Old 08-12-2007, 04:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default When Baking A Cake, How Can I Stop The Fruit (in a Christmas Cake)From Falling (Sinking) To

When ever I bake Cakes for my Family,they generally turn out pretty
good.However there is one thing which (lately) always seems to
happen.After I have Baked the Cake in the Oven and allowed it to cool
down,when I cut
into it the fruit "Always" seems to have "sunk"!?!?!? to the bottom of
the Cake.I have tried everything I know to prevent this
happening.Although the Cakes turn out very good,and my Family eat them
almost straight away,and they always compliment me on my Baking.This
is "One" thing I would like to solve.I was Head Cook in a Old Peoples
Home before I retired 12 years ago,I have thought about it might be
just me losing my touch,but the more I think about it the more
convinced I am that I must just be forgetting to do some rudimentary
preparation would
be most grateful for some of your suggestions to remedy this
fault.Thank you in anticipation.

I must admit this has sometimes kept me awake at night.I just can not
think of the solution????.

Old 08-12-2007, 04:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 8 Dec 2007 08:08:19 -0800 (PST), "*GED*"
wrote:

[...]

1. How thick is the batter?
2. Did you toss the fruit in flour first?
3. When all else fails, sprinkle the fruit on top of the cake. It
will sink, but not as far and distribute fairly evenly.

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Old 08-12-2007, 09:49 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

*GED* wrote:

When ever I bake Cakes for my Family,they generally turn out pretty
good.However there is one thing which (lately) always seems to
happen.After I have Baked the Cake in the Oven and allowed it to cool
down,when I cut
into it the fruit "Always" seems to have "sunk"!?!?!? to the bottom of
the Cake.I have tried everything I know to prevent this

Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
but before the cake batter has completely lost
its liquid consistency?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:50 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message

Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
but before the cake batter has completely lost
its liquid consistency?

You don't bake, do you?

Old 08-12-2007, 09:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 8, 10:08´┐Żam, "*GED*" wrote:
[...]

Try flouring the fruit, add it at the end just before you put it into
the pans.
Rosie

Old 08-12-2007, 10:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote:

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message

Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
but before the cake batter has completely lost
its liquid consistency?

You don't bake, do you?

The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
the oven.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Mike wrote:

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message

Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
but before the cake batter has completely lost
its liquid consistency?

You don't bake, do you?

The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
the oven.

That's about what I figured.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:31 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,
"*GED*" wrote:

When ever I bake Cakes for my Family,they generally turn out pretty
good.However there is one thing which (lately) always seems to
happen.After I have Baked the Cake in the Oven and allowed it to cool
down,when I cut
into it the fruit "Always" seems to have "sunk"!?!?!? to the bottom of
the Cake.

Coat the pieces of fruit in some of the flour before adding to the cake.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Old 08-12-2007, 10:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"Mike" wrote:

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message

Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
but before the cake batter has completely lost
its liquid consistency?

You don't bake, do you?

He's a known stirrer.

Miche

--
Electricians do it in three phases
Old 08-12-2007, 10:55 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 14:16:21 -0800, Mark Thorson
wrote:

Mike wrote:

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message

Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
but before the cake batter has completely lost
its liquid consistency?

You don't bake, do you?

The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
the oven.

Buy a new oven. It's easier. g

Lou
Old 08-12-2007, 11:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Mike wrote:

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message

Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
but before the cake batter has completely lost
its liquid consistency?

You don't bake, do you?

The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
the oven.

Buy a new oven. It's easier. g

When I move out of here, the new place will have
a new (presumably, clean) oven. At least, that's
the Plan.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:26 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

*GED* wrote:

[...]

I just made my Christmas (light) fruit cake the other day. The recipe I use
makes a very thick batter. The fruit does not budge during the baking.
The batter I use is 2 cups soft butter, 2 cups sugar, 8 eggs, 1 cup sour
cream, 3 Tblsp lemon juice, 2 tsp. lemon rind 5 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp.
baking soda 1 tsp. salt. Then I use 3 cups raisins, 2 cups each green and
red cherries and 2 cups pineapple. I leave out the dates and pecans. I toss
the fruit in the flour mixture before stirring it into the wet ingredients.
It is so think I have to wet a spatula to spread in into the loaf pans.
Old 08-12-2007, 11:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

Mike wrote:

"Mark Thorson" wrote in message

Could you add the fruit after baking has started,
but before the cake batter has completely lost
its liquid consistency?

You don't bake, do you?

The last thing I baked was a pumpkin cheesecake
that overflowed the pan, 27 years ago. I may
resume baking, if I ever get around to cleaning
the oven.

Buy a new oven. It's easier. g

When I move out of here, the new place will have
a new (presumably, clean) oven. At least, that's
the Plan.

We just got a new one. I wiped it down and ran it for a few hours.
It still left an off taste. I had to let it run for a few more hours
to get rid of whatever factory stuff was in it. It's all good now.

Lou
Old 09-12-2007, 12:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 08 Dec 2007 18:26:16 -0500, Dave Smith
wrote:

I just made my Christmas (light) fruit cake the other day. The recipe I use
makes a very thick batter. The fruit does not budge during the baking.
The batter I use is 2 cups soft butter, 2 cups sugar, 8 eggs, 1 cup sour
cream, 3 Tblsp lemon juice, 2 tsp. lemon rind 5 1/2 cups flour and 1/2 tsp.
baking soda 1 tsp. salt. Then I use 3 cups raisins, 2 cups each green and
red cherries and 2 cups pineapple. I leave out the dates and pecans. I toss
the fruit in the flour mixture before stirring it into the wet ingredients.
It is so think I have to wet a spatula to spread in into the loaf pans.

Is that recipe in your computer? If so, would you please post it?