Default Xanthan gum and cake

Hi. I recently saw some 'Xanthan gum' in a supermarket marked down to a
very cheap price. Having wished to experiment with it for some time, I
bought it.

The first thing I've tried is putting some in vegan cakes. Previously
I've been able to cook chocolate cakes reasonably OK, but white cakes
were very unreliable. And, when I cooked muffins I never really got a
proper 'domed' round top. I noted that the Xanthan gum jar suggested
using a teaspoon of gum for a pound of gluten-free flour or something
like that. I added half a teaspoon of gum to a (standard flour) cake
recipe. The result: every cake I've cooked like this has turned out
properly, even though the recipe is otherwise the same as the
unreliable one. The muffins that I've cooked have been properly risen,
with properly domed tops.

Don't know if this information is of use to anyone else but WTH.
Cheers,

Ross-c