Kate L Pugh

Default Red cabbage ideas?

Kate > wrote:
> Anyone have any tried and tested red cabbage recipes to share?
> Internet hasn't produced much, apart from the usual spiced/sweet and sour
> cabbage/apple affair, which I'm not too keen on.

Shred it and put it in a curry with grated carrot. I normally do this
with white or green cabbage but red should work too.

Chop it and braise it with red wine as a side dish.

Probably good in stirfry too.

Kake
Deepak Saxena

In article >,
Kate > wrote:
>Anyone have any tried and tested red cabbage recipes to share?
>Internet hasn't produced much, apart from the usual spiced/sweet and sour
>cabbage/apple affair, which I'm not too keen on. Any recipes that move away
>from that would be much appreciated.

Shred it along with some fennel and carrots. Pan roast some sliced
almonds. Mix it all togetherw with a popee seed dressing.

~Deepak

--
Deepak Saxena -
Kate L Pugh

Deepak Saxena > wrote:
> Shred it along with some fennel and carrots. Pan roast some sliced
> almonds. Mix it all togetherw with a popee seed dressing.

That sounds good, and colourful too. How do you make your poppy seed
dressing? Whole or ground seeds?

Kake
ShantiP1

I have a cabbage dish that I love that I make with green cabbage but I imagine
it would work as well with red cabbage.
Basically, I sautee equal parts of sliced onion and widely sliced cabbage
pieces (about 3/4-1" wide) in a bit of olive oil for a couple of minutes on low
heat to avoid browning, then add some chunks fresh or canned tomato a little
bit of mirin (Japanese sweet wine), which gives it a wonderful flavor, some
salt or tamari and ground pepper. Cover and cook till cabbage is cooked to
your liking. Add a little water periodically if needed to complete the brasing.
When done, toss in some hot boiled potato chunks and serve with rye bread.
This is one of my favorite dish.

Regards,
June

And Done: Corned beef and Cabbage in the Cabbage Bowl jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 5 18-03-2016 05:12 PM
Bean ideas? Eggplant ideas? serene General Cooking 2 01-04-2006 11:27 PM
Cabbage ideas... C. James Strutz Vegan 3 27-02-2006 01:58 PM
ideas for napa cabbage? kalanamak General Cooking 7 20-01-2006 04:09 AM
Red cabbage ideas? Kate Vegetarian cooking 1 22-01-2004 10:51 PM