Posted to rec.food.cooking
kalanamak

Default ideas for napa cabbage?

I love napa cabbage. However, I only know how to stir fry it. Anyone
else use it in other ways? Oh, and I julienne the green part and add it
to my "spring vegetable soup".
TIA
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
>I love napa cabbage. However, I only know how to stir fry it. Anyone else
>use it in other ways? Oh, and I julienne the green part and add it to my
>"spring vegetable soup".
> TIA

I use this and like it:

1 1/2 pounds carrots, finely shredded
4 cups finely slivered napa cabbage
1/3 cup white wine vinegar
2 tablespoons sugar
1 clove garlic, minced or pressed
1 teaspoon minced fresh ginger
Salt
Refrigerate a few hours before using.

Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
sf

On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:00:34 -0800, kalanamak wrote:

> I love napa cabbage. However, I only know how to stir fry it. Anyone
> else use it in other ways? Oh, and I julienne the green part and add it
> to my "spring vegetable soup".
> TIA

It might work instead of lettuce for Thai lettuce wraps. What about
hoisin chicken salad?
http://www.recipesource.com/fgv/salads/00/rec0091.html

Posted to rec.food.cooking
elaine

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 09 Jan 2006 17:00:34 -0800, kalanamak wrote:
>
>> I love napa cabbage. However, I only know how to stir fry it. Anyone
>> else use it in other ways? Oh, and I julienne the green part and add it
>> to my "spring vegetable soup".
>> TIA

Nappa Salad

Dressing
3/4 cup oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1/4 cup white vinegar
2 TBS soya sauce

1 large head nappa cabbabe
1 pkg. Mr. noodle (no spice)
1 small pkg. of sliced almonds toasted
2 green onions

Delicious..........and always gets rave reviews.

E.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Arri London

kalanamak wrote:

> I love napa cabbage. However, I only know how to stir fry it. Anyone
> else use it in other ways? Oh, and I julienne the green part and add it
> to my "spring vegetable soup".
> TIA

From 'The Food of China'

Cabbage rolls with mustard

1 Napa cabbage
3 tbs English mustard powder
1 tbs light soy sauce
1 tbs clear rice vinegar
1 tsp (roasted) sesame oil

Separate the cabbage leaves and blanch them in boiling water. Refresh in
cold water and dry thoroughly.

Combine mustard powder, soy sauce, rice venegar and sesame oil. Add
enough cold water to make a stiff spreadable paste.

Trim cabbage leaves into long strips about 2 inches wide. Use three
strips for each roll. Lay a bottom strip on the work surface and cover
with a thin layer of mustard, lay another strip on top covered with a
layer of mustard and finish with a final strip and mustard. Roll up.
Repeat with the remaining cabbage to make four rolls. PUt the rolls
standing upright on a flameproof plate in a steamer. Cover and steam for
20 minutes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

kalanamak wrote:
> I love napa cabbage. However, I only know how to stir fry it. Anyone
> else use it in other ways? Oh, and I julienne the green part and add it
> to my "spring vegetable soup".

Oriental slaw.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Tara Banfield

"kalanamak" > wrote in message
> I love napa cabbage. However, I only know how to stir fry it. Anyone
> else use it in other ways? Oh, and I julienne the green part and add it
> to my "spring vegetable soup".
> TIA

Is there such thing as vegetarian cutlets? Could you make a nice deep-fried
(no, an occasional deep-fried thing is emotional HEALTH food), breaded
cutlet? Then, you could plant it on a bed of almost-thread-thin shreds of
Napa and serve it with some tonkatsu sauce. Mmmmmmmmm.

Makes darn fine summer kimchee too.
Tara

Posted to rec.food.cooking
OmManiPadmeOmelet

In article >,
"Tara Banfield" > wrote:

> "kalanamak" > wrote in message
> > I love napa cabbage. However, I only know how to stir fry it. Anyone
> > else use it in other ways? Oh, and I julienne the green part and add it
> > to my "spring vegetable soup".
> > TIA

> Is there such thing as vegetarian cutlets? Could you make a nice deep-fried
> (no, an occasional deep-fried thing is emotional HEALTH food), breaded
> cutlet? Then, you could plant it on a bed of almost-thread-thin shreds of
> Napa and serve it with some tonkatsu sauce. Mmmmmmmmm.
>
> Makes darn fine summer kimchee too.
> Tara

I prefer Napa cabbage for stuffed cabbage. :-)

IMHO it has a better flavor than the regular round heads.
--
Om.