Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Default Need Appetizer! Please Help? :)

I am going to a party and need to make a vegan appetizer platter.
Something that can be put on a plate maybe on crackers or something...
and has good flavor. There will be about 40 people at the party. Any
help is appreciated! Thank you!
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

Tawse4Me > wrote:
> I am going to a party and need to make a vegan appetizer platter.
> Something that can be put on a plate maybe on crackers or something...
> and has good flavor. There will be about 40 people at the party. Any
> help is appreciated! Thank you!

Mmm, appetizers! I love appetizers.

Sausage-courgette rollups are always popular:
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/re...e-rollups.html
(veggie sausagemeat, of course - use what you can get; I use Sosmix,
but you might not be able to get that where you are)

Water chestnuts marinaded in equal quantities of soy sauce and mirin,
then drained, baked in the oven until browned, and put on cocktail sticks.

Cubed potatoes tossed with olive oil and spices, then roasted and put
on sticks.

Veggie sushi rolls are good - don't make them too thick though. Cucumber,
avocado, and braised mushrooms are all good fillings. There's a good sushi
tutorial he
http://www.carmelizedinblue.com/pics/sushi101.php

Things on crackers: I have lots of pate recipes he
http://www.earth.li/~kake/cookery/pates.html

Kake
Posted to rec.food.veg.cooking

On 2007-02-23, Tawse4Me > wrote:

> I am going to a party and need to make a vegan appetizer platter.
> Something that can be put on a plate maybe on crackers or something...
> and has good flavor. There will be about 40 people at the party. Any
> help is appreciated! Thank you!

Some sort of lentil / walnut pate would be great with bread or crackers.
A quick web search turned up a number of recipes for me.

I'm a big fan of olive tapenade... this one is always a hit for me...
use good quality olives (I usually use a mix of kalamata and either
nicoise or black oil cured)

Olive Tapenade

4 oz pitted black olives drained
4 oz. oil-cured greek olives pitted and drained
1/3 cup capers, drained
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp dried thyme
1 tbsp dijon mustard
fresh lemon juice
freshly ground black pepper to taste
3 tbsp minced fresh parsley
1 baguette, diagonally sliced, with garlic, toasted

puree olives in blender. Add capers, garlic, thyme, and mustard. Puree
until smooth. Put mixture into a mixing bowl. Add lemon juice and
pepper.
Stir in parsley. Serve with garlic toast.

---from Vegetarian Times Cookbook.

I don't follow it too strictly, but it's a good guide.

You can also find recipes for other types of tapenade using sun dried
tomatoes, green olives, and other interesting stuff.

appetizer Nonny[_2_] Barbecue 14 09-07-2010 10:36 PM
Salmon Appetizer ? Joshuall General Cooking 8 29-12-2007 07:11 PM
appetizer sf[_3_] General Cooking 1 22-11-2007 04:11 PM
Appetizer Pie [email protected] Recipes (moderated) 0 01-07-2007 04:34 AM
your BEST appetizer? readandpostrosie General Cooking 30 27-01-2007 07:06 PM