlot this afternoon.

>Hi Ed,
>I've never seen any RGs for less than $6 in Minnesota. I've been to Colorado
>several times, but my wife has never been there. I keep telling her that
>"one of these days" we're going to pack up and drive out there to see the
>sights. As I recall, we're only 900 miles or so from you. Maybe before we
>leave, I can contact you and find out what outlet has the best prices.
>We'll be driving a large vehicle! :-)
>
>Dick

Here's the place that I get RG. They have an excellent selection of
wines and run a weekly sale that highlights various categories.
http://www.spiritsusa.com/pages/page...&skiplogin=yes

This joint is bigger, but doesn't run the sales. They now have two
outlets in town--one of which is purportedly the largest liquor outlet
in the state. They have some excellent high-end wines in their
boutique section. (I couple of years ago I snagged two bottles of
Ridge Monte Bello '96 at $65/ea.

Denver really has some grand wine superstores. Among the biggest are
Argonaut (just a block away from the capital), Applejack on the
freeway toward Boulder, and Countyline (obviously on the county line
road). Check the most recent Denver Post for their regular ads before
you visit.

Besides the large vehicle, you'll need the large checkbook/creditcard
as well.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Bill

Ed Rasimus wrote:
> Here's the place that I get RG. They have an excellent selection of
> wines and run a weekly sale that highlights various categories.
> http://www.spiritsusa.com/pages/page...&skiplogin=yes

Ed, I couldn't help but look at their selection. I tried
"Shop online" then "Wine" then "California" and then looked
for Zinfandel. This store seems to think all Zinfandel is
white!

Ed Rasimus

On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 15:31:29 GMT, Bill >
wrote:

>Ed Rasimus wrote:
>> Here's the place that I get RG. They have an excellent selection of
>> wines and run a weekly sale that highlights various categories.
>> http://www.spiritsusa.com/pages/page...&skiplogin=yes

>Ed, I couldn't help but look at their selection. I tried
>"Shop online" then "Wine" then "California" and then looked
>for Zinfandel. This store seems to think all Zinfandel is
>white!

Hardly. First, note that the store page isn't run by the store. IOW,
they aren't an Internet marketer. Then notice the disclaimer that they
only deliver within Colorado Springs and they don't deliver sale
items. I doubt that they devote much time to coordinating with the
Webmaster, since they aren't big enough to get into that.

If you're looking for Internet sales, stick with the usual suspects
like Zachy's, Sam's in Chicago, Avalon in OR, Wine.com et. al. They're
organized for that sort of business.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
Smithsonian Institution Press
ISBN #1-58834-103-8
Dick R.

Ed Rasimus wrote:
<snip>
> Here's the place that I get RG. They have an excellent selection of
> wines and run a weekly sale that highlights various categories.
> http://www.spiritsusa.com/pages/page...&skiplogin=yes
>
> This joint is bigger, but doesn't run the sales. They now have two
> outlets in town--one of which is purportedly the largest liquor outlet
> in the state. They have some excellent high-end wines in their
> boutique section. (I couple of years ago I snagged two bottles of
> Ridge Monte Bello '96 at $65/ea.
>
> Denver really has some grand wine superstores. Among the biggest are
> Argonaut (just a block away from the capital), Applejack on the
> freeway toward Boulder, and Countyline (obviously on the county line
> road). Check the most recent Denver Post for their regular ads before
> you visit.
>
> Besides the large vehicle, you'll need the large checkbook/creditcard
> as well.

Thanks Ed!

Hunt

In article >,
says...

>On Thu, 01 Jul 2004 10:12:46 -0500, "Dick R." > wrote:
>
>>Ed Rasimus wrote:
>><snip>
>>> Local Colorado Springs emporium had it in this week's sale notice in
>>> the morning fish-wrapper for $4.99 again---I see a case each of PN, CS
>>> and Merlot this afternoon.

>>Hi Ed,
>>I've never seen any RGs for less than $6 in Minnesota. I've been to Colorado
>>several times, but my wife has never been there. I keep telling her that
>>"one of these days" we're going to pack up and drive out there to see the
>>sights. As I recall, we're only 900 miles or so from you. Maybe before we
>>leave, I can contact you and find out what outlet has the best prices.
>>We'll be driving a large vehicle! :-)
>>
>>Dick

>Here's the place that I get RG. They have an excellent selection of
>wines and run a weekly sale that highlights various categories.

http://www.spiritsusa.com/pages/page...&skiplogin=yes

>This joint is bigger, but doesn't run the sales. They now have two
>outlets in town--one of which is purportedly the largest liquor outlet
>in the state. They have some excellent high-end wines in their
>boutique section. (I couple of years ago I snagged two bottles of
>Ridge Monte Bello '96 at $65/ea.
>
>Denver really has some grand wine superstores. Among the biggest are
>Argonaut (just a block away from the capital), Applejack on the
>freeway toward Boulder, and Countyline (obviously on the county line
>road). Check the most recent Denver Post for their regular ads before
>you visit.
>
>Besides the large vehicle, you'll need the large checkbook/creditcard
>as well.
>

>Ed Rasimus
>Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
>"When Thunder Rolled"
>Smithsonian Institution Press
>ISBN #1-58834-103-8

Ed,

Is Lukus Liquors down Park Meadows way, south of Denver, still in business?
When they started, they claimed that their intent was to be larger and better
than Applejack's. They had a nice store, and fair prices, which were then
never "on sale," but their stock was dispersed and repeated all over the
store, so the appearance of a monster selection was somewhat misleading.

Last trip back up there, I did notice that Applejack's had cut out much of
their high-end wine and their once great Port selection wasn't even a shadow
of its former self. They had expanded, but it appeared that most of the new
retail space was occupied by "jug wines." Countyline was just starting and a
lot of my Denver wino friends really liked it, but I didn't have a chance to
visit.

There was also a new wine shop in the area just south of the Tech Center, on
Orchard Rd, as I recall, with an impressive array. I can't recall its name,
but picked up a few mixed cases, because of their selection.

Argonaut and Applejack's sure conjure up fond memories - thanks!

Hunt

Dale Williams

The RG PN is $5.99 at Varmax in PortChester NY, so about $5 if one is getting a
16% off mixed case. I don't think I'd be as happy at $10.
Dale

Dale Williams
Drop "damnspam" to reply
Hokan

On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:50:39 -0500, Dick R. > wrote:
> $9.99 - ouch. It's a regular on my shopping list, and I usually find it for
> $6-7. Good to hear another positive opinion (haven't heard any negatives yet).

Dick, I haven't found this wine in the Twin Cities. Where do you get it?
Dick R.

Hokan wrote:
> On Wed, 30 Jun 2004 13:50:39 -0500, Dick R. > wrote:
>
>>$9.99 - ouch. It's a regular on my shopping list, and I usually find it for
>>$6-7. Good to hear another positive opinion (haven't heard any negatives yet).

> Dick, I haven't found this wine in the Twin Cities. Where do you get it?

Hi,
Try MGM, St. Anthony Village municipal and Surdyk's for starters. Prices
will range from $5.99 at Surdyk's (on sale) to $6.99 at MGM. I think RG wines
are catching on at other liquor stores, but I haven't checked them out yet.
Some stores carry RG Merlot or RG Cab, but not the PN. If your local doesn't
have it, ask them to order some, and see if you can haggle over a case price.
You might also try World Market - I think they carry it.

Good luck shopping,
Dick

Rex Goliath Shiraz jebblue Wine 4 20-11-2011 02:57 AM
Rex Goliath PN - Hey Ed Dick R. Wine 5 21-03-2008 09:12 PM
Rex Goliath revisited Dick R. Wine 3 29-09-2006 07:47 PM
Rex Goliath - Merlot - Ed? Dick R. Wine 2 18-11-2003 12:41 AM
Rex Goliath in SoCal D. Gerasimatos Wine 0 27-10-2003 07:21 PM